SDSU Fall 2015

Hey all, just wondering if anyone out there is going to be attending SDSU this fall? There's a lot of talk about all the programs in the Los Angeles area, but no one seems to have had SDSU as one of their top choices. Anyone? 

That's awesome! I was accepted there but decided to go somewhere closer to my home in North County. :) Good to see another San Diegean on here when I feel like everyone is from LA :)

That's awesome! I was accepted there but decided to go somewhere closer to my home in North County. :) Good to see another San Diegean on here when I feel like everyone is from LA :)

Congratulations on CSUSM. I definitely agree with you on the majority of people either being from the L.A. area or looking to move to the L.A. area for their program. Surprised there aren't at least a few people going to San Diego considering the proximity to L.A. and without the huge competition/concentration of all those MSW programs that L.A. has. So far I have only come across one other person on the boards that will be attending SDSU next fall. Anyways, congrats again on your acceptance. 

Congratulations on CSUSM. I definitely agree with you on the majority of people either being from the L.A. area or looking to move to the L.A. area for their program. Surprised there aren't at least a few people going to San Diego considering the proximity to L.A. and without the huge competition/concentration of all those MSW programs that L.A. has. So far I have only come across one other person on the boards that will be attending SDSU next fall. Anyways, congrats again on your acceptance. 

Thank you! Same to you, I loved everything SDSU had to offer, I just wish the commute was more do-able for me or I would be there with you!  Yes, I agree with you that it seems like LA is very popular with the MSW degree but there is so much competition for placements there too I have heard from friends. I have an interview in a few weeks with CWS at Balboa office so I am hoping to meet some other SD MSW students there. Congrats again, SDSU is a great accomplishment!!

SDSU was my dream school and getting an acceptance letter was such a great feeling. I too am surprised to not see much action on this thread

SDSU was my dream school and getting an acceptance letter was such a great feeling. I too am surprised to not see much action on this thread

Agreeded! I was most proud of getting into SDSU then any other school. I have heard such good things and I love the campus.

That might be because there is already another thread for SDSU MSW on the "Applications" section of this forum.

That might be because there is already another thread for SDSU MSW on the "Applications" section of this forum.

I saw that thread a while ago (which is why I originally posted the question there). It was started last year and the posts are few and far between with the last being in March and mainly deal with actually applying to SDSU, not about attending this fall, or even being accepted.

Agreeded! I was most proud of getting into SDSU then any other school. I have heard such good things and I love the campus.

I definitely agree with this. One of the few programs that actually wants applicants to take the GRE, which is a feat in and of itself to do well on while getting transcripts, recommendations, and personal statements in order. SDSU is a great program and campus and has comparative tuition to the other CA programs. It was a top choice for me and to echo what Porte049 said, most proud of getting into SDSU above the other programs. For me though, the deciding factor between the schools was the funding. I was surprised that out of all programs, SDSU offered the most which I wasn't expecting from a state school. I honestly thought (or perhaps hoped) that the L.A. schools would have better financial aid packages to make their programs more attractive considering the competition within that area and the likelihood of applicants applying to programs in the surrounding area. 

SDSU was my first choice, but ironically was the only one that sent me a rejection letter! I will be attending CSUF, good luck with your studies and maybe our paths will cross someday in the small small world that is social work. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that thread I created for the application process, didn't get much of a reponse after decisions were made. Maybe they don't have gradcafe accounts and are trolling, or they just don't know about gradcafe to post here? Either way I hope they find this thread and join! I'd love to see some more SDSU MSW talk.

Class registration times should be around mid July (July 14th is what I was told when I spoke with SSW)! I'm excited to register for classes :)

Edited by Sh!zaam

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so stoked! I talked to SSW, and they were able to move me from 3 to 2 yr program (my first choice)! Very happy they were able to do this for me. All I did was call and email a few people and fill out some forms.

Thought I'd share for future references or anyone else on here, switching from 3 to 2 yr is possible if they still have space left.  :)  

Edited by Sh!zaam

• 2 weeks later...

I made a FB group for 2017 cohort; feel free to join!

http://www.facebook.com/Sdsumsw2017

Thanks for the group Sh!zaam. It's pretty quiet in here since most the board is bound for L.A. Crazy how fast everything is going. Already have my registration time posted and classes picked out. Looking forward to the move. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the group Sh!zaam. It's pretty quiet in here since most the board is bound for L.A. Crazy how fast everything is going. Already have my registration time posted and classes picked out. Looking forward to the move. Cheers!

So I ended up making a page instead of a group and had to delete it. But! Since, like you said, Cali_Coast, it is very dead in here lol. Seems to be just you and me! So feel free to message me to add me on FB personally if you want-- since I need a member of our cohort to start an official group anyway.

I know right? Very exciting. Time is flying by! I have my field practicum set up, and in just about 7 days I will be registering for classes (which I already have picked out in my wish list as well  :D). Woohoo SD here we come! Good luck with the move! I'm still searching for an apartment  :rolleyes: !

Edited by Sh!zaam