Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Just called Rachel; she said the letters were being printed and that they'd probably go out today or tomorrow. She also said there's no way to get word over the phone or email. So hopefully we'll all know by Tuesday / Wednesday.

I e-mailed her as well (Before checking this thread) and got the same answer.

Best of luck to everyone!

Melina,

I saw on the spreadsheet that there was another person who was notified about their Indonesia award by e-mail. Did you find out what was going on behind that strange request for personal information? I still would not provide that information by e-mail until talking to someone on the phone about it.

Sally

thanks Sally,

I am trying to talk to anyone else who got into Indonesia, but no one responds. I also called the program manager and email him, but no respond yet. I am just confuse why they ask for that information in the first place.

Is anyone else being ask for their Bank info at this stage? WHY?

-melina

thanks Sally,

I am trying to talk to anyone else who got into Indonesia, but no one responds. I also called the program manager and email him, but no respond yet. I am just confuse why they ask for that information in the first place.

Is anyone else being ask for their Bank info at this stage? WHY?

-melina

Melina, the whole situation sounds fishy. Like the other posters said earlier, talk to someone and confirm that this is a legitimate request before you send out any private information. If you applied through your university, get in touch with your campus FPA or someone else at the fellowships office. They should have a better idea of how to proceed.

Spain update:

4/15 Hi, Just heard from Rachel-the letters will NOT be going out today. But she didn't mention when they would. Emailed her back asking for an estimate...I'll keep us updated. Emily

That's from the spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avu5CeaRG24EdGFXVzh4aUt2ZTFUbTZPdzZiSGRoWUE&hl=en

Sally.

To quote Dilbert: Urge to kill...rising... other people who are going absolutely bonkers because of the delay: can I get a hell yeah?

R. Holskin said in an email to me (Lithuania Fulbright Research) she is mailing things today. Will know soon!!!

...And I'm kicking myself: which address did i give them, my college one, or my home one?

I don't know which mailbox to wait anxiously by!!

R. Holskin said in an email to me (Lithuania Fulbright Research) she is mailing things today. Will know soon!!!

Double yay! The first for mailing things today not tomorrow. The second for having another Lithuania Fulbright finalist. Where are you affiliated at and what's your project? Me - Vilnius University & the political integration of ethnic minorities

Re Mailboxes: I'm holding down my current address and I've got my teenage sister bribed to check the permanent one. It's worked with other notifications.

Edited by BMCGirl10

I just noticed that I can't "edit" my old posts. What's with that?

Edit: Seems like there's a time limitation, because I was able to edit this one!

Edited by Sally

@Sally Maybe it times out after a certain period. I can't edit my post from 11:52am today but I can still edit the 3:02pm. Or it could be that you can't edit any post before the last one.

I’m an alternate for Croatia. Receiving that as my response from Fulbright is supposed to be something generally positive, because “alternate status” implies that they did see something of great value in the proposal, however it’s really tough to accept it that way.

I agree with Ms. KTB that the endurance required to wait through the application process is somewhat overwhelming especially when you sense that you almost have to put other options/considerations on hold.

I think this is of particular concern for those of us who’ve applied as non-matriculated students, and are in an in-between stage, where academic grants are tough to find. With that said, is anyone aware of alternative scholarship/grant opportunities for non-students (more specifically for Central/Eastern Europe)?

Here’s hoping for fortunate outcomes... .. !

Edited by Ms. Foucault

Double yay! The first for mailing things today not tomorrow. The second for having another Lithuania Fulbright finalist. Where are you affiliated at and what's your project? Me - Vilnius University & the political integration of ethnic minorities

Re Mailboxes: I'm holding down my current address and I've got my teenage sister bribed to check the permanent one. It's worked with other notifications.

Hey! I'm a senior @ Swellesley College (heh). I'm affiliated in Vilnius at LMTA, and would hopefully be doing ethnomusicology work while studying voice under opera singer Sigute Stonyte there. Your topic is so interesting - I was there this past summer and it is so interesting to see how diversity is both largely publicized and simultaneously kept under wraps.

That sounds like a really interesting project, why did you choose Lithuania to study this specific topic?

To quote Dilbert: Urge to kill...rising... other people who are going absolutely bonkers because of the delay: can I get a hell yeah?

my first comment on this forum is a very appropriate one: HELL YEAH. we have lives to figure out here!

With that said, is anyone aware of alternative scholarship/grant opportunities for non-students (more specifically for Central/Eastern Europe)?

I just found this awesome list of fellowships on Columbia College's Web site: http://www.college.c...owships/catalog

Seriously, every fellowship/grant program I've ever heard of is on there, and a ton more. I didn't immediately see any specifically for Central/Eastern Europe, but there are several that can be applied anywhere. Definitely worth some investigating...

Many are for students, some even specifically for Columbia students. But others are open to post grads as well...

Edited by Sally

India decisions have been made!! I talked to Cara on the phone and apparently they'll be mailed starting today through Monday. We should be getting them late next week! I'm having trouble thinking about anything else....I really hope we all get it!!

I need some advice though: I, obviously, don't know whether I'll get the fulbright or not. And I have a job interview that I have to fly out across the country for (pay for my own air fare and make a 30 minute presentation). The job I'm interviewing for has already pushed my in-person interview this late in April because they liked me on the phone interview. But, I really don't want to spend the money/school time to fly that far if I am lucky/fortunate enough to get the Fulbright. Plus I'm getting really sick and would prefer to not be in a plane. And ideas of how I can convince them to let me push off the job interview about a week later? I don't think they'd buy sickness as a valid enough excuse. And I don't want them to turn down the offer completely...

Thanks in advance!!

India decisions have been made!! I talked to Cara on the phone and apparently they'll be mailed starting today through Monday. We should be getting them late next week! I'm having trouble thinking about anything else....I really hope we all get it!!

I need some advice though: I, obviously, don't know whether I'll get the fulbright or not. And I have a job interview that I have to fly out across the country for (pay for my own air fare and make a 30 minute presentation). The job I'm interviewing for has already pushed my in-person interview this late in April because they liked me on the phone interview. But, I really don't want to spend the money/school time to fly that far if I am lucky/fortunate enough to get the Fulbright. Plus I'm getting really sick and would prefer to not be in a plane. And ideas of how I can convince them to let me push off the job interview about a week later? I don't think they'd buy sickness as a valid enough excuse. And I don't want them to turn down the offer completely...

Thanks in advance!!

now that decision have been mailed out, if you call Cara and explain your situation, she might tell you over the phone.

That sounds like a really interesting project, why did you choose Lithuania to study this specific topic?

I knew I wanted to study post-conflict resolution and minority integration in Europe. It came down to Lithuania and the Netherlands. Vilnius U. has a Masters in War and Peace Studies program that I can complete in 10 months. The same program in the Netherlands costs more and is longer in duration.

Edited by BMCGirl10

Has anyone heard when letters/email will be going out for Near East North Africa finalists? I got word back in February I was finalist to go the UAE (UAE Univ.), but since then its been painful silence.

When I last spoke to Jermaine (Monday 4/12), he indicated early May, late April (if we're lucky). The process is pending due to funding appropriation and decisions by FSB.

Make sure to update the spreadsheet, didn't see you on there. Congrats, thus far.

-Michael

now that decision have been mailed out, if you call Cara and explain your situation, she might tell you over the phone.

hmm...i did, but she said she couldn't tell me over the phone and that the only way they could do so was by mail. maybe i'll shoot her an email and ask again?

I’m an alternate for Croatia. Receiving that as my response from Fulbright is supposed to be something generally positive, because “alternate status” implies that they did see something of great value in the proposal, however it’s really tough to accept it that way.

I'll be relieved whatever the outcome is. Everything is on hold until I hear about the Fulbright; if I'm named an alternate, I'll probably leave it at that and start trying to sort out other plans.

hmm...i did, but she said she couldn't tell me over the phone and that the only way they could do so was by mail. maybe i'll shoot her an email and ask again?

Rachel told me the same thing, and she sounded pretty steadfast about it so I didn't push any further. Maybe some region admins are more flexible than others

Edited by Intaglio6