Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

I got accepted for the Full Grant to Germany. I got a letter sent to my permanent residence (first letter came to my current address). It said I was granted the language course (which is a month earlier than the normal grant) and said that Full grants make either 750 or 1000 (if they are all but dissertation PhD students), so it looks like 750 to me. I hope that's enough. I think my affiliation professor said 900 euro/month would be good. We'll see :( But yay to a month longer grant, and a ramp up period to get used to speaking German and to Germany!!!! You also have a paid 2-3 week (or so) opportunity to live with a host family, ETAs and Full grants. It starts after the language course and normally at the beginning of the grant... now just to get the physical and 'apply' to my University.... :)

Hi BriGuy,

I too received notice of the monthly stipend. Since I am not ABD, I'm looking at 750 euros.

Hopefully that will be enough.

I did not get the language course, but am definitely interested in it. I suppose, though, since I was not offered it, I do not need it (?). If I may, what level is your German? --and does your project heavily rely on German language skills? PM me if need be, and thanks in advance for your response.

See you in Germany.

Best,

jim the zymurgist

(Full Grant) Fulbrighter

Fellow Denmark applicants,

I emailed Rachael Hoskin today, who just emailed back this response: "We plan on issuing FSB notification letters next Tuesday [3/30], mailed from New York, to your present address."

Just for information's sake for others wondering how long FSB approval seems to be taking in different cases, decisions were supposedly to have been made by the national commission in Denmark at the end of February (this from a phone call in early February to the coordinator for that commission in Copenhagen). So in this case, a month from country approval to letters being sent.

Good luck, all!

Hi BriGuy,

I too received notice of the monthly stipend. Since I am not ABD, I'm looking at 750 euros.

Hopefully that will be enough.

I did not get the language course, but am definitely interested in it. I suppose, though, since I was not offered it, I do not need it (?). If I may, what level is your German? --and does your project heavily rely on German language skills? PM me if need be, and thanks in advance for your response.

See you in Germany.

Best,

jim the zymurgist

(Full Grant) Fulbrighter

My German level is fair, but I could always use more practice. I don't really feel comfortable speaking it because I only do so through language exchanges online and a German language group I recently started up. I wouldn't say that my project needs it per se, but I did mention I wanted it in my grant proposal. I am doing a research project on microenergy harvesting and am planning on taking courses too. I think I will take the courses in English, because even in English the concepts will be difficult to grasp, but, if I could, I would like to take them in German to make the experience more immersive. Becoming fluent in German is one of my goals to work on during the year there :). I wish you luck. I guess we won't meet at the orientation because it seems the language and non-language groups are separated.

Re: FSB approval

Here is a Fulbright newsletter from 2005 that clearly explains the selection process:

http://newsletter.fulbrightonline.org/31.html

I think I am finally understanding it correctly. The foreign country will make the final nominations and the FSB has to make final approval of those nominations. At the same time, the Department of State determines final funding levels.

Edited by jtb01

Re: FSB approval

Here is a Fulbright newsletter from 2005 that clearly explains the selection process:

http://newsletter.fu...ine.org/31.html

I think I am finally understanding it correctly. The foreign country will make the final nominations and the FSB has to make final approval of those nominations. At the same time, the Department of State determines final funding levels.

That is the same article that I posted a link to yesterday! I actually think this other link is better because it's the only article on the page:

http://newsletter.fu...0D93354358.html

Anyway, I did not find it to be so clear. This is the line that really confused me:

"Individual country decisions and FSB approval are sent to IIE separately so final selections can be received anytime between the beginning of March to the end of May. "

It sounds like Individual countries send their decisions to IIE. And then, seperately, the FSB sends its decisions to IIE.

But isn't the FSB approval dependant on the individual country's decisions?! Or does IIE decide who to send letters to based on who has been approved by both entities?

I'm not clear on that.

Also I had posted a link to the FSB's past meeting schedule. And it shows that they only meet every three months. How is that possible? Do they some how approve students without holding meetings? maybe they have committee meetings, and the entire group doesn't need to meet. That is also not clear to me.

Edited by Sally

That is the same article that I posted a link to yesterday! I actually think this other link is better because it's the only article on the page:

http://newsletter.fu...0D93354358.html

Anyway, I did not find it to be so clear. This is the line that really confused me:

"Individual country decisions and FSB approval are sent to IIE separately so final selections can be received anytime between the beginning of March to the end of May. "

It sounds like Individual countries send their decisions to IIE. And then, seperately, the FSB sends its decisions to IIE.

But isn't the FSB approval dependant on the individual country's decisions?! Or does IIE decide who to send letters to based on who has been approved by both entities?

I'm not clear on that.

Also I had posted a link to the FSB's past meeting schedule. And it shows that they only meet every three months. How is that possible? Do they some how approve students without holding meetings? maybe they have committee meetings, and the entire group doesn't need to meet. That is also not clear to me.

oops, sorry Sally. From what it sounds like both in the newsletter and from the European program manager I think it means that the country decisions are sent to IIE independent of the FSB approval. I guess the FSB just has to have final approval for some reason (maybe security clearances or something?). I am getting burned out from all of the speculation and waiting.

On a more positive note: The waiting experience in the gradcafe this year has been much more positive and encouraging. We are a well-oiled, highly efficient online mob. The spread sheet was an excellent idea and will provide a great source of information to fulbright applicants for years to come!

To those of you discussing the grant benefits for Germany (750 Euros, 1000 for ABD), are there housing benefits in addition to that, or must rent come out of that 1000Euros?

I'm thinking that probably includes housing. Unfortunately. Although I heard that living off that is pretty doable.

To those of you discussing the grant benefits for Germany (750 Euros, 1000 for ABD), are there housing benefits in addition to that, or must rent come out of that 1000Euros?

Yeah, no extra funds. Housing for the conference (at a hotel) and the language course (at a dorm) are paid for out of a separate fund, but overall it seems those values are what you have to live on. I read you can work up to Euro 400 a month without your grant benefits changed, but you would still have to get it approved.

When I emailed Cara Doble, she told me that the finalist applications are sent to the FSB in Washington, D.C. and to the foreign commissions at the same time. Why would they do that if the foreign commissions make decisions that are forwarded to the FSB? Based on that information, it makes sense that the applications selected for approval go back and forth several times, which is what makes the process so long (and inefficient, if you ask me). After all, if the info doesn't just get forwarded from one link in the chain to the next, there is a higher chance of backtracking and confusion.

Anyway, I agree that it's grating on the nerves to speculate about such an opaque process. The time is going like molasses, but we'll all know sooner or later.

And I also agree that this year's forum is full of encouragement and support! Cheers to sticking together through this trial.

....And Egypt last year didn't let it's candidates know until May/June but that wasn't FSB's fault. (as far as I know)

OUCH! I'm waiting on Egypt and really hope that we aren't in it 'til May or June! I do know that a couple of years ago (AY 2007-08) the grantees found out mid-April, which is also painful, but I'm hoping for that!

Hello all,

I have been reading this thread for a while and thought it was time to join the posting!

Any other Egypt ETA applicants out there?

Here and waiting with you. At this point, I'm just hoping to find out in April...

Is anyone else applying for a Mandarin CLEA with their Fulbright China grant? I got an email from Jonathan saying that the summer CET program in Harbin has been canceled. That's a good thing for me since I haven't begun the application for the fall program yet (deadline May 1st, with rolling admissions.) Anyone know if they'll reimburse us the cost of applying of the application if admitted?

I'm moving the Turkey Fulbright ETA discussion to the forums, as it's a much better place to talk than the spreadsheet.

Here's what we've got so far:

Apps to Fulbright ETA went up "dramatically." They may have sent over more than 1/5-2x the number of available spots.

Can kbt or Mark expand on this more, give us a more complete explanation than on the spreadsheet? Also, can Mark explain what he means by "this is like Germany"?

The universe seems to be consistently working against me. The statistics for every program I apply to jump way up the year I apply.

Thanks!

**UPDATE** I came across this little gem of information today: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/documents/europe-onepager.pdf. According to this sheet, there were 70 application for 8 spots, up from 26 last year. WOW. I'm assuming "2009" means applied in 2009, because this page http://us.fulbrightonline.org/competition_europe.html says that for 2009-2010 there were 26 awards. Make of these numbers what you will...

Edited by SVN

**UPDATE** I came across this little gem of information today: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/documents/europe-onepager.pdf. According to this sheet, there were 70 application for 8 spots, up from 26 last year. WOW. I'm assuming "2009" means applied in 2009, because this page http://us.fulbrightonline.org/competition_europe.html says that for 2009-2010 there were 26 awards. Make of these numbers what you will...

I'm pretty sure that page with the 2009 stats was online in the fall, so I think it reflects the applications and awards from last year.

I'm pretty sure that page with the 2009 stats was online in the fall, so I think it reflects the applications and awards from last year.

Confusing to me, because the website says for 2009-2010, there were 26 applicants, whereas the info sheet contradicts that. I thought that jump from 26-70 would explain the delay, and I think it refers to application year. It's hard to imagine that there was another significant jump beyond 100...

Confusing to me, because the website says for 2009-2010, there were 26 applicants, whereas the info sheet contradicts that. I thought that jump from 26-70 would explain the delay, and I think it refers to application year. It's hard to imagine that there was another significant jump beyond 100...

Not sure if this helps but I know the Competition Statistics for OUR year (2010-2011 Fulbright) will be online in early April.

U.S. Fulbright Scholars

Final Notification Spreadsheet

Edited by BMCGirl10

Hey guys, I'm new. I just heard on Monday (the 22nd) that I got accepted as a Germany ETA for 2010-2011. And my main question is about our funding/allowances - I've been having a lot of trouble figuring those out.

On the site (the Fulbright US one) it says we will be getting our round trip covered, paid living expense and some medical insurance. But if you go look on the Germany Fulbright page, it's says ETAs are run all by the PAD, which in their circulars and for the ETA program in general, says they will give us an allowance of 700-800 Euro/month. Is this the same thing as what the Fulbright US thing was referring to when they said they would pay us for living espenses, or will we get funds from both the PAD and the Fulbright grant, one for living costs and one for whatever else? Even harder for me to interpret is how to figure that out, when the circulars say some grantees will get it from the Bundeslaender, some from Fulbright, and some from the Fed. Government. Is this all just the same 700-800 Euros? If not is it for living expenses or just extra? I hope I didn't write this too confusingly. Has anybody heard or know? Thanks!