Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Hello for China applicants (not sure if this applies to other Asia applicants). So there is still no specific info about when notifications will go out, but "it will not be before April 15." :-/ Hope that's somewhat helpful? I personally would tell any jobs/schools/etc not to expect an answer before May 1.

Hi all!

As an ETA finalist for Taiwan, I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding the status of our applications or notification dates? Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Hello all,

I have recently been considering writing a Fulbright submission for 2011 to Sweden. Does anyone know how competitive these full Fulbrights are? I know that England is the most competitive and Germany is probably the least because they offer so many but I haven't found too much information about Sweden. Are there any other fellowships for study abroad in Sweden for graduate studens (masters) that anyone knows about?

Thanks.

Check this website for scholarships for Scandinavia. Sweden is listed at the bottom. http://www.amscan.org/alternate.html

Check this website for scholarships for Scandinavia. Sweden is listed at the bottom. http://www.amscan.org/alternate.html

rad81 --

Look at the Fulbright competition statistics from 2009 for Europe:

http://us.fulbrighto...ion_europe.html

England has the most competition, period. It has less to do with the number of grants available, and more to do with the crazy number of applicants (more than 400 people for 13 spots)

Sweden isn't too bad: 56 people applied for 10 spots last year. I'm surprised that Norway had more applicants than Sweden...

A ratio between 1/4 and 1/8 seems pretty typical across the European countries (cept for the UK)

Edited by Sally

Hi Sally,

I think somehow the decision is made based on both the commission boards abroad and the FSB board. The way that Cara Doble explained it to me, it seems like FSB may have the final say because the funding is coming from the United States. However, she did not specifically mention this, so I may be wrong. Basically, I think you need to get a thumbs up from both the foreign commission and FSB to get principle status. I think countries determine alternates and if more funding becomes available then FSB selects the best applicants from the alternate pile for grants. Again, Cara Doble did not specifically explain this to me, so this may be incorrect. Sorry for the vague answer!

Good luck! :)

Pooja~

Yeah, you know I think I've heard something like the foreign commission ranks its preferred candidates. It seems like those candidates are selected as long as they get FSB approval, which is a totally separate process.

<br />Hi all!<br /><br />As an ETA finalist for Taiwan, I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding the status of our applications or notification dates? Good luck to everyone still waiting!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hey. You're the third Taiwan finalist on the boards. Based on last years results we should be hearing back this week but I don't know for sure. I emailed our director a month ago and received this message:

"The exact timing varies each year, but notifications for Taiwan are typically sent out in early to mid April."

Hello for China applicants (not sure if this applies to other Asia applicants). So there is still no specific info about when notifications will go out, but "it will not be before April 15." :-/ Hope that's somewhat helpful? I personally would tell any jobs/schools/etc not to expect an answer before May 1.

Expected but still disappointed haha. I was reading through last year's Fulbright thread and someone found out about China on April 21.... So hopefully we'll find out then too?! (Potentially) three more weeks!!! :lol:

Hello,

Two days ago I was informed that I received a separate fellowship through IIE that I had applied to in January. IF i am awarded the fulbright, i would have to choose between the two, but now I will be heading to Stockholm no matter what!

Note to all alternates: I also applied to this fellowship along with the Fulbright last year and did not receive either of them. Do not give up if you dont get it this time. I am one of numerous people this year that have received a fellowship after reapplying. Good luck!

<br /><br /><br />

Hey. You're the third Taiwan finalist on the boards. Based on last years results we should be hearing back this week but I don't know for sure. I emailed our director a month ago and received this message:

"The exact timing varies each year, but notifications for Taiwan are typically sent out in early to mid April."

Yeah hoping to hear in the next week or two. I didn't know anyone had contacted our director, thats cool...let us know if you email him again!

Hi all. Congrats to those who have heard good news recently!

I spoke to Cara Doble this week and she told me that Nepal's country commission decisions are in hand. IIE is waiting on the FSB approvals, and she said there is no way to know when they will receive word. Essentially, there's probably no way we will hear any further info before the letters go out. Here's hoping it's within the next two weeks...I am going to be traveling and it would be very unnerving to be away when the letter comes!

Germany ETA-ers!

Anyone else get the envelope addressing travel and placement procedures postmarked March 30th, from Berlin? It was sent to my permanent address so I got a reading of it from my mom, rather than seeing it for myself. Who should we be emailing to confirm acceptance of the grant (by April 14)?

This is all dependent as to whether or not I actually get the grant but...

If I schedule a regular physical, will this be able to satisfy all of the Fulbright's requirements for the health stuff? Or do I need to schedule something different?

Germany ETA-ers!

Anyone else get the envelope addressing travel and placement procedures postmarked March 30th, from Berlin? It was sent to my permanent address so I got a reading of it from my mom, rather than seeing it for myself. Who should we be emailing to confirm acceptance of the grant (by April 14)?

Yup! Same here!!! My parents are supposed to scan it and send it to me per email, of course much of the lingo including German terminology was lost on them, heh. I haven't an idea who we'll be emailing but if we still don't know by the time I get the scanned copy I will be sure to answer your question!

This is all dependent as to whether or not I actually get the grant but...

If I schedule a regular physical, will this be able to satisfy all of the Fulbright's requirements for the health stuff? Or do I need to schedule something different?

I think you should be fine if you don't have any serious medical problems. The only results they want to see are regular bloodwork and the PPD or chest x-ray for TB (the former is an easy skin test which takes 3 days to get results). Are you a female over 21? You need to get a pap smear, it takes 2-3 days for those results as well.

hope it helps--all best and good luck!

Is anyone else applying for a Mandarin CLEA with their Fulbright China grant? I got an email from Jonathan saying that the summer CET program in Harbin has been canceled. That's a good thing for me since I haven't begun the application for the fall program yet (deadline May 1st, with rolling admissions.) Anyone know if they'll reimburse us the cost of applying of the application if admitted?

I applied for it too, but for the ACC program for the fall... I don't think we get reimbursed the cost of applying, unfortunately. Are you now applying for the Fall? The only thing I worry about is that it makes our Fulbright grant last until October 2011, and if I want to go to grad school, that starts in September...

For China applicants- my advisor contacted Jonathan and he said that he expects to hear by April 30. :o

Wait so, if HE doesn't expect to hear until April 30th, does that mean we won't hear until early May? Or does that mean WE won't hear until April 30th? They should email the results if it's so late!!

Germany ETA-ers!

I think we have to e-mail the Fulbright Kommission, the PAD, and IIE. The e-mail address is on the letter.

Edited by schatzie

for the South Korea research finalists, I got an email from a friend who is doing an ETA in the country. She just returned from the end of the year Fulbright conference and shared with me some relevant information

"hey sandra! sorry i've been mia for a while. how are things? did you hear anything from fulbright yet? i heard that this coming year they accepted 21 researchers! that's an insane amount! i hope you are among the 21. we just had a conference in jeju, and for the first time, we got to meet the researchers, so if you want, i can direct you to a couple.... either way, just let me know how things go. "

twwwwwwweenty one!

There are currently only twelve research scholars there according to the current Fulbrighters (which is different from the stats listed on the site) but this is great news. For us and the fact that they are increasing opportunities for more students to study in the country. Even if we still had the same percentage of competition as previous years, hearing twenty one applicants were accepted seems great.

I suppose now all we have to wait on FSB approval and word from NY.

Good luck to all, I know you all don't post on the forum but I know you exist. Haha

I e-mailed her twice last week regarding something other than notification and she has yet to respond. I doubt another e-mail from me would elicit the information we're looking for.

More Turkey...but not really. I emailed Rachel Holskin this morning, and this was her reply (pretty much what we already knew; no more details):

"Unfortunately, things are not moving so quickly in Turkey. We expected selections last week, but are hoping now to have them in this week. Once we receive those from Turkey, we’ll be issuing notification letters."

Iyi sanslar, everybody!

-Ellyn

So this is a long shot, but I was looking through the spread sheet (thanks again Sally!) and one of the Macau finalist posted "4/2 I was told decisions were snail mailed today or yesterday".....in my excitement I called Fulbright and got Mr.Ackley's secretary (he's out on business today), she informed me that they still haven't even heard anything from Macau yet. Im not sure if she just wanted to get me off the phone or she wasn't allowed to tell me, but I was wondering if the person that posted that on the spread sheet could clarify? Did Mr.Ackley tell you this directly?

Thanks!

I emailed Jermain Jones re: Taiwan, looks like we won't hear for a while...

"Decisions on ETA awards for Taiwan are still pending at this stage, and I don't know when to expect them. Jonathan Akeley might be able to tell you more when he returns to the office (the week of) April 12th."