Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Applied for a research FB to Turkey - I'm finishing my master's in urban planning, and hope to study urbanism, mapping and tourism there. Just a few weeks to hear the preliminary, but it's driving me crazy!

I am applying for an ETA in Turkey, and the wait is killing me too! What exactly was your proposal and what's your affiliation?

I am applying for an ETA in Turkey, and the wait is killing me too! What exactly was your proposal and what's your affiliation?

Applied to Istanbul, affiliating with Istanbul Technical University. I proposed a variant on my Master's Project: having tourists draw maps of the city, learning about a city network analysis technique called Space Syntax, and studying the city's City of Culture 2010 celebrations. Fingers crossed!

Hey Guys,

I applied for a Study Research to Germany and im tired of waiting this thing out. Good luck to all of yall! Anyone apply to specific universities?

Only one more week now. From reading last year's thread, I think the wait gets much more anxious after hearing the preliminary results. Good luck to everyone who applied.

IIE says they will notify us January 31...but that is a Sunday (as I am sure you all have noticed). Anyone think there is any chance it will be Friday instead?

This was posted on a facebook message board today:

All Fulbright U.S. Student applicants will receive an email on January 30 advising them of their recommended or not recommended status.

The online application system will be re-opened for U.S. Fulbright Program Advisers the day before the applicant emails are sent to give advisers a heads up on their students' status. Advisers will receive an email in advance of when the system is re-opened to view students' status.

Best,

Office of Academic Exchange Programs

Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs

United States Department of State

I wonder if the January 30th date was a typo? Either way our advisers will know the day before we do.

Interesting!

I found a copy of last year's 'not recommended' email from last year -- sent 1.30

The National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education has completed its work and has recommended candidates for the 2009-2010 academic year. I regret to inform you that your application is not among those recommended for further consideration. Unfortunately, it is not possible to accommodate all the students who would like to participate in the Fulbright Program.

I want to assure you that the application review is very thorough and that screening committees carefully weigh individual qualifications for research or study abroad. It is not our policy to disclose the reasons for an applicant's denial. As is often the case in the U.S. Fulbright Student Program, the number of well-qualified applicants this year exceeded the number of awards available and the limited opportunities for placement abroad. Approximately 7,300 applicants competed for about 1,500 grants.

I know that this decision will be disappointing to you. However, please note that the decision in no way prejudices your chances for participation in the Fulbright Program at a future date. Each year's selection process is separate and distinct. If you wish to apply again for a Fulbright award, your application will be considered, as before, solely on the basis of eligibility requirements and the merits of your proposal.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program and hope that you will find another opportunity to study or conduct research abroad.

Sincerely yours,

Theresa Granza, Director, U.S. Student Programs

and this encouraging post.

Waaaaiting is the hardest part... :)

Hang in there, everyone!

(Indonesia ETA applicant here.)

The 'recommended' emails were sent out on the 30th last year as well - so I guess Saturday it is!

This was posted on a facebook message board today:

All Fulbright U.S. Student applicants will receive an email on January 30 advising them of their recommended or not recommended status.

The online application system will be re-opened for U.S. Fulbright Program Advisers the day before the applicant emails are sent to give advisers a heads up on their students' status. Advisers will receive an email in advance of when the system is re-opened to view students' status.

Best,

Office of Academic Exchange Programs

Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs

United States Department of State

I wonder if the January 30th date was a typo? Either way our advisers will know the day before we do.

Perhaps, though the 30th would have been a Friday last year, which is why I was thinking the pattern might be the last Friday in January, rather than January 30. We shall see...

I hate this point in an application process. Stressing out about dates and converting from year to year. When I was applying to grad schools, I had to use a sick day at work on the official 'notification date' for one of my programs because I knew I'd be too anxious to get anything done. I frantically refreshed the online application portal every 5 minutes hoping for an update.

Now I know that I'll be glued to my email from Friday.

Does anyone know when the Competition Statistics will be updated? I'd like to know what I'm working against. I know applications to graduate schools have jumped significantly this year but what about Fulbright?

Does anyone know when the Competition Statistics will be updated? I'd like to know what I'm working against. I know applications to graduate schools have jumped significantly this year but what about Fulbright?

All I know is that our campus advisor mentioned that the applications were supposed to be really high this year...but no specifics. I'd love to know how the stats are for this year as well.