lets be honest...

I got into three schools (including my top choice) with a 3.48 overall GPA, 3.7ish in SLP. I think the fact that I had started my freshman year of college with a 2.8 and improved it to a 3.48 might have worked to my benefit though.

I was referring to compared to east and west coast schools. I have no idea how schools in the south are but from what I've seen on here, the coastal schools get many more applications. Some of the schools I applied to around here only got around 200 applications versus 700 that I've seen at schools in California. Statistically speaking a 1 in 200 chance is better than 1 in 700.

I definitely wouldn't say Midwest schools are less competitive. The top ranked schools, if you care about that sort of thing, are schools in the Midwest for the most part. Number wise, I see what you're saying, but the Midwest has quality programs too.

Edited by Madgab14

I know what you're saying with rankings, I currently got to UW-Madison and know how competitive it is here, believe me. There really isn't a thing as a not competitive school for SLP but the general feeling I get from this forum is that less people want to go to Midwest schools/relocate to the Midwest. I'm just saying that the less applications yours is going against, the more likely they'll take yours into consideration.

Hey everyone! I graduated with a 3.57 overall, a 3.27 in my major GPA (communication disorders), and a 3.88 in my minor (psych of developmental disabilities). I had okay GRE score, just barely made it to the 300 mark. I applied to 8 schools all along the east coast last year and got rejected from every one of them, (I had lower GRE scores last year). This year I expanded where I applied and applied from the east coast across the Midwest and towards the west coast. I got wait listed at about 7, accepted to 1, and got off the wait list at 2 (I haven't updated my signature). I certainly wouldn't say applying to the Midwest is easier because I know schools that get just as many applications. For me, I applied to Northeastern last year and they received over 750 applications which is crazy. From my experience of coming from such a low GPA (low in our field) I think all of the background experience I did to build my resume really helped, working hard on SOP and getting great recommendations are also so important. I know not everyone has the opportunity to just get up and move for school, but I will be moving halfway across the country and am so excited to start fresh, and at such a great program! So take it from me, you can get in with a lower GPA, but you need to make the rest of your package great!! Good luck!!

You may also want to look at class size in comparison to applicants. I applied to two schools with similar numbers of applicants, but one program caps at 20 students per cohort and the other at 35. Usually schools post on-time graduation rates for the program, so from there you can determine how many students they take in a cohort. 

Wow twinguy7, thank you for posting, your posting gives me hope!  Did you apply in the spring or fall?

I got in for Fall last year.  I hear Spring is easier to get into at  my school at least.  Deadline is July 15 for Spring apps I believe.  Grand Valley State University.

• 2 weeks later...