Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Hi everyone! I'm a finalist for a full grant to Nepal. Congratulations to everyone who's made it through the first round.

I have heard that final notifications go out by postal mail, as opposed to email...does anyone know if that's true?

From last year's thread, it seems like all final decisions are sent out from New York as normal mail. So, let the waiting begin! :)

Hi knownothing! I am also a finalist (at-large) for a research grant to Nepal. What's your field and topic? Did you apply at-large or through a school? I'm so curious to know about the other applicants for Nepal! My proposal is in medical anthropology, to work with amchis/doctors in the Tibetan diaspora population in Boudhanath, Kathmandu, researching the Tibetan medical perspective on the clinical definition of death and end-of-life issues and technologies.

Hey! I actually applied through my school. I proposed to study the internal migration of young women carpet weavers. I had kind of a difficult time pinning down my field, but I think I chose population studies? Your project sounds awesome! I lived in an apartment for a bit in Boudha last year. By far the most amazing experience ever. Here's hoping to both getting it and meeting in person yeah? haha.

hi all,

is this anyones second time to apply for a fulbright? i made it to this stage last year and again this year. also, i was wondering if anybody has known of an applicant in the past that has been awarded a grant when reapplying.

I got a Full Grant my second time, though the country I applied to the second time was more difficult.

I was surprised to find out that they don't necessarily award the number of grants that are listed as available. The program that I got into for this year only awarded 75 percent of the number listed on the Fulbright website. I'm not sure why.

Edited by JBrodsky

I was surprised to find out that they don't necessarily award the number of grants that are listed as available. The program that I got into for this year only awarded 75 percent of the number listed on the Fulbright website. I'm not sure why.

I heard that happening with the China full grant as well. I think there was something like 70 grants available, and according to this Fulbright newsletter:

"The Fulbright Program in China received an all-time high of 175 applications for the 2009-2010 program year. However, the quality of the applications submitted has not kept pace, which is why only 52 Fulbrighters are going to China this year."

I heard that happening with the China full grant as well. I think there was something like 70 grants available, and according to this Fulbright newsletter:

"The Fulbright Program in China received an all-time high of 175 applications for the 2009-2010 program year. However, the quality of the applications submitted has not kept pace, which is why only 52 Fulbrighters are going to China this year."

oh wow, sure keeps us on our toes then! i hope they spread that leftover money to other countries in the same year then....rather than rolling it to the next year for China.

hey, ETA finalist for Macau here......anyone else? any insight into when we might be hearing? are there some programs that traditionally hear sooner than other?

thanks,

Mike

I spoke with one of the program managers at IIE and she said that notifications from countries differ from year to year so it can be hard to predict when you'll hear back. However, I would contact the program manager for Macau and see if she/he can tell you where they are in the selection process. A week and a half ago I contacted the program manager for Turkey, and she told me she had not heard of any updates yet, but that I can e-mail her periodically to see if there are.

Edited by yumsley

Hey,

Another question. I currently have apps out to Johns Hopkins-SAIS, Syracuse-PD, and Georgetown MSFS for my masters (I will attempt to defer if I get the Fulbright as well as get into one of these programs, but I may be counting my chickens before they're hatched). My question is, since I probably won't hear from these programs until mid-March would it be a good idea to let their respective admissions offices know that I am an ETA finalist for Macau to bolster my application? or would it hurt me in the end because they might not want to offer me admission if I am just going to defer if I end up getting the Fulbright?

thanks

Greetings, I'm an ETA finalist trying to plan my summer... is it true that (if we get selected) there may be a required pre departure training in DC at some point in the summer? I feel like I read or heard this somewhere... If yes, any idea what dates it would be scheduled or what dates it was last year? Thanks!

Greetings, I'm an ETA finalist trying to plan my summer... is it true that (if we get selected) there may be a required pre departure training in DC at some point in the summer? I feel like I read or heard this somewhere... If yes, any idea what dates it would be scheduled or what dates it was last year? Thanks!

I did some searching. I know that each Fulbright 'region' has a separate Fulbright Orientation.

Last year the Fulbright group for the Americas (i.e. Latin America and the Caribbean I assume) met from June 25-27. http://fulbright.state.gov/orientation/wha-ch/orientation-schedule

Middle East and North Africa met from June 24-26 http://fulbright.state.gov/orientation/af-nea-sca/orientation-schedule/middle-east-and-north-africa-orientation-schedule

South and Central Asia from June 24-26 http://fulbright.state.gov/orientation/af-nea-sca/orientation-schedule/south-and-central-asia-orientation-schedule

Sub-Saharan Africa from June 24-26 http://fulbright.state.gov/orientation/af-nea-sca/orientation-schedule/sub-saharan-africa-orientation-schedule

The site wasn't working perfectly so I couldn't access the dates for Western Europe and China.

Edited by BMCGirl10

I did some searching. I know that each Fulbright 'region' has a separate Fulbright Orientation.

Last year the Fulbright group for the Americas (i.e. Latin America and the Caribbean I assume) met from June 25-27. http://fulbright.sta...tation-schedule

Middle East and North Africa met from June 24-26 http://fulbright.sta...tation-schedule

South and Central Asia from June 24-26 http://fulbright.sta...tation-schedule

Sub-Saharan Africa from June 24-26 http://fulbright.sta...tation-schedule

The site wasn't working perfectly so I couldn't access the dates for Western Europe and China.

It says Europe and Eurasia was July 22-24: http://fulbright.sta...tation-schedule

Although, this information is kind of useless because they could do it in a totally different order this year!

Edited by Sally

It says Europe and Eurasia was July 22-24: http://fulbright.sta...tation-schedule

Although, this information is kind of useless because they could do it in a totally different order this year!

I wonder why Europe and Eurasia were scheduled so far out? Maybe it's just that they have more Fulbright scholars than any other region.

I wonder why Europe and Eurasia were scheduled so far out? Maybe it's just that they have more Fulbright scholars than any other region.

Not sure! One a somewhat related note, I just had an email exchange with a 2009 grantee for Spain (which is the country I'm a finalist for). She said she didn't find out her result until late April!! She said she got her notification by mail. So, to other Spain applicants, expect a long wait ahead of you :(

Not sure! One a somewhat related note, I just had an email exchange with a 2009 grantee for Spain (which is the country I'm a finalist for). She said she didn't find out her result until late April!! She said she got her notification by mail. So, to other Spain applicants, expect a long wait ahead of you :(

Hey Sally,

I hope this helps! My friend got a ETA Fulbright to Spain for '07-'08. She found out on Monday, April 2nd 2007.

Edited by BMCGirl10

I just registered here so I could see what the 2010-11 Fulbright applicants were saying. I applied for a research grant to the Czech Republic; I study Czech (and Polish and Yiddish) in graduate school and also rare books and manuscripts (joint MA/MLS program) ... My proposed research is affiliated with a rare book/manuscript repository there, to work on an English language bibliography. Exciting stuff, but I'm terrified and just about going out of my mind with anxiety.

Ms. Lionheart,

I applied for a research grant to Poland where I plan to complete legal research regarding the laws of public protest both now and prior to 1989. We'll be pretty close neighbors if the news on selection day is positive! Where are you planning to affiliate in the Czech Republic (I used to live there)?

Hey! I actually applied through my school. I proposed to study the internal migration of young women carpet weavers. I had kind of a difficult time pinning down my field, but I think I chose population studies? Your project sounds awesome! I lived in an apartment for a bit in Boudha last year. By far the most amazing experience ever. Here's hoping to both getting it and meeting in person yeah? haha.

That also sounds like an excellent project! Was migration studies not an option? Ah well, sounds like something that falls vaguely under anthropology, which tends to be a vague field in general, haha. I love Boudha...hoping to be living there for the next year! How is your Nepali language? Good luck, I'm right there with you--here's to getting the grants and meeting in Nepal.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently an applicant for a research and study grant to Germany but I was an applicant last year as well so I thought I'd lend my rusted two cents.

Regarding how you will be informed, I was an "alternate" and my first communication after the first round was via snail mail, a simple letter from the IIE that frankly stopped my heart for a second (quick note, while it was definitely an honor to be named an alternate candidate, it was quite possibly the worst route cause they don't ever tell you "no", they just say maybe all the way through the summer - obviously I didn't get it in the end). I received that letter during the first week of April so I'd expect something similar this year. Also, I believe the admissions are on a rolling basis (per someone at the Fulbright office in NY) so surely we'll hear about successful grantees as soon as they start rolling out, guessing sometime in March.

Regarding the passport photo email, I downloaded the CC list (can't believe she didn't BLIND CC!!!) and messed with it in excel and indeed there are roughly 220 names on it. Kind of discouraging since there really should have been a max of 120 - 160 per their email right? (the website says 90 but if you click on it 10 are non research grants). I received the same email last year however they definitely BCC'd everyone so no clue how many there were.

I believe this was mentioned already but just wanted to reiterate - there are actually two boards left to clear ater the first round. The in country one (so in my case Germany's) and one more here in the states. This is directly from someone in the NY office. She was super friendly and said most people don't realize that.

Hope this was helpful.

For those applicants hoping to go to Germany - does everyone speak German?? (I don't speak a word :-( just curious).

Also, anyone here apply for a DAAD grant as well?