Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

Dyiiiingggggg!

I'm a finalist for an ETA to Thailand, exciting!

Has anyone received notification or an indication as to when we might be hearing our notifications?

Hey, Nanafanda - this is what Jonathan told me about Thailand decisions:

"It's not possible to predict exactly when the notification letters will go out since the final selection results and clearances have not come through at this point. In previous years, the notifications for Thailand have usually gone out in mid April."

It's not the most definitive answer I've ever gotten, but oh well.

Hi,

I called Cara today, and she said that the FSB decisions are still not in and that we will have to keep waiting. Ahhh!

any news on India??? The wait is too long!! o_O

congrats to all of you who have gotten accepted!!

I had this exchange with Cara today via email:

"I was wondering if you might be able to provide any information about the status of Fulbright decisions for the Kyrgyz Republic? Any news or idea about the time frame would be immensely helpful."

"I am still waiting on FSB approval on Kyrgyz Republic. I am not sure when this will come in and I can’t predict when the clearances will happen, but I promise that the letters will go out as soon as possible once I receive the green light from DC.

Sit tight…and thanks for your patience!"

"Just a point of clarification...does that mean that you've received the selections from the Kyrgyz committee, but are just waiting for the FSB?"

"Exactly. Country Selections are in (for all of Central Asia, actually) and FSB just needs to give me the green light on the applications. Ocne this happens, I can send out the letters to you all. Hoping it will be sooner rather than later."

Germany ETAs,

Ad: Goofy letter from Berlin

Anyone know whom we're supposed to contact a the PAD? Has anyone got the e-mail address?

-C

It's in the letter they sent: americanprograms@fulbright.de (Reiner Rohr) and Guenter Jacob at the PAD (guenter.jacob@kmk.org)

I had this exchange with Cara today via email:

"I was wondering if you might be able to provide any information about the status of Fulbright decisions for the Kyrgyz Republic? Any news or idea about the time frame would be immensely helpful."

"I am still waiting on FSB approval on Kyrgyz Republic. I am not sure when this will come in and I can’t predict when the clearances will happen, but I promise that the letters will go out as soon as possible once I receive the green light from DC.

Sit tight…and thanks for your patience!"

"Just a point of clarification...does that mean that you've received the selections from the Kyrgyz committee, but are just waiting for the FSB?"

"Exactly. Country Selections are in (for all of Central Asia, actually) and FSB just needs to give me the green light on the applications. Ocne this happens, I can send out the letters to you all. Hoping it will be sooner rather than later."

best of luck! but there is some crazy stuff happening there right now. hope it doesn't affect anything......

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/crisis_in_kyrgyzstan.html

Hello everyone, I've applied for the FB-IIE to Sub-Saharan Africa (Benin) and I am still waiting (like everyone else) to hear. Does anyone know if we should expect to hear about our funding via email or does that come to us via snail-mail?

Thanks,

Anthro78

I think the Competition Statistics were just updated. The number totals are different. Weirdly the years are the same ('09-'10, '09-'10, '10-'11), so I'm not sure. Check and see.

P.S. - They just changed the years! New CSs are up. :)

Edited by BMCGirl10

4/8/10 - Turkey update from Rachel Holskin:

"Preliminary selections were submitted this morning. We’re now waiting on final confirmation of placements for the ETAs. I would expect we’ll send out notification letters next week."

I'm a little confused by the statistics. For South Asia, the year are still '09-'10, '09-'10, and '10-'11. Are these last year's stats?

Hey Resham,

I think the numbers have changed though from before. It used to say that they are awarding 40 full grants and now it says 45. I think maybe they just haven't changed the headings yet, but the stats look new.

Good luck :)

Pooja~

Hey, just looking at the new stats and was wondering what the percentages were for finalists compared to the number of grants? I seem to remember it being like 25% more finalist are recommended than there are grants available but I’m not sure, any insights?

I officially no longer understand the statistics. When I looked at last year's for Turkey ETA, they had 26 for 10 spots. Now the newly updated page says last year they had 112 for 35. What???

Are "Applications Received" the total amount from back in September or just the finalists after January? China seems to have gone up quite a bit.....~170 to ~230?

Hello everyone, I've applied for the FB-IIE to Sub-Saharan Africa (Benin) and I am still waiting (like everyone else) to hear. Does anyone know if we should expect to hear about our funding via email or does that come to us via snail-mail?

Thanks,

Anthro78

Hi Anthro78 -

I emailed Jermaine yesterday and it looks like we're doing snail-mail, unless they email additionally (see below). Also, are you from Nebraska? I'm applying to Uganda, originally from Omaha.

Liz

Hello Liz,

Hard copy notification letters for all Sub-Saharan Africa finalists were placed in the mail yesterday and today from IIE’s New York City office. They were mailed to whichever address candidates listed as their present (or current) address on their Fulbright applications.

I hope this cover everything.

Best regards,

Jermaine Jones

Program Manager, Africa and the Middle East

U.S. Student Programs

Institute of International Education (IIE)

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Tel: (212) 984-5341

Fax: (212) 984-5325

Email: jjones@iie.org

I just spoke with Cara Doble and she said that the India ETA letters are going out today and that we should receive them sometime early next week! Yikes! She also said that the India full-grant decisions have yet to be made by the FSB. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Resham

Hey Korea, Spoke to Jermaine Jones on the phone today. The holdup is with FSB right now but the Korea Commission has made their decisions. He said Akeley will be back next Wednesday and he should have the specific details then.

Best of luck to everyone :)

I just spoke with Cara Doble and she said that the India ETA letters are going out today and that we should receive them sometime early next week! Yikes! She also said that the India full-grant decisions have yet to be made by the FSB. Good luck to everyone!

AGGGHH, my life cannot be in limbo any longer. grad school rejections over 3 month period was painful enough.

Quick question to India finalist, I came upon this on the fulbright page and freaked out a bit. (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_regions_countries.html?id=6)

Applicants to India who are recommended for final review will need to submit research visa applications in January or February

um given that we have no idea out status, are we supposed to apply for a visa anyway?