Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

OMG- now I'm nervous! Thanks for update scd!

And congrats!

Nescafe,

Thank you! But... I think that Egypt is on a different timeline, since it awards grants by a country program.

The MENA regional program includes Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Syria, Tunisia & UAE.

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific & good luck!

Congrats! I myself am an alternate, though I'm suspecting that's not going to pull through. Out of curiosity, what is your language background like? I'm wondering if the fact that I studied in China for a summer and am a Chinese major had anything to do with me not getting it. What program are you doing and have you already applied for it?

thanks! good luck to you...you never know what may happen to take you off the alternate list! I'm actually pretty surprised that I got it, since I was also a Chinese major and studied abroad for a semester. My project is very language intensive though - all my research depends on me being able to communicate effectively and conduct interviews - so that probably had a lot to do it with. Also, I've been out of school for a year, so my language skills are pretty rusty and I definitely need more help than if I had gotten this grant right after graduating! (though I wish I had applied then...)

I'm doing the Middlebury program in Kunming. I was accepted in late March (I think) and had to pay the deposit within 2 weeks, so I'm relieved that I didn't lose the deposit!

Edited by Jessica1

This whole process is quite cryptic to me, and any clarification is insightful!

What do you think may be a factor that "happens on the process (who knows when) that would force the person to give up the award and make it available for an alternate"? (I realize that an obvious one may be that an alternative/better opportunity crops up for the grantee, but other than that are you aware of any common reasons for declination?)

I really don't know why someone would give up the CLEA other than if they couldn't do the Fulbright at all (had a better option, didn't "pass" the health clearance, etc), or maybe if they didn't get into the language program they wanted and didn't plan any other alternatives. I only applied to one program, so if I hadn't gotten into it and all the other approved program's deadlines had passed, I would have had to decline the award. I was thinking more along the lines of a program not working out, or health reasons. Hope this helps! Good luck!

I really don't know why someone would give up the CLEA other than if they couldn't do the Fulbright at all (had a better option, didn't "pass" the health clearance, etc), or maybe if they didn't get into the language program they wanted and didn't plan any other alternatives. I only applied to one program, so if I hadn't gotten into it and all the other approved program's deadlines had passed, I would have had to decline the award. I was thinking more along the lines of a program not working out, or health reasons. Hope this helps! Good luck!

One case would be the State Department's Critical Language Scholarship and the CLEA at the same time.

You are only allowed to accept one of these grants.

Edited by papa

Also, if you were in my situation: named an alternate for China, and received a notice that I am an alternate for the CLEA award. Seeing as how I don't know if I will even get the regular award at this point, I don't see how they can expect me to pay the non-refundable deposit for the Harbin program. So if I received the Fulbright regular award in, say, June, it would be too late to pay the deposit on my program. As such, I would necessarily need to decline the award as no other program allows you to apply and pay a deposit as late as June. But since I don't even know if I will get a regular award for Fulbright, and I can't afford to send myself to China and pay for a language program that costs $7,000 on my own dime, I have no other choice.

I'm sure you wish you were in my shoes *sarcasm*

any news on the Spain research grants?

KLK

No :P The last word was that notifications would be sent out tomorrow (4/27). So my plan is to hold off asking about it until Wednesday. However, if anyone else can't help themselves, please post what you hear here or on the spreadsheet!

Sally

I've been a lurker for awhile but was going to post as soon as we got word. Well, a large manila envelope came in the mail today that said my husband was awarded a full grant to Laos. Woohoo! We actually lived in Thailand before (we had only one child at the time, now we have two) so this will be an adventure. We are both fluent in Thai (which is similar to Lao) and are excited for this experience. Good luck to everyone!

Just joined this place, I got my envelope that awarded me a Fulbright to Jamaica. Couldn't be more thrilled. Any other Caribbean bound souls?

To all those who've received an award, CONGRATULATIONS!

To all those alternates, I hope you will soon be notified of full-grant status.

...and to all those whom were declined, I wish you the best and hope that you will consider applying next year. I'm certain you were all equally qualified to fulfill the requirements of the grant but given the sheer numbers, there just weren't enough funds to cover everyone.

I was just notified (today on the West Coast) of my Fulbright Award to Oman. Looking forward to seeing all my MENA friends in D.C.

-Michael

Edited by ucb

Just joined this place, I got my envelope that awarded me a Fulbright to Jamaica. Couldn't be more thrilled. Any other Caribbean bound souls?

I'll be in Trinidad and Tobago! Congrats.

To all those who've received an award, CONGRATULATIONS!

To all those alternates, I hope you will soon be notified of full-grant status.

...and to all those whom were declined, I wish you the best and hope that you will consider applying next year. I'm certain you were all equally qualified to fulfill the requirements of the grant but given the sheer numbers, there just weren't enough funds to cover everyone.

I was just notified (today on the West Coast) of my Fulbright Award to Oman. Looking forward to seeing all my MENA friends in D.C.

-Michael

Congrats, Michael! I can't wait to see you in D.C.

I got my letter yesterday. Which state did you apply for? I'm going to Bayern. :D

I'll be in Berlin. Bayern is gorgeous-- I studied abroad in Munich, and I loved wandering around the towns and the mountains! Plus, you get an awesome football team. :)

Any Turkey updates?

Hey Turkey ETA finalists- have you guys seen the new ETA descriptions on the Fulbright website? Looks like they've really revamped the program for 2011-2012. Do you think this new description will apply to us? They definitely weren't this explicit before about placement locales- before I think it just said something along the lines of "placement may be in areas outside of Istanbul and Ankara" or something along those lines. This sounds like a completely different ballgame. Any thoughts?

Hey Turkey ETA finalists- have you guys seen the new ETA descriptions on the Fulbright website? Looks like they've really revamped the program for 2011-2012. Do you think this new description will apply to us? They definitely weren't this explicit before about placement locales- before I think it just said something along the lines of "placement may be in areas outside of Istanbul and Ankara" or something along those lines. This sounds like a completely different ballgame. Any thoughts?

Hmm. I might not be looking at the same page, but based on the description that I'm reading, the spirit seems to be in the same vein from our year to next year. Which description are you referring to?

Hmm. I might not be looking at the same page, but based on the description that I'm reading, the spirit seems to be in the same vein from our year to next year. Which description are you referring to?

I was looking at the link below... I don't know, maybe I'm totally bonkers? Like I said, I could swear it was much less specific before, in regards to the affiliation section... Not that it makes a difference one way or the other- I just thought it was interesting that the new description indicates that ETA's will ONLY be placed in locations outside of major metropolitan areas, whereas the one I recall was much more ambiguous.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/program_country.html?id=108#yok

I talked to Rachel Holskin this morning by phone.

She said Spain full grant and MBA letters went out yesterday (4/27).

But she said she had no updates for the rest of Europe. No other letters have gone out yet this week. She said Italy continues to wait on FSB approval, and she has no idea why that step is taking longer compared to other European countries.

So yay for Spain, but bummer for Italy, Turkey, Cyprus and Portugal :P You never know though... I know from my experience tracking Spain, it can go from "no news" one day, to "letters were already sent" the next!

Sally.

I was looking at the link below... I don't know, maybe I'm totally bonkers? Like I said, I could swear it was much less specific before, in regards to the affiliation section... Not that it makes a difference one way or the other- I just thought it was interesting that the new description indicates that ETA's will ONLY be placed in locations outside of major metropolitan areas, whereas the one I recall was much more ambiguous.

http://us.fulbrighto...html?id=108#yok

This certainly influences my desire to participate in the program, which was motivated by a side project that could really only be accomplished in Turkey's Eastern/Mediterranean cities. Also, would much rather prefer to be in a high school than a university (I have high school teaching experience), but emphasized uni desire on my application because that was what was available. Hmmm....wish we had known about this before! Oh well, the waiting continues...

No you're right! It has changed a lot; the description was more open ended before and didn't mention regions etc. I had saved the old description in bullet points last fall when putting my application together. Here it is to compare with the new one...

● Applicants must be native speakers of English:

● Knowledge of basic Turkish is recommended but not required:

● Fulbright ETAs are also eligible for the Critical Language

Enhancement Award on page 17:

● Applications are welcome from well-rounded candidates at all degree levels:

● irrespective of field of study:

● with the initiative to assist in teaching conversational English to

university students:

● Preference will be given to applicants in the social sciences,

humanities, English language and American studies:

● Previous teaching experience is helpful but not required:

● Successful candidates will not just be teaching English:

● But also explaining their country to Turkish counterparts who have

little contextual understanding of the United States:

● Applicants should submit descriptions of their study

● and/or career interests:

● Research proposals are not required;

● however, applicants may propose small research projects that will

not conflict with assigned classroom responsibilities:

● Grantees will be affiliated with Turkish universities:

● Positions involve working under the supervision of established teachers:

● ETAs may help teach classes in which conversation:

● and other skills such as vocabulary building:

● writing and:

● reading will be emphasized:

● Usually 12 hours a week in class are expected:

● as well as other support activity:

● Placement may be in cities other than Istanbul and Ankara

Here is the new University one:

Candidate profile Applications will be accepted from adventurous, well-rounded candidates at all degree levels, irrespective of field of study, with the initiative to assist in teaching conversational English to students in the pioneering new universities being set up by YÖK (the Turkish Higher Education Council) throughout the country. Preference will be given to graduating seniors in the humanities, social sciences, English language and American studies. Previous teaching experience is helpful but not required. Successful candidates will not just be assistant-teaching English but also explaining their country to Turkish counterparts who have little contextual understanding of the United States. Applicants should submit descriptions of their study and/or career interests. Research proposals are not required; however, applicants may propose small research projects that will not conflict with assigned classroom responsibilities. Candidates may indicate intensive language study – either with CLEA or privately at their own expense – in their free time, instead of proposing research.

Affiliation 35 ETAs will be placed in new universities in central, southeastern and eastern Turkey in Academic Year 2011-2012 to support the teaching and learning of English. These ETAs will spend approximately 20 hours per week teaching English (with a focus on speaking/listening skills), plus requisite class preparation time and school-related activities. The assignment may vary, depending on a school’s needs and the ETAs’ personal strengths and interests.

http://us.fulbrighto...html?id=108#yok