Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Hello all,

I have recently been considering writing a Fulbright submission for 2011 to Sweden. Does anyone know how competitive these full Fulbrights are? I know that England is the most competitive and Germany is probably the least because they offer so many but I haven't found too much information about Sweden. Are there any other fellowships for study abroad in Sweden for graduate studens (masters) that anyone knows about?

Thanks.

Even though I can't answer your questions, I was wondering what school(s) in Sweden you had in mind and what particular subjects you would want to study? It's always nice to see some interest in your home country :)

Thank you for informing us! Just a quick question though. By Germany, did she mean full grants or ETAs? :D

Hey there,

She didn't specify full grants or ETA, but she said the "last set of notification letters for Germany", so I am guessing this means both full and ETA.

Good luck!!! :)

-Pooja

Hello,

Well I haven't chosen a school yet but I am currently a master’s student pursuing a joint degree of public health and international affairs. My interests are the health (reproductive) of Muslim immigrant women who have relocated to Anglophone societies, i.e. Sweden. My original interest was in the United Kingdom or Australia but someone mentioned Sweden to me recently and I have done a small bit of research regarding your countries immigration policy and statistics. It is quite interesting and I thought that it might make a compelling Fulbright application. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should think about studying if I receive the grant? I was thinking that Stockholm might be the most logical choice but there may be others that I have yet to consider.

Best

All finalist applications are sent SIMULTANEOUSLY to the respective Fulbright commissions abroad and to the FSB in DC.... Instead of meeting in person, the members receive the applications (through mail I suppose) and they then make their decisions independently and forward it to the Program Managers for each region. This is an ongoing process, and as soon as the Program Manager has received both the decision of the commission abroad as well as the decisions made from the two or three FSB members who were appointed to decide on that particular country, the decisions can be mailed out to us.

While this may overlap quite a bit, the Fulbright commissions abroad predominantly make their decisions based on what projects could help their country while the FSB members are more concerned about the feasibility and logistics of the proposed projects.

Hey Pooja --

I'm still confused about who has the last word on who is selected -- is it the commission abroad, the FSB or the Program managers? Based on what you said, it sounds like FSB and the foreign commission each simultaneously make independent decisions. But what if they don't choose the same candidates? Am I reading something wrong?

Edited by Sally

Hi everyone,

Just received an e-mail from Cara Doble that I thought I'd share, in case anyone else had the same question...I asked about a time line for notices for Bangladesh and whether pre-departure orientation (PDO) is required for grantees (a question I had given that I already have summer employment abroad and will need to start making arrangements if I can't be there at that time).

Anyone else for a research grant to Bangladesh??

Cara says:

Unfortunately, it is still a bit of a waiting game for most of South and Central Asia…

We are waiting on Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB) approval from DC before we can send out any notification letters, and I am hoping this will happen very soon. I’ll send out the notification letter (per U.S. Post) as soon as I am able.

To the summer PDO – yes, these are mandatory for all grantees.

Hi All,

For those of you going to Germany who received the language course option: I know that the course will occur sometime in August, but does anyone know the exact dates yet?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

jim

For those of you going to Germany who received the language course option: I know that the course will occur sometime in August, but does anyone know the exact dates yet?

Jim,

I have received the following dates for the language course:

Orientation Meeting in Marburg: Aug. 9-12

Language Course in Marburg: Aug. 12 to Sep. 23

I haven't heard yet, though, about the dates for a pre-departure orientation.

Jim,

I have received the following dates for the language course:

Orientation Meeting in Marburg: Aug. 9-12

Language Course in Marburg: Aug. 12 to Sep. 23

I haven't heard yet, though, about the dates for a pre-departure orientation.

There is no PDO for Germany. We have our orientation in Germany. I believe the PDOs are only for those without a full-blown commission in the home country. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Hey, you German ETAers, any idea when we can expect those contracts? Will they include salary information?

Thanks,

C

Well you have to send the medical form back and they have to approve it and then if everything checks out, i would imagine they send it. or so the letter said, right?

Hey Pooja --

I'm still confused about who has the last word on who is selected -- is it the commission abroad, the FSB or the Program managers? Based on what you said, it sounds like FSB and the foreign commission each simultaneously make independent decisions. But what if they don't choose the same candidates? Am I reading something wrong?

Hi Sally,

I think somehow the decision is made based on both the commission boards abroad and the FSB board. The way that Cara Doble explained it to me, it seems like FSB may have the final say because the funding is coming from the United States. However, she did not specifically mention this, so I may be wrong. Basically, I think you need to get a thumbs up from both the foreign commission and FSB to get principle status. I think countries determine alternates and if more funding becomes available then FSB selects the best applicants from the alternate pile for grants. Again, Cara Doble did not specifically explain this to me, so this may be incorrect. Sorry for the vague answer!

Good luck! :)

Pooja~

Hey everyone,

I received notification today (via email) that I was accepted as an ETA to Vietnam!! The email contained information on the orientation and the stipend, which is $1,100 a month, much more than I was expecting!! Is there anyone else who is going to Vietnam? It seems like I'm the only person who applied who has been following this... Anyways, I'm totally excited, obviously. Congrats to everyone else who has received word, and good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

Nikki

Hey everyone,

I received notification today (via email) that I was accepted as an ETA to Vietnam!! The email contained information on the orientation and the stipend, which is $1,100 a month, much more than I was expecting!! Is there anyone else who is going to Vietnam? It seems like I'm the only person who applied who has been following this... Anyways, I'm totally excited, obviously. Congrats to everyone else who has received word, and good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

Nikki

Hey everyone,

Nikki

Congrats! My fingers are crossed to hear about Taiwan in the next week or two....or three haha. Good to hear some of the Asian countries are starting to hear word.

Hey everyone,

Nikki

Hooray! I knew this would be a good week for Asia applicants! Congratulations.

Turkey update from Rachel Holskin:

"The FSB approval is in, and we’re expecting selections from the Turkish Commission this week."

Progress! Any idea when decisions will be sent out?

Hello Everyone,

Congratulations to those of you who have been awarded the scholarship. I'm a finalist for an ETA to Italy. Didn't see anyone else for Italy out there so I thought I'd pop in, and provide insight for candidates applying for next year. Based on last year's results I'm not expecting to hear for another 2 months or so. Unfortunately, I have to let my top choice grad school know whether or not I'll be attending next year. If I do get the Fulbright I will arrange to defer. Has anyone had issues with this?

C

Hi- i'm a finalist for an ETA to italy as well. How do you know we won't find out for so long? This is torture.

Progress! Any idea when decisions will be sent out?

I don't...Rachel Holskin never said. Would you mind e-mailing her and asking when notifications would be sent out. I assume that they will be sent out next week...

Hi- i'm a finalist for an ETA to italy as well. How do you know we won't find out for so long? This is torture.

Hi Elise,

I got that info from last year's thread. The Italy people got their stuff at the end of April.

From,

C

Your Sicily Classmate ;)

I don't...Rachel Holskin never said. Would you mind e-mailing her and asking when notifications would be sent out. I assume that they will be sent out next week...

I e-mailed her twice last week regarding something other than notification and she has yet to respond. I doubt another e-mail from me would elicit the information we're looking for.