Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Hi everyone. Just a question: have any of you felt like you've gotten a bad attitude from a regional program manager this year? By all accounts, last year they were just as vague, but also somewhat sympathetic. However, yesterday I emailed the relevant regional manager to ask whether the applications were in Nepal or in Washington, and she replied with an email that I didn't understand and seemed a little condescending. The gist of it was that the process was "twofold" and no notifications went out until both approvals were received.

I did not understand that by "twofold" she meant that applications are sent out to the country commissions and to the FSB in Washington, D.C. at the same time in January. When I emailed back for clarification, she got defensive, telling me her answer had been "perfectly acceptable." I feel a little stupid for not understanding what she meant immediately.

However, it is really unnerving to feel like just asking a simple question is antagonizing someone who is an important liaison. I'm even feeling a little down in the dumps and wishing I hadn't asked in the first place, which strikes me as an unfair feeling.

Has anyone else had any worries like this?

Hi everyone. Just a question: have any of you felt like you've gotten a bad attitude from a regional program manager this year? By all accounts, last year they were just as vague, but also somewhat sympathetic. However, yesterday I emailed the relevant regional manager to ask whether the applications were in Nepal or in Washington, and she replied with an email that I didn't understand and seemed a little condescending. The gist of it was that the process was "twofold" and no notifications went out until both approvals were received.

I did not understand that by "twofold" she meant that applications are sent out to the country commissions and to the FSB in Washington, D.C. at the same time in January. When I emailed back for clarification, she got defensive, telling me her answer had been "perfectly acceptable." I feel a little stupid for not understanding what she meant immediately.

However, it is really unnerving to feel like just asking a simple question is antagonizing someone who is an important liaison. I'm even feeling a little down in the dumps and wishing I hadn't asked in the first place, which strikes me as an unfair feeling.

I did feel like my regional program manager was kind of short with me when I was asking her questions before I submitted my application. She just kept referring me to published information, and was not really very helpful.

I think these people are probably overwhelmed and annoyed with the barage of redudant questions they are getting. If someone snapped at you, I doubt its anything personal. Even if it is, I'm pretty sure these program managers don't have any say in who does and doesn't get a grant. Plus, at worst, you're on the same playing field as scores of other people who have asked their program managers seemingly stupid questions.

I think these program managers could save themselves a lot of trouble and frustration if they just created a blog where they publicly answered people's questions! That way no one would have to ask the same question twice -- or 27 times!

Edited by Sally

Hi anon,

I'm in the same boat as you, also applied for a full grant to Germany and also found out that I've been named an alternate. I'm not certain about the probability of our getting the grant, however, a good friend of mine was named an alternate for Japan a few years ago and was awarded the full grant after additional funding became available. Like the Japanese grant pool, the German endowment is pretty large and I am hoping that they will be able to procure additional funding. I can't say that I'm surprised about my alternate status...my German skills are intermediate at best...but I'm just trying to stay positive.

Did you apply for any other fellowships, from the DAAD, for instance?

I'm sorry you had that experience! I must say my regional manager (for Europe-Rachel Holskin) has been quite incredible and patient with me. I can't imagine how many calls/emails she must be getting everyday this time of year but she's always very pleasant! Don't worry about it, I'm sure it was nothing personal and given how many applicants there are, I doubt the regional manager even remembers it! Just hang in there and hope for good news :)

Edited by schatzie414

My program manager has never been anything but standoffish. I've always addressed him as "Mr. Akeley." I don't plan on contacting him unless I didn't receive any notification on my status until say, May, because I know I probably wouldn't get very helpful answers from him.

Hi anon,

I'm in the same boat as you, also applied for a full grant to Germany and also found out that I've been named an alternate. I'm not certain about the probability of our getting the grant, however, a good friend of mine was named an alternate for Japan a few years ago and was awarded the full grant after additional funding became available. Like the Japanese grant pool, the German endowment is pretty large and I am hoping that they will be able to procure additional funding. I can't say that I'm surprised about my alternate status...my German skills are intermediate at best...but I'm just trying to stay positive.

Did you apply for any other fellowships, from the DAAD, for instance?

hey liz,

here's hoping things will turn out well for us! it's frustrating to still be waiting, but at least there's still a chance... good to know about your friend in the Japan program. What kind of program did you apply for? (i'm a musician).

i applied for the daad as well, but haven't heard anything, which i believe means that i am also an alternate for that program- i think the acceptances and rejections went out already. what about you?

I'm a Taiwan ETA applicant, so I'm thinking I'll hear back the first week of April or so (according to last years thread).

This is a little off the topic of some of the posts but...Does anyone who applied for CLEA know how the process works if we are accepted?

For Taiwan ETAs, you must do the two month summer program, go to Taiwan orientation in September, then do private tutoring during the year (since the schedule is not really flexible). Since we put a program and university on our CLEA application, will Fulbright prepare that if you are selected? Like set up and register, etc? Maybe some people with Fulbrighter friends will have some idea?

hey liz,

here's hoping things will turn out well for us! it's frustrating to still be waiting, but at least there's still a chance... good to know about your friend in the Japan program. What kind of program did you apply for? (i'm a musician).

i applied for the daad as well, but haven't heard anything, which i believe means that i am also an alternate for that program- i think the acceptances and rejections went out already. what about you?

hey anon

im an artist who also applied for both fulbright full and daad grants. dont count yourself out of daad. i have not yet heard from either organization...and daad said notification to follow in the coming weeks when i called them last week...

drueck die daumen

Edited by marcsfo

My program manager has never been anything but standoffish. I've always addressed him as "Mr. Akeley." I don't plan on contacting him unless I didn't receive any notification on my status until say, May, because I know I probably wouldn't get very helpful answers from him.

i've had a similar experience with him. where are you applying to? full or eta? i'm full for singapore...

ccaraway, did you apply to a CSC host institution? Are you filling the application right now? It feels so cruel to me that they make us fill an application and go through all the motions _as if_ we'll win the grant, when we don't know whether or not we'll get it...<_<

Liz - I got a DAAD grant notification already but rejected for the Fulbright. I think it was probably the benefit of being able to write a 5 page research summary for DAAD with a bibliography. Would you (and Zymurgist, if he reads this) be willing to let me look at your Fulbright project submissions? You could send them via Private Message on here or PM me with your email address. I promise I'm not an online marketer or anything :)

Liz - I got a DAAD grant notification already but rejected for the Fulbright. I think it was probably the benefit of being able to write a 5 page research summary for DAAD with a bibliography. Would you (and Zymurgist, if he reads this) be willing to let me look at your Fulbright project submissions? You could send them via Private Message on here or PM me with your email address. I promise I'm not an online marketer or anything :)

Actually, I've been somewhat curious re. other proposals.

With the hope of helping others, I'd be happy to try and answer specific questions re. my own writing process for the proposal on this public forum. Perhaps others, as well, can chime in on a potential new thread/topic: what are the top three (or some other arbitrary number) suggestions you have when it comes to writing a Fulbright Statement of Grant Purpose?

Best,

J the Z

I'm a Taiwan ETA applicant, so I'm thinking I'll hear back the first week of April or so (according to last years thread).

This is a little off the topic of some of the posts but...Does anyone who applied for CLEA know how the process works if we are accepted?

For Taiwan ETAs, you must do the two month summer program, go to Taiwan orientation in September, then do private tutoring during the year (since the schedule is not really flexible). Since we put a program and university on our CLEA application, will Fulbright prepare that if you are selected? Like set up and register, etc? Maybe some people with Fulbrighter friends will have some idea?

Hey Pomchem,

I'm a CLEA and Taiwan ETA applicant as well. From what I understand, the program from CLEA recipients is pretty much set up in advance. They application had a section where you could suggest a location/program, as you stated, but I don't think that is necessarily where you will end up if selected. Honestly, that's about all I know It's pretty wild that we don't hear until April and could be leaving in June!

I talked to Rachel Holskin, Europe's coordinator, about an hour ago. She told me that Lithuania has not made their decisions yet and will not until the end of March. She also said I should recieve notification in mid to late April. I actually feel quite relieved - it's really strange. Up until this morning I've been checking my temporary mail twice a day and calling my parents frantically at my permanent address in order to get them to check THEIR mail. Now that I know that I won't know for another month I can relax, get out of my senioritis slump, and get some work done!

i've had a similar experience with him. where are you applying to? full or eta? i'm full for singapore...

I applied for a Full grant to China. Good luck:)

ccaraway, did you apply to a CSC host institution? Are you filling the application right now? It feels so cruel to me that they make us fill an application and go through all the motions _as if_ we'll win the grant, when we don't know whether or not we'll get it...<_<

Nope, my institution wasn't part of CSC. I had to get my affiliation to ask the Foreign Affairs Office at the university to ask what it would take to admit a Fulbright visiting student, but that was all I had to do so far. Which university are you applying to? I put my affiliation as Shenzhen University.

Hey Pomchem,

I'm a CLEA and Taiwan ETA applicant as well. From what I understand, the program from CLEA recipients is pretty much set up in advance. They application had a section where you could suggest a location/program, as you stated, but I don't think that is necessarily where you will end up if selected. Honestly, that's about all I know It's pretty wild that we don't hear until April and could be leaving in June!

I figured that must be how they arrange it. Thanks for the input! Yeah its definitely crazy to wait until April to possibly leave in June. That was why I figured they must set-up programs of their own, probably in Taipei. Good luck! Here's to a few more weeks of waiting.

Hi Pooja,

I'm also a finalist for India. I haven't gotten any sort of notification yet. I live in India and I have several friends who are Fulbrighters here. They've all told me that they received their notification sometime between April 15 -20, which means we have another month of waiting!

I also tried contacting the Fulbright office and they gave me the vague "sometime between now and June" answer.

Good luck!

Rachel

Hey Rachel,

Wow, its so nice to hear back from another Fulbright finalist for India! Did you apply for the full grant or ETA?

I called Cara Doble again, and she told me that India has made their decisions and the recommended applications have been forwarded to the FSB board. She said we should ideally hear back by early April, but it could take as long as May. Keep me posted if you hear any more updates, and good luck!

- Pooja

Edited by Pooja_2010

Hello Everyone,

Congratulations to those of you who have been awarded the scholarship. I'm a finalist for an ETA to Italy. Didn't see anyone else for Italy out there so I thought I'd pop in, and provide insight for candidates applying for next year. Based on last year's results I'm not expecting to hear for another 2 months or so. Unfortunately, I have to let my top choice grad school know whether or not I'll be attending next year. If I do get the Fulbright I will arrange to defer. Has anyone had issues with this?

C

Greetings All,

Looks like the Pre-departure Orientation schedules are up: http://fulbright.sta...ov/orientation/

Best,

jim the zymurgist

Not that you would necessarily know, zymurgist, but is no post for East Asia... does that mean that they have not determined when our orientation will be, or that we don't have one? I've already starting planning my festival/camping trip for the summer, and I'd really like to know before I spend $200 on a ticket. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Not that you would necessarily know, zymurgist, but is no post for East Asia... does that mean that they have not determined when our orientation will be, or that we don't have one? I've already starting planning my festival/camping trip for the summer, and I'd really like to know before I spend $200 on a ticket. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Hey Nikkola, from reading last year's thread it looks like Fulbright will pay for your orientation plane ticket and lodgings, so no worries about that. I think China is the only East Asian country to have a Washington D.C. orientation. The other countries may have in-country orientations.

Hey Nikkola, from reading last year's thread it looks like Fulbright will pay for your orientation plane ticket and lodgings, so no worries about that. I think China is the only East Asian country to have a Washington D.C. orientation. The other countries may have in-country orientations.

That would be just lovely. I'm not concerned about paying for the lodgings, just the dates. I also found out from the IIE advisor that applicants for Vietnam won't be informed until mid-april. A small sigh of temporary relief, but the waiting is killing me!

Guys, could you stop messing with the color and the formatting on the spreadsheet?! I've been trying to keep it consistent and other people keep changing what I do!

If you do change things.. these are my requests:

1. Don't use fluorescent colors unless you're highlighting something that needs special attention. It's blinding and unnecessary.

2. Don't make the word "rejected" fire engine red, and "accepted" bright green. Can't we be more subtle? Have some compassion!

3. Don't make the columns wider. I'm talking to you Mac users. I know it shows up much differently when you're using Safari or Firefox. But, for those of us as work using Internet Explorer 7, keep the columns as narrow as possible, please!! Otherwise I -- I mean we -- have to scroll right a whole lot and it's tedious.

4. Don't color code new categories. We've got enough colors to deal with.

----

Ok that's it. However DO feel free to add new categories that you think would be especially useful (postmark date, and "which address" were both good additions).

Anyway, if you really want to change something fundamental that would be tedious for someone to change back... e-mail me first : sallyatiemadrid@gmail.com

Also, note that there's a chat function on the spreadsheet, and you can talk to others who are viewing at the same time. I might actually be online the same time as you are, so you can just go in the chat and mention your proposed change before you make it. Or you can run it by whoever else is in there and they can at least give you an opinion on your potentially garish color choices :P

Thank you!

Edited by Sally