Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Intaglio6-

Thanks for the update!! 

Ugh.  I can't stand this. 1-2 weeks?!?

So... does this mean that there will be more or less than 4 grants available? This makes me nervous...

Edited by sidewalkchalk

I just spoke with Cara Doble and she said that the India ETA letters are going out today and that we should receive them sometime early next week! Yikes! She also said that the India full-grant decisions have yet to be made by the FSB. Good luck to everyone!

i feel extreme nausea after reading your post... letters usually take roughly 2 days to get from NY to DC (where I live).... so maybe Saturday? oh gooooooshhhhhh

fingers crossed... hope you get it :)

hope i get it too :)

hope everyone gets it on this forum :)

I think when they say that they are making final decision on the number of grants that usually means there are more grants than orig. expected. My country said orig 5 in all the paperwork, but now NY office says 5-8. So I think this can only be a good thing.

I think when they say that they are making final decision on the number of grants that usually means there are more grants than orig. expected. My country said orig 5 in all the paperwork, but now NY office says 5-8. So I think this can only be a good thing.

Whew. Thanks for the good thoughts :)

Update for Spain applicants. I received the following email from Rachel Holskin today:

We just received preliminary selections today, so I think we should be able to get letters out on Tuesday.

I would assume this is for both ETA and full grant applicants. So if the letters do go out next Tuesday, I'd expect we should all hear by end of next week or beginning of the following. Also, in another email Rachel informed me that letters would be sent to our present addresses.

Good luck everyone! Here's to the wait being almost over/ the nervousness with which i will be facing my mailbox every day...

Update for Spain applicants. I received the following email from Rachel Holskin today:

We just received preliminary selections today, so I think we should be able to get letters out on Tuesday.

I would assume this is for both ETA and full grant applicants. So if the letters do go out next Tuesday, I'd expect we should all hear by end of next week or beginning of the following. Also, in another email Rachel informed me that letters would be sent to our present addresses.

Good luck everyone! Here's to the wait being almost over/ the nervousness with which i will be facing my mailbox every day...

Thanks so much for sharing!! Now I'm really nervous!!!

AGGGHH, my life cannot be in limbo any longer. grad school rejections over 3 month period was painful enough.

Quick question to India finalist, I came upon this on the fulbright page and freaked out a bit. (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_regions_countries.html?id=6)

um given that we have no idea out status, are we supposed to apply for a visa anyway?

The process for getting a research visa changed in 2008. Before, you had to get Government of India approval before you could get a visa. Now it's done directly through the Consulate. When I applied for the Fulbright to India in 2006, we had to submit all of our paperwork for the visa in February. But since the visa rules have changed, I know that many people have gotten their research visas in a couple of days. So unless your topic is controversial, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

AGGGHH, my life cannot be in limbo any longer. grad school rejections over 3 month period was painful enough.

Quick question to India finalist, I came upon this on the fulbright page and freaked out a bit. (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_regions_countries.html?id=6)

um given that we have no idea out status, are we supposed to apply for a visa anyway?

Hey there,

Seeing your post freaked me out a bit cause I haven't applied for a visa for India either so I did a bit of looking around on the Fulbright website. If you click specifically on India for "Country Summaries" it says the following: "Research clearance Clearance from the Government of India is required for all Fulbright-Nehru assignments. The detailed procedure for obtaining research visas will be communicated to the grantees upon selection. Grants cannot be issued for travel to India until proper Government of India approvals are received."

(http://us.fulbrighto...ntry.html?id=50)

Hopefully, since it doesn't seem like anyone received "a detail procedure for obtaining research visas" (at least I definitely didn't receive this), we should be okay. But the paranoid person that I am, I will probably send an email to Cara making sure.

Hope that clarifies, and I know the long wait sucks (I applied for the India full grant also), but the end is near!!!

Good luck to everyone :)

Pooja~

Edited by Pooja_2010

The process for getting a research visa changed in 2008. Before, you had to get Government of India approval before you could get a visa. Now it's done directly through the Consulate. When I applied for the Fulbright to India in 2006, we had to submit all of our paperwork for the visa in February. But since the visa rules have changed, I know that many people have gotten their research visas in a couple of days. So unless your topic is controversial, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Hey Rach,

I just realized that you clarified the visa issue for India. Thanks!

Pooja~

Just found out yesterday morning (4/8/10 at 6:30 AM) that I am a reserve candidate (alternate) for Switzerland via E-mailed PDF. The e-mail came from Dr. Olivier Brighenti. So, while it's kind of disappointing that I was not a main candidate, I'm thankful to have made it this far. I'll keep waiting, maybe more funding will come through to open up more spots.

I have updated the spreadsheet with my results.

Question to all Swiss finalists: how many of you all are post-bac's/graduate students (as of today)? The only reason I ask is because I'm wondering if my undergrad status was a detriment of some sort. As far as I'm aware, I can have a Bachelors to work at the University of Zurich, while other places prefer Masters degrees... Is this reasoning correct?

Also, does anyone know how many alternates there are for Switzerland? And... I know this is kind of a shot-in-the-dark question, but what are my chances? Not to worry, I am making other plans as we speak... I don't plan on losing sleep over this, but I was just wondering. I would be so thrilled if I knew I could work on my project in Switzerland (as would anyone, I hope).

Anyways, a well-deserved congrats to all winners so far and best of luck to those still waiting! :) Thanks for all your help guys!

Edited by Venkatmr99

Hey there,

Seeing your post freaked me out a bit cause I haven't applied for a visa for India either so I did a bit of looking around on the Fulbright website. If you click specifically on India for "Country Summaries" it says the following: "Research clearance Clearance from the Government of India is required for all Fulbright-Nehru assignments. The detailed procedure for obtaining research visas will be communicated to the grantees upon selection. Grants cannot be issued for travel to India until proper Government of India approvals are received."

(http://us.fulbrighto...ntry.html?id=50)

Hopefully, since it doesn't seem like anyone received "a detail procedure for obtaining research visas" (at least I definitely didn't receive this), we should be okay. But the paranoid person that I am, I will probably send an email to Cara making sure.

Hope that clarifies, and I know the long wait sucks (I applied for the India full grant also), but the end is near!!!

Good luck to everyone :)

Pooja~

FYI, I called Cara today to clarify this matter and she said that there is a mistake on the website and that we DO NOT need to have anything done for the visa yet. They will notify those who are selected for the India grant with details on how to apply for a visa. Hope this helps! (Btw, as of today FSB has still not made decisions for full grant applicants for India.)

Pooja~

This may sound silly, but it might be more than a month before the MENA applicants find out our final status.

So...I'm curious to know:

Any favorite book recommendations to help us pass the time? (I mean page turners here, folks, not deep philosophy wink.gif)

Just found out yesterday morning (4/8/10 at 6:30 AM) that I am a reserve candidate (alternate) for Switzerland via E-mailed PDF. The e-mail came from Dr. Olivier Brighenti. So, while it's kind of disappointing that I was not a main candidate, I'm thankful to have made it this far. I'll keep waiting, maybe more funding will come through to open up more spots.

I have updated the spreadsheet with my results.

Question to all Swiss finalists: how many of you all are post-bac's/graduate students (as of today)? The only reason I ask is because I'm wondering if my undergrad status was a detriment of some sort. As far as I'm aware, I can have a Bachelors to work at the University of Zurich, while other places prefer Masters degrees... Is this reasoning correct?

Also, does anyone know how many alternates there are for Switzerland? And... I know this is kind of a shot-in-the-dark question, but what are my chances? Not to worry, I am making other plans as we speak... I don't plan on losing sleep over this, but I was just wondering. I would be so thrilled if I knew I could work on my project in Switzerland (as would anyone, I hope).

Anyways, a well-deserved congrats to all winners so far and best of luck to those still waiting! :) Thanks for all your help guys!

24 hours after I posted this, I received a manila envelope from IIE. I won a Swiss Fulbright!!

This may sound silly, but it might be more than a month before the MENA applicants find out our final status.

So...I'm curious to know:

Any favorite book recommendations to help us pass the time? (I mean page turners here, folks, not deep philosophy wink.gif)

I'm reading "The Space Between Us" by Thrity Umrigar and it's a pretty compelling read so far. I'd recommend it! It follows the lives of several women in India, and illustrates the divide in social class. The characters are really interesting. I would read some reviews as my description is not doing it justice!

I should note that this book seems to be more popular among female readers :) But, I would recommend it to anyone, really.

I got the dreaded Alternate status for a research grant to Sub-Saharan Africa.

For the other alternates out there - there is a small "AL-1"in the bottom left of my letter. Does this mean that I am ranked as the first alternate? Does every letter have this number on it? I'd love to hear back from those that got bumped up to principal status already.

I'm reading "The Space Between Us" by Thrity Umrigar and it's a pretty compelling read so far. I'd recommend it! It follows the lives of several women in India, and illustrates the divide in social class. The characters are really interesting. I would read some reviews as my description is not doing it justice!

I should note that this book seems to be more popular among female readers :) But, I would recommend it to anyone, really.

I read it too and recommend it. I also recommend Ladies Coupe by Anita Nair. I love her style!

I got the dreaded Alternate status for a research grant to Sub-Saharan Africa.

For the other alternates out there - there is a small "AL-1"in the bottom left of my letter. Does this mean that I am ranked as the first alternate? Does every letter have this number on it? I'd love to hear back from those that got bumped up to principal status already.

Don't despair yet. About 2 weeks after being notified I was an alternate, I got an acceptance letter... so just hold tight, you never know what kinds of opportunities other people have that may be more appealing to them, than a Fulbright...

That's an interesting question...I'm also an alternate (for Germany) and I also have that AL-1 on the bottom left of my letter, but I didn't pay any attention to it before. Do any other alternates have this marker, a different marker or know anything about it?

That's an interesting question...I'm also an alternate (for Germany) and I also have that AL-1 on the bottom left of my letter, but I didn't pay any attention to it before. Do any other alternates have this marker, a different marker or know anything about it?

I know this question was brought up in last years forum. I think the conclusion last year was that everyone had that same marker and that it was of no significance, unforunately. Although, it's curious that they are using the same coding two years in a row... But I guess "AL-1" just means alternate.

Wait, does this mean that we won't get any email confirmation? I am supposed to make a decision on funding to UCLA's Biomathematics program by 15 April, so if they send out snail mail letters on Tuesday then I won't have time to ask for a deferral!

good luck to all, and a special good luck to those who must make final decisions by this week...

KLK