Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

I just registered here so I could see what the 2010-11 Fulbright applicants were saying. I applied for a research grant to the Czech Republic; I study Czech (and Polish and Yiddish) in graduate school and also rare books and manuscripts (joint MA/MLS program) ... My proposed research is affiliated with a rare book/manuscript repository there, to work on an English language bibliography. Exciting stuff, but I'm terrified and just about going out of my mind with anxiety.

To everyone who contributed to us knowing exactly when, THANKS! It means a lot, but...

Did anyone else have a palpitation when they realized that the results are coming in less than 24 hours? I did a damn good job of blocking out my results until I read the last few posts! Now I can't waitttt...Good luck to you all!

To everyone who contributed to us knowing exactly when, THANKS! It means a lot, but...

Did anyone else have a palpitation when they realized that the results are coming in less than 24 hours? I did a damn good job of blocking out my results until I read the last few posts! Now I can't waitttt...Good luck to you all!

Oh, I hear you. I've been doing an awesome job ignoring the results until the last few days. This last bit is killer!

Good luck to all!!

Edited by efc79

I just spoke with the Office of Fellowships at my University and it confirms the information shared in today's earlier posts.

Tomorrow (Friday, Jan. 29) the system will be accessible to the Fellowship Office staff and then they will go into the program, and then call each of us with the news. I was wondering if they might make it Monday instead since the common Jan 31st notification date is on a Sunday. They confirmed that we will know tomorrow.

I applied last year and was very nervous, and didn't get past round one. That experience challenged a lot of my confidence and questioned my abilities. I chose to try again and this time I feel so much more proud of the proposal I crafted. I thought this year the wait would be no sweat. Not true. I am a bundle of stress and surely won't sleep well tonight.

Good luck to everyone, you all worked hard and deserve to feel great about your efforts regardless of the outcome.

-Aric

Applicant for a research grant to Egypt to study the administrative application of increased global funding to Egypt for HIV prevention and education efforts.

I submitted an At-Large application for an ETA to Brazil. Did anyone else apply to Brazil? Also, does anyone know if Fulbright requires an extensive medical examination like the Peace Corps for example? Are they strict about health issues? I don't know how competitive Brazil is. There are only five spots, so that sounds pretty competitive to me. I have teaching experience in ESL and at the elementary and college level (not a professor though, just an instructor). I hope that increases my chances. Does that sound like too much experience to some of you?

Good luck to everyone this weekend. My heart is beating so fast right now. I wasn't nervous until I started reading these posts.

biggrin.gif

Hi All,

Last week I was asked to submit a second form, including a brief translation of my proposal into the host country's language. Does anyone have experience with this, or know its meaning? I'm sure that this is not commonplace for all countries.

Thanks! Good luck!

Hi All,

Last week I was asked to submit a second form, including a brief translation of my proposal into the host country's language. Does anyone have experience with this, or know its meaning? I'm sure that this is not commonplace for all countries.

Thanks! Good luck!

I know that Spain requires a translation of both the proposal and personal statement. Which country did you apply to?

Does anyone know around what time we will receive e-mail notification today?

They email the winners in the morning.... so if you haven't heard by now there is a good chance that.... JUST KIDDING.

I was told that notifications would be send 'by the end of the day.' Sit tight and don't freak, you've worked hard and the decision has already been made.

It depends on when the advisers received notification. If they just got access to the finalist list today then we won't be emailed until tomorrow. I contacted my adviser, she has the list and guess what she told me when I asked for my status? She said she can't tell me whether or not I'm a finalist! IIE apparently says the advisers aren't supposed to notify the students in advance. But I know someone whose adviser told him he was a finalist for Hungary's Fulbright. :(

Edited by BMCGirl10

Our campus FPA told us that we'd hear by 5 pm EST today. They need to contact more than 5,000 of us, so I guess it's understandable that we need to sit and wait a while longer. That being said, it's already 10 pm where I am, so the wait is killing me!

Our campus FPA told us that we'd hear by 5 pm EST today. They need to contact more than 5,000 of us, so I guess it's understandable that we need to sit and wait a while longer. That being said, it's already 10 pm where I am, so the wait is killing me!

Our campus' Fulbright advisor is out of the office today... I can't wait any longer!!!

Yeah I emailed my campus advisor asking if the Office of Fellowships would notify us or if we would be waiting until we received our own email. She mentioned the same thing about hearing "before the end of the day" via an email from Fulbright. So I'm guessing they must have said that to all advisors. So close. A few hours ?

FINGERS CROSSED

They email the winners in the morning.... so if you haven't heard by now there is a good chance that.... JUST KIDDING.

I was told that notifications would be send 'by the end of the day.' Sit tight and don't freak, you've worked hard and the decision has already been made.

That was beautiful. I was able to catch my heart in midair before it shattered into a million pieces.

I'm an At-Large sitting in far Eastern Europe at the moment waiting for an email. This is the most anxious I've ever been.

I agree! I don't know if I was more nervous for my on campus interview or waiting for the results today! Good luck everyone! Be sure and let us know when the emails start going through!