Clinical Psychology Sleep Research?

sid251

Hi all!

I'll be applying to clinical psychology PhD programs this fall. I have overlapping interests in chronobiology/sleep as well as stress and trauma, but I'm having a hard time finding clinical research faculty that conduct any sort of sleep research (particularly with a health focus). I know of Bootzin at U Arizona, and Hall at UPitt, but if anyone has anyone else to add, especially those who do any work combining sleep and trauma, it would be MUCH appreciated!

-C

I've interviewed at U Arizona back in February, and unfortunately, I heard that Dr. Bootzin passed away fairly recently this past December. My host at Arizona was actually mentored by Dr. Bootzin as well. 

Edited by JoePianist

Do you guys know about Dr. Rebecca Spencer, she is BIG on sleep. But that's all I know; I am not sure if she is in the clinical field.

Do you guys know about Dr. Rebecca Spencer, she is BIG on sleep. But that's all I know; I am not sure if she is in the clinical field.

Thanks for the info. I'll check her out!

Is Canada out of the question? Dr. Carney at Ryerson University is also big in sleep.

Edited by when

• 3 weeks later...

Is Canada out of the question? Dr. Carney at Ryerson University is also big in sleep.

Thanks. Canada is probably out of the question though, but good to know of someone else engaged in sleep research

• 6 months later...

Hi crd251,

Sorry that I am so late to the game...I applied to 7 clinical programs focusing on sleep research for fall 2016. Would love to hear more about where you ended up applying ! 

I applied to work with Dr. Hall. I also had contacted Dr. Carney, but after talking to the chair at Ryerson it seemed highly unlikely to get funding as an American in Canada - and they told me that they had never accepted a foreign student before to the program.  I figured it was unlikely I could be the one to change that 20 year precedent.

Hey all! I actually did research with Bekky Spencer in undergrad for two years...great mentor and overall experience. Would highly recommend, however, she is not clinical :/ I know that there are clinical folks that look at sleep and aging, but not trauma. If anyone is looking for further resources, I'm happy to help!

5 hours ago, pink_freud said:
1 minute ago, Piagetsky said:

Dr. Gaultney does research on sleep in a clinical health psych program at University of North Carolina - Charlotte.  Deadline has passed for this year, but maybe she'd be of interest for next year?  Also considered applying to Ryerson but heard that same statistic and figured I'd save my $75.

http://healthpsych.uncc.edu/directory/jane-gaultney

Hi crd251,

Sorry that I am so late to the game...I applied to 7 clinical programs focusing on sleep research for fall 2016. Would love to hear more about where you ended up applying ! 

I applied to work with Dr. Hall. I also had contacted Dr. Carney, but after talking to the chair at Ryerson it seemed highly unlikely to get funding as an American in Canada - and they told me that they had never accepted a foreign student before to the program.  I figured it was unlikely I could be the one to change that 20 year precedent.

• 1 month later...