Fulbright 2010-2011

kiwicafe

thanks! good luck to you...you never know what may happen to take you off the alternate list! I'm actually pretty surprised that I got it, since I was also a Chinese major and studied abroad for a semester. My project is very language intensive though - all my research depends on me being able to communicate effectively and conduct interviews - so that probably had a lot to do it with. Also, I've been out of school for a year, so my language skills are pretty rusty and I definitely need more help than if I had gotten this grant right after graduating! (though I wish I had applied then...)

I'm doing the Middlebury program in Kunming. I was accepted in late March (I think) and had to pay the deposit within 2 weeks, so I'm relieved that I didn't lose the deposit!

I actually was just removed as an alternate last week! I'm doing Middlebury in Hangzhou. I'll see you in DC for orientation!

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know whether or not dependents are allowed to work abroad if they accompany a grant winner and the host country does NOT provide a dependent allowance?

Thanks!

I work at an immigration law firm (here in the U.S.), and assume that your spouse would have to comply with the country’s labor laws and obtain proper work authorization (i.e. a work visa), unless he/she wishes to work under the table... Perhaps this is something that Fulbright helps you arrange, but I’m not sure.

Would any one be able to divulge the speed/class of mail with which their notification was sent? I'm moving in 1.5 weeks, and need to calculate whether I should register my new address with the Fulbright folk.

Thank you!

Hey Turkey ETA recipients- I just got off the phone with the Turkish embassy re: visa applications. Sounds like we can't start our visa application process until we have a letter from the university we'll be teaching at as well as the Board of Education (YOK??). Anyone else have this info? I tried calling Rachel yesterday about visa stuff but she didn't answer, and hasn't called me back. So it would seem for the moment all we can do is get our health clearance, and then move on from there...

Hey Turkey ETA recipients- I just got off the phone with the Turkish embassy re: visa applications. Sounds like we can't start our visa application process until we have a letter from the university we'll be teaching at as well as the Board of Education (YOK??). Anyone else have this info? I tried calling Rachel yesterday about visa stuff but she didn't answer, and hasn't called me back. So it would seem for the moment all we can do is get our health clearance, and then move on from there...

That sounds about right. I think we have plenty of time for visa applications (I believe we don't have to be there until late September, judging from last year.) I think everything is dependent on health clearance, including placement.

Ah, thanks SVN. Didn't realize we'd be leaving so late, though from the fact that the Fulbright site says that we're expected to attend an orientation in Ankara in late September, I should have guessed!

That sounds about right. I think we have plenty of time for visa applications (I believe we don't have to be there until late September, judging from last year.) I think everything is dependent on health clearance, including placement.

No :P The last word was that notifications would be sent out tomorrow (4/27). So my plan is to hold off asking about it until Wednesday. However, if anyone else can't help themselves, please post what you hear here or on the spreadsheet!

Sally

So I found out I got a research grant to Spain a few weeks ago, does anyone know what the deal is for visa applications? How are we supposed to show we have a place to live etc.?

Are there any other full-grant recipients to Turkey lurking on this list? If so, have you received any information about your grant? I have a CLEA, as well, and am hoping to leave maybe as soon as the end of June for that, but I've got nothin', and am having a hell of a time reaching the appropriate person (per Rachel and Cara at IIE NY, this is Secil Yazicioglu) at the Turkish Fulbright Commission, so that I can, you know, have a grant document, get a visa, get a plane ticket, etc., etc. About 2 weeks ago Rachel told me that Turkey was all tangled up in trying to place the ETA's, but that seems to be straightening itself out...and still nothing. It would be reassuring to know that this lack of information is going around among the full-grantees, and isn't just the Turkish Fulbright folks hating me, in particular. :(

Cheers-

-Ellyn 

Is there anyone who applied for a Mongolia ETA for 2010-2011? Since it's a newer program there isn't a competition statistic, and I was wondering if anyone knew how competitive the ETA is? I'm debating between applying for a Mongolia or Nepal ETA for 2011-2012 and both countries interest me, so I might apply to the one that is less competitive.

Thanks!

Are there any other full-grant recipients to Turkey lurking on this list? If so, have you received any information about your grant? I have a CLEA, as well, and am hoping to leave maybe as soon as the end of June for that, but I've got nothin', and am having a hell of a time reaching the appropriate person (per Rachel and Cara at IIE NY, this is Secil Yazicioglu) at the Turkish Fulbright Commission, so that I can, you know, have a grant document, get a visa, get a plane ticket, etc., etc. About 2 weeks ago Rachel told me that Turkey was all tangled up in trying to place the ETA's, but that seems to be straightening itself out...and still nothing. It would be reassuring to know that this lack of information is going around among the full-grantees, and isn't just the Turkish Fulbright folks hating me, in particular. :(

Cheers-

-Ellyn

Per a vacation e-mail message, Rachel's away until Tuesday, May 25th. Hopefully you can reach her then!

Ah, thanks SVN. Didn't realize we'd be leaving so late, though from the fact that the Fulbright site says that we're expected to attend an orientation in Ankara in late September, I should have guessed!

I think I may have spoken too soon. Looking at academic years at Turkish universities, it seems their start dates vary from early to late September. I have no idea what to expect! If anyone finds out, please let us know. I need to give my boss my confirmed last date of work really soon.

I think I may have spoken too soon. Looking at academic years at Turkish universities, it seems their start dates vary from early to late September. I have no idea what to expect! If anyone finds out, please let us know. I need to give my boss my confirmed last date of work really soon.

OK, spoke to Rachel last night: we should aim to be in Turkey in early September. Also, there is a possibility of a DC orientation in late August for us, too. Since they apparently increased the Turkey ETA positions by sixfold, the Turkey Fulbright board is running a bit slower than usual. We should receive city/university placement letters at some point during the next month.

I just got off the phone with the Ankara office to find out a bit more about what is happening with the ETAs for Turkey. They confirmed most of what Rachel said. I was told the tenative date for an orientation in D.C. Is August 10th-13th. This hasn't been finalized though. Last year the ETAs started their grants September 15th, but there are so many of us it might shift this year. I hope this helps everyone! I can't wait to meet you all.

In major disbelief: I was moved from alternate to principle status for the full grant to Croatia

Joy? Yes joy, right?! Other-worldliness if anything...

Good luck to all alternates, oh how I understand the pain of limbo; just know that if you even applied for this behemoth, you are probably a qualified candidate for many great opportunities.

In major disbelief: I was moved from alternate to principle status for the full grant to Croatia

Joy? Yes joy, right?! Other-worldliness if anything...

Good luck to all alternates, oh how I understand the pain of limbo; just know that if you even applied for this behemoth, you are probably a qualified candidate for many great opportunities.

Congrats!

I'm new here, I found the site googling for other Fulbright ETA's to Indonesia.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if I could get in contact with people ahead of time. Add me on facebook if you want: "Christian N. Desrosiers" on the Amherst College network.

I also made this group:

http://www.facebook....60805299&ref=mf

I made the group to try to get a little network of people who are in Asia so that if people want to travel they have contacts wherever they go. The group is for any Asian country/the Indian subcontinent, not just Indonesia. And it's for people who are just living there, too---(as opposed to Fulbrighter-only).

Edited by cndesrosiers

Hey all, new to the board here.

I was notified this week that I was upgraded from Alternate to Principle status for a South Korea ETA grant. Anyone else headed to Korea?

Best wishes and good luck all.

Hey all, new to the board here.

I was notified this week that I was upgraded from Alternate to Principle status for a South Korea ETA grant. Anyone else headed to Korea?

Best wishes and good luck all.

Congrats! Can you tell me how you were notified? Mail, Phone or Email? I am waiting for Sweden and curious how they will notify if there is a change.