Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

hi all,

is this anyones second time to apply for a fulbright? i made it to this stage last year and again this year. also, i was wondering if anybody has known of an applicant in the past that has been awarded a grant when reapplying.

hi all,

is this anyones second time to apply for a fulbright? i made it to this stage last year and again this year. also, i was wondering if anybody has known of an applicant in the past that has been awarded a grant when reapplying.

I recently read through the 2009-10 finalist thread on this forum; I recall someone being a 08-09 finalist, and then a 09-10 finalist. I forget whether or not he or she was a grantee though.

hi all,

To which country did you apply? Did you apply to the same one this year?

i am applying to sweden again this year but through a different university to use new bioengineering techniques for identifying influenza vaccine targets.

word of advice to all finalists: try to have patience and divert your thoughts while waiting to hear results. i would recommend picking up a new hobby or finding a new tv series. i went through this agonizing wait last year and it drove me up the wall...and i still didnt end up getting the grant. do your mental health a favor and go outside or learn a new instrument, anything that helps focus your thoughts away from this cursed wait!

i am applying to sweden again this year but through a different university to use new bioengineering techniques for identifying influenza vaccine targets.

word of advice to all finalists: try to have patience and divert your thoughts while waiting to hear results. i would recommend picking up a new hobby or finding a new tv series. i went through this agonizing wait last year and it drove me up the wall...and i still didnt end up getting the grant. do your mental health a favor and go outside or learn a new instrument, anything that helps focus your thoughts away from this cursed wait!

I like to meditate by cycling over 100 miles per week, and drinking beer; keeps things in perspective.

I found out I was a finalist for a research to South Korea last week as well! I've been looking for a support group to share my excitement and so glad that I found this forum haha. Seriously, best of luck to everyone and hope we all get some good news in the next few weeks :)

I'm a finalist for Germany ETA and I just received an email that asked me for the same thing, along with one that asked that I fill out an application in German. Looks like it's standard procedure for everyone, but if you want to get a good indication of how many people were forwarded to the second round in your field, click on the "to:" in the email and there's a (I gave up counting for accuracy 3 times) little over 200 names/email addresses for ETA which means the odds are better than 50%.

Finalist for Germany research here.

Anyone else just get the email for passport photos to be sent? Think it means anything?

I got the same email today. I haven't tried to count how many it was sent to so I don't know if there has been a further narrowing down. We'll see, ay?

I am also a finalist for research to Germany and got the passport email. Because I am a grad student and have soooo much extra time on my hands, I meticulously counted every name it was sent to (holy privacy breach!) 220, folks. I know I'm obsessing, but by my calculations that number is not high enough to include all the recommended ETAs and the Researchers given that there were likely 345 recommended applications. Unless the numbers were super low and they didn't recommend 1.5-2 times the amount of positions available. Collectively, there are 230 ETA and Research positions available. Again, there were 220 names. I'm just saying. Probably means nothing. In any case it's good.

If you're right, that's amazing. I'm wondering though, weren't the emails split up to research and ETA applicants? that woud suck because it would mean there are still ~200 people competing for ~80 research grants (I think).

I think ETA and research applicants got different emails because the ETAs have to fill out an additional application. FWIW, there are also about 220 ETA finalists.

Edited by geilezeit

I think ETA and research applicants got different emails because the ETAs have to fill out an additional application. FWIW, there are also about 220 ETA finalists.

okay, thought I read that an ETA had received two separate emails, one for the passport and one for the German application. 220 seems like a lot of recommended finalists for the research grant. It is usually 1.5-2 times the number of grants available, but maybe they just liked a ton of people this year and had a ton of applicants.

okay, thought I read that an ETA had received two separate emails, one for the passport and one for the German application. 220 seems like a lot of recommended finalists for the research grant. It is usually 1.5-2 times the number of grants available, but maybe they just liked a ton of people this year and had a ton of applicants.

Yeah, we did get two emails, but the initial email discussed both the application and passports. The second email gave us a little more information about the application. 220 finalists does seem really high for only 80 grants!

Looks like there are 90 full-grants available. 220 is more than 1.5-2 times the amount of grants available. I guess this means that the passport photo request is standard procedure. In light of that, what belies hope is this rhetoric: "and subsequent placement process..."

Oh well. Better rev up that camera. Do I smile?

Belaboring here, but in rereading my passport email, it is specifically addressed to Full-Grant candidates. So, I guess there are 220 full-grant finalists? And there are 220 finalists for the ETAs as well? I somehow want to believe she sent the email in error to some people, but that's just me being optimistic. I suppose a 40% chance could be worse, oder?

Belaboring here, but in rereading my passport email, it is specifically addressed to Full-Grant candidates. So, I guess there are 220 full-grant finalists? And there are 220 finalists for the ETAs as well? I somehow want to believe she sent the email in error to some people, but that's just me being optimistic. I suppose a 40% chance could be worse, oder?

Na Wahnsinn... :blink:

You German applicants are lucky to be receiving responses already. I think Korea has one of the largest applicant pools too (90 ETAs & 15 Research) but I've heard nothing so far.

I also asked the Senior Program Manager to ask how the applicants were ranked (because NSC recommends the applications in a certain order) but no response haha. Usually he's good with replying but guess we don't have access to that info.

Hi everyone! I'm a finalist for a full grant to Nepal. Congratulations to everyone who's made it through the first round.

I have heard that final notifications go out by postal mail, as opposed to email...does anyone know if that's true?

Finalist for a Research Fulbright to Nepal here!

I'm sooo excited/terrified. But yeah I think getting a more formal list going would be awesome.

Hi knownothing! I am also a finalist (at-large) for a research grant to Nepal. What's your field and topic? Did you apply at-large or through a school? I'm so curious to know about the other applicants for Nepal! My proposal is in medical anthropology, to work with amchis/doctors in the Tibetan diaspora population in Boudhanath, Kathmandu, researching the Tibetan medical perspective on the clinical definition of death and end-of-life issues and technologies.