Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Guys, could you stop messing with the color and the formatting on the spreadsheet?! I've been trying to keep it consistent and other people keep changing what I do!

If you do change things.. these are my requests:

1. Don't use fluorescent colors unless you're highlighting something that needs special attention. It's blinding and unnecessary.

2. Don't make the word "rejected" fire engine red, and "accepted" bright green. Can't we be more subtle? Have some compassion!

3. Don't make the columns wider. I'm talking to you Mac users. I know it shows up much differently when you're using Safari or Firefox. But, for those of us as work using Internet Explorer 7, keep the columns as narrow as possible, please!! Otherwise I -- I mean we -- have to scroll right a whole lot and it's tedious.

4. Don't color code new categories. We've got enough colors to deal with.

----

Ok that's it. However DO feel free to add new categories that you think would be especially useful (postmark date, and "which address" were both good additions).

Anyway, if you really want to change something fundamental that would be tedious for someone to change back... e-mail me first : sallyatiemadrid@gmail.com

Also, note that there's a chat function on the spreadsheet, and you can talk to others who are viewing at the same time. I might actually be online the same time as you are, so you can just go in the chat and mention your proposed change before you make it. Or you can run it by whoever else is in there and they can at least give you an opinion on your potentially garish color choices :P

Thank you!

Hilarious instructions Sally hilarious! Definitely needed though - thanks.

P.S. - I was one of those MAC users, didn't know it showed up differently on PCs. Now I do. ;)

Hey Rachel,

Wow, its so nice to hear back from another Fulbright finalist for India! Did you apply for the full grant or ETA?

I called Cara Doble again, and she told me that India has made their decisions and the recommended applications have been forwarded to the FSB board. She said we should ideally hear back by early April, but it could take as long as May. Keep me posted if you hear any more updates, and good luck!

- Pooja

Hi Pooja,

I applied for a full-grant. And you? Glad to hear that they've made it through the Indian round. I'll keep my fingers crossed for early April. I'm really hoping to know by the end of April. It's so difficult to make plans without knowing.

Please let me know if you hear anything new, and I'll keep you updated as well.

Best of luck,

Rachel

Fellow Denmark Applicants -

I just called Rachel and she said they were still waiting on FSB approval. We should hear in the next three weeks... I was hoping it would be sooner! oh well...

------

Does anyone know what FSB approval entails?

Thanks!

Good luck everyone!

Fellow Denmark Applicants -

I just called Rachel and she said they were still waiting on FSB approval. We should hear in the next three weeks... I was hoping it would be sooner! oh well...

------

Does anyone know what FSB approval entails?

Thanks!

Good luck everyone!

Thanks very much for checking on it!! I really wanted to , but was trying to resist the temptation since I called her just a couple of weeks ago. When I talked with her then (March 4), she said 2-3 weeks.

Aargh, though -- I was reeeeaally hoping to hear this week!

What university did you apply to go to, if you are willing to say?

Thanks very much for checking on it!! I really wanted to , but was trying to resist the temptation since I called her just a couple of weeks ago. When I talked with her then (March 4), she said 2-3 weeks.

Aargh, though -- I was reeeeaally hoping to hear this week!

What university did you apply to go to, if you are willing to say?

I know! me too...

University of Copenhagen. You?

Hilarious instructions Sally hilarious! Definitely needed though - thanks.

P.S. - I was one of those MAC users, didn't know it showed up differently on PCs. Now I do. wink.gif

Hilarious? It was supposed to be serious and intimidating!! (Probably because I forgot to say "OR ELSE!!!") ;)

Anyway, another curious things about Macs and the spreadsheet is that the colors look totally different (and more subdued) on Mac. So it could be Mac users who keep choosing the flourescent colors, becuase they look a lot less bright on their screens...

I learned these things because I have a Mac at home, but a PC at work.. and I check the spreadsheet like at least 6 times a day ... !

Hello,

I was wondering if the applicant for France who wrote "3/18: supposedly they will be done by first week of April" meant that the decisions will be made by the first week of April, or that the letters will be sent out by then. I know there was a previous question similar to this one, but it was not answered and i'm dyyyying to know smile.gif merci

Edited by french_fry

Hello,

I was wondering if the applicant for France who wrote "3/18: supposedly they will be done by first week of April" meant that the decisions will be made by the first week of April, or that the letters will be sent out by then. I know there was a previous question similar to this one, but it was not answered and i'm dyyyying to know smile.gif merci

Yes, that would be great to know. It looks like, on the spreadsheet, though, that that person applied for an ETA. I imagine the process/timeline might be different for those of us that applied for the full research grant to France.*

Also, how do you all know who to call/e-mail about these things? My finalist notification came by e-mail from Theresa Granza, and the address was one you couldn't reply to. I'm just wondering because I would love to update my current address with them, but have no idea how to do so.

*Also, the attached PDF in my e-mail said that it was anticipated that all principal candidates would be notified by May 14.

Edited by duskbowl

Yes, that would be great to know. It looks like, on the spreadsheet, though, that that person applied for an ETA. I imagine the process/timeline might be different for those of us that applied for the full research grant to France.*

Also, how do you all know who to call/e-mail about these things? My finalist notification came by e-mail from Theresa Granza, and the address was one you couldn't reply to. I'm just wondering because I would love to update my current address with them, but have no idea how to do so.

*Also, the attached PDF in my e-mail said that it was anticipated that all principal candidates would be notified by May 14.

We have been contacting our relevant program managers, as listed on this page (click link). (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/contact_us.html)

Good luck to all!

Hello,

Hi French Fry,

I called Rachel Holskin, US Fulbright Program Manager for France:

IIE Program Manager: Rachel Holskin

212-984-5326, rholskin@iie.org

on Wednesday. She said that letters were going out that day (this past Wednesday!). I mentioned that I applied for the full grant -- so at the very least, letters for the full research grant to France went out on Wednesday.

Hope this is helpful to you!

Hi French Fry,

I called Rachel Holskin, US Fulbright Program Manager for France on Wednesday. She said that letters were going out that day (this past Wednesday!). I mentioned that I applied for the full grant -- so at the very least, letters for the full research grant to France went out on Wednesday.

Wow!!!!!!! Has anyone asked about Spain?! Similar to France, the Spanish commission says on its Web site that it expected decisions to be made "by" April 1st. But everyone else has been hearing so early, that maybe... just maybe all of Europe is ahead of schedule? I can only hope!

Someone should just e-mail/call Rachel Hoskins asking for all the updates she has about Europe and then we could just post them here tongue.gif

---

Edit: Antonio, I just saw your update on the spreadsheet. It said:

"Spoke to Rachel, Andorra's funding is tied to Spain's funding so we wont hear anything until Spain makes a decision about their students. It's currently looking like mid-april for a decision."

Does Mid-April go for Spain as well? Or was your impression that Spain will be before Andorra?

Edited by Sally

Hi French Fry,

I called Rachel Holskin, US Fulbright Program Manager for France:

IIE Program Manager: Rachel Holskin

212-984-5326, rholskin@iie.org

on Wednesday. She said that letters were going out that day (this past Wednesday!). I mentioned that I applied for the full grant -- so at the very least, letters for the full research grant to France went out on Wednesday.

Awesome!!! That's so soon! thanks for answering my question, and simultaneously duskbowl's question! i am about ten times more nervous now that i know we could receive the letters any day now. Bonne chance et merci encore!!!

I know, to have to wait even further is a bit painful, but it's great that we're still possible candidates. I'm an architect and proposed an architectural installation/symposium and research project in affiliation with the UdK in Berlin.

I just found out last week that I got the DAAD Graduate Study Scholarship for Artists and Musicians (I'm assuming that you applied for that one as well), so I'm happy to know that I will definitely be in Germany next year. I guess that the acceptance packets are still being sent out. Don't lose hope!

I know, to have to wait even further is a bit painful, but it's great that we're still possible candidates. I'm an architect and proposed an architectural installation/symposium and research project in affiliation with the UdK in Berlin.

I just found out last week that I got the DAAD Graduate Study Scholarship for Artists and Musicians (I'm assuming that you applied for that one as well), so I'm happy to know that I will definitely be in Germany next year. I guess that the acceptance packets are still being sent out. Don't lose hope!

Congrats on the DAAD! :)

hey liz,

congrats on daad! so, when exactly did you find out? and what would you do if you found out you moved up to grant status in the fulbright? and did you tell the fulbright about the daad? just curious...

thanks

I did not understand that by "twofold" she meant that applications are sent out to the country commissions and to the FSB in Washington, D.C. at the same time in January.

I remember last year someone said the applications are already ranked when they're sent out in January and this information certainly reinforces that. seems like they expect the committees to pretty much follow prearranged order.

Edited by schatzie414

medical form question for the accepted folks--

does anybody have any idea which of the tests on the form are required?!--besides the obvious ones which say "Required"--they include some crazy things like rectal exams, pap smears and ECGs. i am way beyond confused.

thank you!

medical form question for the accepted folks--

does anybody have any idea which of the tests on the form are required?!--besides the obvious ones which say "Required"--they include some crazy things like rectal exams, pap smears and ECGs. i am way beyond confused.

thank you!

I want to say all of them; the form says something like "fill out completely," and "do not leave anything blank." When I scheduled my appointment I said, "I need a full physical including blood work and x-rays." I'm preparing myself to be poked and prodded.

Oh and, as an uninsured student, it was almost completely impossible for me to get an appointment within the time frame allotted by IIE (within 3 weeks of receiving paperwork). That was exciting.

Best,

j the z