Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Three people have announced on Twitter that they are through to the next round. As for me - still no e-mail! Color me concerned....

As far as I can tell the three people informed were notified by their advisors not through a formal email from IIE.

I think we should all calm down. While it is wholly possible that after I post this a Fulbright email will appear in my box (thus making me totally wrong), I think that everyone is getting the wrong idea thinking they'll be emailed this evening. Why would Fulbright say "an email by the 31st" if they meant "by 5pm on the 29th"? The people reporting themselves as finalists on Twitter have clearly been pre-informed by their Fulbright advisors, not Fulbright itself. If IIE had sent out even one "round" of emails, Twitter would be exploding right now as would this board. Everyone should remain calm until Sunday, or else beg their advisors.

Of course that's no good for me cause im at large : (

I think we should all calm down. While it is wholly possible that after I post this a Fulbright email will appear in my box (thus making me totally wrong), I think that everyone is getting the wrong idea thinking they'll be emailed this evening. Why would Fulbright say "an email by the 31st" if they meant "by 5pm on the 29th"? The people reporting themselves as finalists on Twitter have clearly been pre-informed by their Fulbright advisors, not Fulbright itself. If IIE had sent out even one "round" of emails, Twitter would be exploding right now as would this board. Everyone should remain calm until Sunday, or else beg their advisors.

Of course that's no good for me cause im at large : (

I appreciate your calm attitude as a fellow at-larger. I have no one to pre-inform me on anything. So I'm just waiting away.

It's 5:22pm and my e-mail refresh button is suffering from fatigue! Has anybody here actually received any news? Even from your adviser?

I haven't heard anything from anyone directly. Twitter lit up with a few "I'M A FINALIST!" messages, but those seem to be from people who were informed by their advisor, rather than an official IIE email (given the very very small number of messages (3ish?) seems likely). Other #fulbright messages seem primarily concerned with today being the finalist announcements.

That said, another student who applied from my home institution (Indiana) told me that she spoke with our advisor and we'd be hearing by the end of the day from IIE. Take that for what it's worth, I suppose.

I have not received any word yet. I applied at large, but I spoke to the Fulbright adviser from my alma matter. He said that Embark (the system used by Fulbright admins) was not working this afternoon and that he was unable to view his list of applicants.

He thinks that I will probably receive word from Fulbright tomorrow. So who knows? We're all waiting on pins and needles. The agony!

It's painful having to wait it out but I hope people aren't legitimately having panic attacks waiting for this news. If you're going nuts because of word back on whether you're a finalist, can you imagine how much of a wreck you'd be while waiting for the actual final notice? Judging by people's reactions from last year they aren't too great about meeting deadlines and notifying people. In any case if you're really panicking I'd suggest having a few beers, chilling out and watching Battlestar Galactica over the weekend and waiting patiently for the email - which is exactly what I plan to do once I'm off work.

Yes it owuld be interesting to know what countries people have been rejected from. Also, it seems like more rejects so far have been ETAs. Is this true?

Sorry to be so scientific about it. I'm sure I'll get my reject any minute now.

The two newest rejections on Twitter are from the UK (Research) and Korea (ETA).

I know that Spain requires a translation of both the proposal and personal statement. Which country did you apply to?

I'd prefer not to name; but it was in Arabic. Any other applicants to arabic speaking countries receive such e-mails?

Edited by lordcromer