Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Meh....Don't feel bad, I did it too. Being resourceful is not a crime! :D

Me too. Plus, I'm not sure it was accidental; it sounds like IIE sent three un-BCCed emails (2 to ETAs, 1 to researchers).

Edited by geilezeit

I've been following this forum for weeks, but now that another Swiss finalist has made him-/herself known, I think it's time I join the conversation! Venkatmer99 - it's nice to meet you! :) I'm also a full grant finalist for Switzerland, and yes, I also received a request for additional materials back in December. I read somewhere that they request additional documents from anyone they're considering for the finalist round.

Not to scare you, but I was contacted by someone at the Swiss Embassy for an interview in mid-January. It was merely to discuss my language background, because apparently I'm being considered for an additional grant for intensive language study over the summer (if you check the Swiss Fulbright website, it says in the language requirements section that some Swiss Fulbrighters might get this). We chatted about a couple of other things, but mainly it was just about the language thing. And yes, it was really informal! I really wouldn't stress about not getting a call. Maybe your knowledge of French/German/Italian is much stronger than mine!

Also, I contacted a past Swiss Fulbrighter several weeks ago, and she told me that she was informed of a final decision in early April. But, that was two years ago, so I don't know if that will still be the case this year, but hopefully it will. The guy I spoke with at the Swiss Embassy in January told me to expect a notification in May, but I think they just say that because its the latest time you would expect to hear a notification (as in, you might hear earlier, but don't freak out if you don't).

We should definitely exchange emails so we can commisserate/freak out together!

@Fonduelover: Really cool on the interview. I did mention that I had pretty much no background in German (as of December) but I am taking German language classes this semester in anticipation (... in desperation hahaha...), so maybe that has something to do with it. Nonetheless, it's nice to know there's someone else in the same boat. I phoned the IIE office yesterday, and Ms. Holskin told me that she anticipates a late March / early April decision. Anyways... until I figure out how to PM you, we can keep chatting this way hahaha

Is anyone feeling like the Fulbright waiting process is interfering with making plans for the oh-so-near future? I hate turning down job offers waiting for this sad.gif

I think we should all assume that we're *not* going to get the award. So, if you get a job offer that you would take if you knew you weren't getting the fulbright -- TAKE IT!

The worst that could happen is you find you you DID get the fulbright and you have to leave your new job after only a few months. I think your employer will understand the sitatuation... and, if not, then too bad haha. There are other people you can work for when you get back who will value your Fublright experience and understand why you left the other job.

You can't put your life on hold because you're waiting to find out about the Fulbright. Remember, the chance is about 50/50. I wouldn't make big life decisions based on an event that's only 50 percent likely to happen.

One of the current EU Fulbrights is in Belgium with me. Let me know if you want to be put in contact!

If you could put me in contact with the current EU Fulbright, I would really appreciate it.

I contacted Rachel Holskin today, and she told me that the EU has already made their decisions, but that they are still awaiting the final FSB selection. I was wondering if the current EU Fulbright might know how long it takes for the final FSB decision to be made after the EU makes its selection.

If I am fortunate enough to be awarded the grant, I would love to talk to a current EU Fulbright about their experience.

Thanks!

Edited by MAB1980

Hey,

Im not a finalist for Brazil, but I lived in Minas Gerias for a year in high school (rotary youth exchange) and spent last summer interning at the US Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro. I cant answer anything really about the Fulbright Commission in Brazil, although I know the Fulbrighters in Rio this summer worked with PontifĂ­cia Universidade CatĂ³lica. However if you have any questions about Brazilian culture, Portuguese, living in Brazil....ect just let me know!

-mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you! I will be sure to contact you with any questions I may have. Would you by any chance remember when they said they heard back about thier acceptance?

Obrigada de novo!

Lauren

I'm the Germany applicant who "messed" with the BCC'd email so I thought I'd clarify and clear up the confusion (particularly for the person who said "kudos" because I'm confused about the implications as well). By "mess" I simply meant I quickly copied and pasted all the emails into Excel, transposed them, filtered them and then simply looked at the number of rows - 220 (I removed duplicates as well so they were all unique emails).

I'm not going to post the excel file cause I think that'd be wrong - kind of like it was probably wrong to BCC everyone in the first place :-) All I will say is that the list of schools that the applicants come from (determined by cutting off the first half of each email, or what comes before the @ in each address) was intimidating to say the least - Berkeleys, Harvards, Princetons, Browns, etc. etc. I don't hail from a school like that so it was intimidating to say the least.

Finally, before thinking I have way too much time on my hands, this all took about two minutes with Excel (I'm a financial analyst who works with Excel all day long) - so I didn't actually sit there and count 220 emails :-)

Cheers

Yes, I would have done the same in your situation and would have done it even it took me forever. That is what I meant :)

I think we should all assume that we're *not* going to get the award. So, if you get a job offer that you would take if you knew you weren't getting the fulbright -- TAKE IT!

The worst that could happen is you find you you DID get the fulbright and you have to leave your new job after only a few months. I think your employer will understand the sitatuation... and, if not, then too bad haha. There are other people you can work for when you get back who will value your Fublright experience and understand why you left the other job.

You can't put your life on hold because you're waiting to find out about the Fulbright. Remember, the chance is about 50/50. I wouldn't make big life decisions based on an event that's only 50 percent likely to happen.

Agreed.

Does anyone know how long the final State Department clearance process takes (after the host country has made their selections)? Also, does anyone know what the State Department clearance process entails?

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

Has anyone else here applied to the UK program? If so, you apply to a specific grant within the program? Also, have you heard anything about an interview yet?

I applied to the UK postgraduate program, not specific, and I haven't heard anything or been invited to a phone interview...have you? Have any others been invited to interviews? Does this mean I'm out of the running? It's been a stressful week.

Does anyone know how long the final State Department clearance process takes (after the host country has made their selections)? Also, does anyone know what the State Department clearance process entails?

Thanks in advance.

I've read within in a matter of a couple weeks to over a month. You have to get medical clearance, that's for sure, but what that entails, I'm clueless.

For those applicants hoping to go to Germany - does everyone speak German?? (I don't speak a word :-( just curious).

Also, anyone here apply for a DAAD grant as well?

I speak German, though I am not fluent. My reading and writing is far better than my conversation skills. My proposed research project, though, relies heavily on my German reading skills. Are you a full-grant, or ETA applicant?

I also applied to DAAD...but the afternoon I mailed in my application along with copies of my proposals I noticed a glaring, careless mistake in my proposal that I thought I had taken care of in my editing phases. Turns out I printed the wrong version of my proposal (not the final version) and sent it in. So, after having a FML moment, I calmly accepted that I probably drastically reduced my chances at getting the grant. Oh well.

All the Best,

jim the zymurgist

I like to meditate by cycling over 100 miles per week, and drinking beer; keeps things in perspective.

Nice! I also like to ride! And I am also brewing up an oatmeal stout this weekend. I recently bought an accordion (Incredibly nerdy you say? Agreed.) to learn as another means to distract me from the wait.

We are entering the home stretch! I am sure in about ten days the results will begin trickling in. Good luck!

Hey all, this is primarily for applicants to Germany:

Do any of you who applied to DAAD as well know when DAAD sends its notifications out? I applied to DAAD back when I applied for the Fulbright (Research in Germany), but haven't heard anything back from DAAD at all, other than that they received my application. Thanks and good luck to you all!!

Waiting is so hard!!!! I just want to commiserate with people who are in the same boat. Good luck to everyone! I applied for a research grant to Moldova and I know that the public affairs office in Chisinau already sent its recommendations back to the US so it seems like this is the final stretch...

Edited by malinochka

Hey all, this is primarily for applicants to Germany:

Do any of you who applied to DAAD as well know when DAAD sends its notifications out? I applied to DAAD back when I applied for the Fulbright (Research in Germany), but haven't heard anything back from DAAD at all, other than that they received my application. Thanks and good luck to you all!!

skorkie - I also applied for a DAAD scholarship; there's a lot of different types so I'm not sure if we applied to the same - I applied for a study scholarship to fund my master's studies in Germany. I was told that DAAD notification would be made by late March or "sooner if possible" - I'm not sure if they send out notifications for all the various types of DAAD scholarships at the same time, but if you also applied for a study scholarship, I guess this is the month when we'll find out - eek! good luck :)

Nice! I also like to ride! And I am also brewing up an oatmeal stout this weekend. I recently bought an accordion (Incredibly nerdy you say? Agreed.) to learn as another means to distract me from the wait.

We are entering the home stretch! I am sure in about ten days the results will begin trickling in. Good luck!

Accordian? Way jealous; I've wanted to learn to play for a while. Totally OT from Fulbright anxiety, but do you have previous musical experience? What are your thoughts on learning accordian? (I am a fellow nerd).

Also: oatmeal stout - delish.

And I'm psyched for cycling season coming up; I have an old single speed I like rambling around on.

Warning: this is maybe the most hypocritical post ever because by posting in this forum, I am sure you can guess what my "status" in the Fulbright competition is.

My Fulbright advisor told me not to tell anyone (besides my immediate family) about my status in the Fulbright competition as to whether or not I am a finalist or not a finalist until the final decisions are made. Was anyone else told this? Is this common practice or something my advisor made up? Just curious...

Thanks in advance!

Warning: this is maybe the most hypocritical post ever because by posting in this forum, I am sure you can guess what my "status" in the Fulbright competition is.

My Fulbright advisor told me not to tell anyone (besides my immediate family) about my status in the Fulbright competition as to whether or not I am a finalist or not a finalist until the final decisions are made. Was anyone else told this? Is this common practice or something my advisor made up? Just curious...

Thanks in advance!

My advisor didn't say anything of this sort, though he told me that campus advisors don't find out anything after the finalist round; id est, if one is a grant recipient, the campus advisor isn't alerted.

Did your advisor explain why telling people is a bad idea? (Outside of the invariable "well, I was a finalist but I didn't make it/I'm an alternate/whatever" type situation). At any rate, good luck to you and your purely hypothetical Fulbright status :)

My advisor didn't say anything of this sort, though he told me that campus advisors don't find out anything after the finalist round; id est, if one is a grant recipient, the campus advisor isn't alerted.

Did your advisor explain why telling people is a bad idea? (Outside of the invariable "well, I was a finalist but I didn't make it/I'm an alternate/whatever" type situation). At any rate, good luck to you and your purely hypothetical Fulbright status :)

No, my advisor didn't give me any rational as to why I shouldn't tell anyone about my status. To be safe, I'll just keep my mouth shut until I get the final word

No, my advisor didn't give me any rational as to why I shouldn't tell anyone about my status. To be safe, I'll just keep my mouth shut until I get the final word

Why not ask him? It doesn't make sense to me why he would ask you to do this.

Who does he mean by "anyone"? Why would anyone really care?

Also, what if your mom tells her hairdresser? Is that OK?

Really absurd request; if you ask him about his rationale I am really curious!

Edited by Sally