Freaked out about grades. Thoughts please.

Hi everyone!

I was hoping for some thoughts and opinions. I am in the first year of a two year MA and my first semester I got A/A/A-/B and this semester I got A/A/A-/P (the P is for a no credit Pass/Fail class). I am frustrated and startled because I have worked hard and am worried about how the two A minuses and the B will look when I apply to PhD programs. My GPA is currently around a 3.7-3.8 but I will be taking one more class. I know that no one has a definite answer for these types of questions but again I was just hoping for some opinions. I plan to apply to a range of PhD programs (meaning a few from each tier) but I am mostly concerned with a program that is a good fit.

Many thanks!

I'm sure the grades won't be an Achilles's heel. Masters programs are supposed to be more challenging, and a 3.7-3.8 undergrad GPA is considered competitive. SO why wouldn't it be from grad school? 

That being said, what I suggest to everyone is consider the full package. Is it just your grades that make you eligible for these programs? If so, a 4.0 might not be enough. Having experience (teaching, research, professional, volunteer) is really needed to help elevate your chances. Don't rely on just undergrad experiences, as current as possible is preferred. 

Hi psychkita

Thanks for your thoughts. I am working as a TA and a research assistant next year so I will have some other experience other than my undergrad experience. I also am less worried about the A minuses than the one B. But I am worried about those three grades combined because I don't want PhD committees to think I cannot handle graduate work. Like I said I a just shocked and not sure what I am doing wrong. I did have a 4.0 during undergrad and while I realize that grad school is much different and more challenging I am surprised this has been the outcome. And its not like everyone else in my program (there are 10 people in my year) has done perfectly (though some have). I know there are a couple other Bs and A minuses that some people got but I still feel really disappointed in myself and I am incredibly nervous about applying to PhDs. Anyways thanks for your reply!

What class was the B in? If it was in your main class on a subject to which you're applying to grad school (Don Quixote and you want to get a Spanish lit PhD studying Cervantes), that's not nothing. I'd talk to your supervisor, since grad school is a learning curve, and that means some things will be challenging. The B isn't great, but can be ameliorated if you show it's a hiccup, not a pattern. So as long as you have a plan to do better in the next class on Cervantes and address that somehow, either in further coursework next year or in your SOP, I think you come out looking good.

If it's in one of your other classes, though? I don't think you need to worry. It's a good GPA overall - and hey, you tried a class that would broaden your scope*, and it turned out not to be your core strength. No big deal. At least in my experience, admissions types appreciate the experimental spirit.

*Even if it really is quite close to your Main Topic, everything that isn't your main topic is broadening your area or skillset in some way.

My worst grades are in the courses that are most directly relevant to my field of research. Grad admissions committees are looking for applicants that show the most potential to do great work and succeed in their PhD program. Although having strong grades (especially in your field of research) shows that you have a strong foundation, having a strong foundation is only one way you can demonstrate potential for success. Admissions is a holistic process, so remain focused on presenting the best overall picture of yourself and try not to get too stuck on small detail like a single grade. 

Look at the policies in place at the PhD programs that are of interest. In my case, many of the PhD programs I intend on applying to require a minimum of an A- in all graduate-level courses.

Those grads sound just fine! I'm in a doctorate program and honestly, while grades do matter, it's your research experience and work outside the classroom that matters the most. Upon interviewing for my program, they explicitly stated that while they looked at grades, anything north of a B was fine with them; they cared more about research experience and letters of recommendation. So make sure your application is full of those and take advantage of any opportunities you can outside the classroom! And you can always ask your professors why you received the grades that you did. I'm sure they'll be more than likely to steer you in the right direction!