Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

So Rachel Holskin says all decisions for the entire Europe/Eurasia region should all be sent out by April 15!!

I had e-mailed her asking about Spain, but also said I was interested in any other updates she might be able to share for the message board. This is what she said:

"Unfortunately, at this point, we have not yet received selections from the Commission in Spain, which means I have absolutely nothing to share. The only thing I can say is that as soon as I receive the selections, we'll be issuing the notification letters.

As for the forum, we all know about it here - it's a great way for applicants to discuss amongst each other! As for my particular world region, we're largely ahead of the game, and I anticipate all notifications to be mailed out by April 15th. In the meantime, I'm happy to respond to any inquiries."

It sounds like FSB decisions have been made for Spain, and she is just waiting on the commission's decision.

So Rachel Holskin says all decisions for the entire Europe/Eurasia region should all be sent out by April 15!!

I had e-mailed her asking about Spain, but also said I was interested in any other updates she might be able to share for the message board. This is what she said:

"Unfortunately, at this point, we have not yet received selections from the Commission in Spain, which means I have absolutely nothing to share. The only thing I can say is that as soon as I receive the selections, we'll be issuing the notification letters.

As for the forum, we all know about it here - it's a great way for applicants to discuss amongst each other! As for my particular world region, we're largely ahead of the game, and I anticipate all notifications to be mailed out by April 15th. In the meantime, I'm happy to respond to any inquiries."

It sounds like FSB decisions have been made for Spain, and she is just waiting on the commission's decision.

That's great news Sally! Thanks for finding out for the region in general. :) I've been contemplating getting Rachel some flowers for all she has done for us. She's always been so cordial and helpful when we call her. Even though she's probably getting 10 calls a day asking the same thing.

Wait so, if HE doesn't expect to hear until April 30th, does that mean we won't hear until early May? Or does that mean WE won't hear until April 30th? They should email the results if it's so late!!

I asked my advisor today to clarify, sorry for the confusion! Here's what he said:

"[Jonathan] meant that he thinks that the finalists should know something by the 30th. No promises, but that's what he thinks."

I am a bit disappointed that it is so late even though it's just a week later than last year's notification date.

For Sub-Saharan Africa applicants:

At 4:30 today, Mr. Jones said that the commission has made its decisions, and that the packages were going to be sent out today, tomorrow or Wednesday to be received by Friday or early next week at the latest.

Good luck.

Lastly, thank you, Sally, for creating and managing the spreadsheet.

Take care, everyone.

Hello all,

I'm a finalist for the Taught MA in Ireland, and apparently my letter was mailed to my "current" address from when I was studying in the UK. Looks like another very painful week of waiting while they re-issue my letter! Has anyone had any luck finding out through means other than snail-mail? I called my coordinator, and got the same vague and brusque response it seems like a few of us have been getting for a while.

More from my back and forth with Rachel H:

Me: "This is actually very helpful! It sounds like the FSB has made decisions for Spain and you are only waiting on the Commission in Spain correct? If the FSB has decided, this is a development over what was last posted on the message board :)

Also, I am sure lots of people on the message board will be interested in the April 15 estimate for Europe/Eurasia decisions being sent out. I will share that information with the group!"

Rachel: "This is an expectation, not a promise, for everything to be mailed out by the 15th J But in any case, as for Spain, yes – the FSB approval arrived last week, so we are only awaiting the Commission’s selections.

Glad to hear you’re encouraging your fellow applicants!"

For Sub-Saharan Africa applicants:

At 4:30 today, Mr. Jones said that the commission has made its decisions, and that the packages were going to be sent out today, tomorrow or Wednesday to be received by Friday or early next week at the latest.

Good luck.

Lastly, thank you, Sally, for creating and managing the spreadsheet.

Take care, everyone.

Thank you so much for calling! This is a little earlier than I expected it would be.

More from my back and forth with Rachel H:

Me: "This is actually very helpful! It sounds like the FSB has made decisions for Spain and you are only waiting on the Commission in Spain correct? If the FSB has decided, this is a development over what was last posted on the message board :)

Also, I am sure lots of people on the message board will be interested in the April 15 estimate for Europe/Eurasia decisions being sent out. I will share that information with the group!"

Rachel: "This is an expectation, not a promise, for everything to be mailed out by the 15th J But in any case, as for Spain, yes – the FSB approval arrived last week, so we are only awaiting the Commission’s selections.

Glad to hear you’re encouraging your fellow applicants!"

Thanks for sharing this Sally-- we're almost there! Does anyone understand exactly what FSB approval is? Does Spain make the final selection and the FSB just approves the finalists who were pulled through in January? (...in fact which commission made the finalist decisions in jan?) Or, do Spain and the FSB make separate selections on which applicants they want and then the two lists get reconciled somehow?

Congrats to everyone who has been successful so far and to those who did not get it this time, i feel for you but there are always more opportunities =)

Hello German ETA-ers,

Do any of you know if Germany requires specific testing/bloodwork for the medical clearance? I just got my acceptance and am scrambling to get the medical component done. Thanks for your help!

Hello German ETA-ers,

Do any of you know if Germany requires specific testing/bloodwork for the medical clearance? I just got my acceptance and am scrambling to get the medical component done. Thanks for your help!

See the form and have you doctor fill out pages 2-4. For the bloodtest, everything that's required under the bloodtest is asked with it on the form to fill out, that comes with the acceptance letter...and my doctor just attached the big list of results...You will also need a TB skin test with the results and a pap smear + results if you are over 21 and female. There are also certain tests if you are over a certain age (see the form) but some say that they are optional.

Thanks for sharing this Sally-- we're almost there! Does anyone understand exactly what FSB approval is? Does Spain make the final selection and the FSB just approves the finalists who were pulled through in January? (...in fact which commission made the finalist decisions in jan?) Or, do Spain and the FSB make separate selections on which applicants they want and then the two lists get reconciled somehow?

Congrats to everyone who has been successful so far and to those who did not get it this time, i feel for you but there are always more opportunities =)

Yeah, that's about right. It seems like its the Spanish committee that really makes the selections. They decide to accept/reject/make alternates. The FSB just has to decide whether or not to give their stamp of approval to the finalist selections. Essentially, it sounds like they have veto power. But it's unclear how often they use it...

The intial finalist selections are made by a Fulbright "screening committee." So, presumably those are people who work for Fulbright but are not on the FSB board.

So essentially, the Spanish committee makes the final decisions. But those decisions are pending FSB approval, as well as availablity of funds. It sounds like the Fulbright office, where Rachel Holskin works, is what puts all the pieces together and sends out the notifications.

Edited by Sally

For the Nepal Kids out there. I just got this email from Cara:

Hi there,

You should feel like the lucky winner today! I actually have an answer…sort of! I just sent an email to State Department this morning asking permission to release the notification letters for Nepal. Fingers crossed we can send your letters out to you this week….if not, it will be very soon.

Thanks for checking in!

Cara

I feel a little nauseous.

Omg. Thank you, Sally! Now we just have to wait until next week (hopefully)!!!!!!

That's exciting news for all the Nepal finalists! Do you happen to know if Cara is taking the same action for India?

Ahhhh! Thanks for the update! I also feel a little nauseous. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Ahhhh! Thanks for the update! I also feel a little nauseous. Fingers crossed for everyone!

hahahahahaha sorry guys. The copy paste failed on me and I didn't get the chance to double check. Here's the real email:

Hi there,

You should feel like the lucky winner today! I actually have an answer…sort of! I just sent an email to State Department this morning asking permission to release the notification letters for Nepal. Fingers crossed we can send your letters out to you this week….if not, it will be very soon.

Thanks for checking in!

Cara

For all Egypt ETA applicants out there -

I got the following email from Jermaine Jones:

"Please know that I don’t yet have all of the clearance/approval information that I’ll need in order to send out notification letters for you and the other ETA finalists for Egypt. And I’m afraid that I don’t have a sense of when this information will be sent to me.

I’m sorry for the bad (or lack of) news, but hope you can hold on for what I hope is not too much longer. Thanks for your patience so far."

Seems like he has some of the clearance/approval information but not all of it. Hopefully it will be soon, but who knows!