Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

I just found this awesome list of fellowships on Columbia College's Web site: http://www.college.c...owships/catalog

Seriously, every fellowship/grant program I've ever heard of is on there, and a ton more. I didn't immediately see any specifically for Central/Eastern Europe, but there are several that can be applied anywhere. Definitely worth some investigating...

Many are for students, some even specifically for Columbia students. But others are open to post grads as well...

Speaking of Fulbright-alternatives for abroad experiences.... has anyone applied, or thought about applying, to the Peace Corps? For those who applied as ETAs, there are several teach English opportunities through the Peace Corps. Although, of course, your choice of destination is more limited. http://www.peacecorps.gov

Personally, I have looked into it before. But, right now, I'm interested in studying abroad and that obviously isn't possible through the Peace Corps. But, if I do get the opportunity to study business in Spain via Fulbright, then I am thinking of applying to do business development volunteer work in Latin America at some point in the future...

Edited by Sally

Any Taiwan finalists want to email J. Akeley and ask if notifications came out this week? I think he is probably tired of my queries but I want to know how soon to expect this thing!

Edited by Ahab

To Turkey ETA Finalists,

Bad news....actually horrible news.

I talked to Rachel Holskin today to ask her when we should expect a respond. She responded, "I don't know."

She commented that the Turkish Commission is still working on getting placements for ETA. From her personal position, she estimated that it might be 2-3 more weeks. Wow!?

This limbo process is absolutely menacing, tantalizing, and upsetting.

[From now on, I'm gonna plan and act as if I got a Fulbright rejection, so I can better prepare myself for my future.]

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Jermaine Jones who said that it is IMPOSSIBLE that ANYONE who applied to Israel has been notified of the final selection process yet. He said that the Israel board abroad has made their decision, however, he is waiting on the FSB to make their final approvals. Until this happens he said that no one will know their status. He hopes it will be in the month of April but said that beyond that he cannot really make an assessment as to when. So I don't know why the person entered into the spreadsheet that they have been accepted since Jermaine assured me that all the notifications will go out at the same time and the FSB hasn't even given their final stamp of approval. I find this kind of odd to say the least.

I'm the Israel person who you've all been chatting about.

I am a Postdoctoral Research Fulbright grantee--I suspect that you are in a different division of the Israel applications--in other words you applied for a different type of award, and therefore have not heard yet. I have already received information about the pre-departure orientation for the Middle East, and my grantee agreement has been signed and returned.

I'm not just some jerk who is posting fake information on the spreadsheet--this would be silly.

I'm sure you'll hear something soon.

Good luck,

Franko

Hey thanks for sharing all this great info!

Kartik

Speaking of Fulbright-alternatives for abroad experiences.... has anyone applied, or thought about applying, to the Peace Corps? For those who applied as ETAs, there are several teach English opportunities through the Peace Corps. Although, of course, your choice of destination is more limited. http://www.peacecorps.gov

Personally, I have looked into it before. But, right now, I'm interested in studying abroad and that obviously isn't possible through the Peace Corps. But, if I do get the opportunity to study business in Spain via Fulbright, then I am thinking of applying to do business development volunteer work in Latin America at some point in the future...

I am a Postdoctoral Research Fulbright grantee--I suspect that you are in a different division of the Israel applications--in other words you applied for a different type of award, and therefore have not heard yet. I have already received information about the pre-departure orientation for the Middle East, and my grantee agreement has been signed and returned.

The post-docs do find out on a separate timeline. One of my friends' parents received a post-doc Fulbright to Kenya and found out mid-March.

Congratulations, Franko!

I'm not just some jerk who is posting fake information on the spreadsheet--this would be silly.

Good luck,

Franko

Thanks for clearing up the confusion Franko!

Good luck,

Franko

Ok, that makes alot more sense. Thanks for clearing up the confusion (I was unaware that there were different divisions within the same country). Congratulations on receiving the Fulbright

Thanks so much for the update, even if it is depressing news. This really is getting torturous. Just know you aren't alone in the wait!

To Turkey ETA Finalists,

Bad news....actually horrible news.

I talked to Rachel Holskin today to ask her when we should expect a respond. She responded, "I don't know."

She commented that the Turkish Commission is still working on getting placements for ETA. From her personal position, she estimated that it might be 2-3 more weeks. Wow!?

This limbo process is absolutely menacing, tantalizing, and upsetting.

[From now on, I'm gonna plan and act as if I got a Fulbright rejection, so I can better prepare myself for my future.]

HAS ANYONE BEEN TAKEN OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST...and received a grant?

I hate waiting and being an alternate I get to enjoy the next month doing just that. FML.

A UK and Moldova Alternate moved to Principal status. Both within a week of receiving their Alternate letter.

Thanks for the update, Ccaraway. I applied for the ACC program in Beijing for the CLEA, but my deposit and forms are due the 21st of April; I hope I'll hear about the Fulbright by then. Did you pay the deposit for Harbin, or have to? Kinda tricky to know what to do.

Also, do you think that we can ask about our status once letters start going out, aka beginning of next week, even if we haven't gotten the hard copy letter yet?

My application to CET Harbin technically isn't finished since I had a huge problem with one of my recommendations. Have you tried asking ACC for a deposit extension?

Based on what other people have said on these boards it doesn't seem like we can hear results over the phone. With South Korea getting their results now I hope China and the other East Asian countries can follow suit. I did see a post by JC on the spreadsheet from 4/14 that says nothing yet from China and Macau-- which is scary! Who wants to call Jonathan on Monday and ask if letters have been sent out?? :rolleyes:

HAS ANYONE BEEN TAKEN OFF THE ALTERNATE LIST...and received a grant?

I hate waiting and being an alternate I get to enjoy the next month doing just that. FML.

From last year's list it looked like a lot of people were moved off alternate status in late April/early May. Don't lose hope!

At this point I'm trying not to think about the "what if I get off the alternate list", rather getting excited about my backup plan. If Fulbright does happen, it will be a pleasant surprise.

Question for the India Fulbrighters:

I'm a finalist for a full fellowship to India, and my partner (long term, essentially fiance) is planning on joining me if I hear that I'm lucky enough to win (Cara told me this morning that we should hear within 1 week!!!). We will not be married by the fall however-- if she does not have a job lined up at the outset of the visa application process, does anyone know if she has any chance of being able to stay in India for the entirety of my fellowship? Or is her best chance to receive a 6-month tourist visa?

Thanks!

Would love any advice on navigating these sorts of practical matters!

Any Taiwan finalists want to email J. Akeley and ask if notifications came out this week? I think he is probably tired of my queries but I want to know how soon to expect this thing!

haha yes, I would email again, but I've done it too recently.

Spain update:

As we all know, Spain chose too many principal grantees. Lauren reports that Fulbright was NOT able to secure funding to cover these folks, as was once hoped. Now, the baton has been handed back to the Spanish Commission, and they were asked to choose which three people to downgrade to "alternate" or "rejected" status. So, now the wait is back on.. and there is no estimate for when we might get our notifications.

However, Lauren said she had asked about ETA applications. It is unclear whether this status applies to full grant applications as well. If anyone has information about that please let us know!!

Thanks,

Sally.

My application to CET Harbin technically isn't finished since I had a huge problem with one of my recommendations. Have you tried asking ACC for a deposit extension?

Based on what other people have said on these boards it doesn't seem like we can hear results over the phone. With South Korea getting their results now I hope China and the other East Asian countries can follow suit. I did see a post by JC on the spreadsheet from 4/14 that says nothing yet from China and Macau-- which is scary! Who wants to call Jonathan on Monday and ask if letters have been sent out?? rolleyes.gif

I called to ask about Mongolia on Wed(4/14). He told me next week maybe. However, someone else talked to him yesterday (4/15) and he now said they would be sent out this week. Maybe that means other East Asian decisions may have come in.

I called to ask about Mongolia on Wed(4/14). He told me next week maybe. However, someone else talked to him yesterday (4/15) and he now said they would be sent out this week. Maybe that means other East Asian decisions may have come in.

Upon reading your post I called Jonathan and he said exactly what you said in regard to China. Thanks for your indirect encouragement :D