How Much Does Your Undergrad Thesis Matter?

By this I mean -- I didn't do an undergrad thesis but am strongly considering applying to MAs in the fall. I'm assuming this means I'm out of the running for lots of places. If I have other samples in my field of interest, does it matter that much?

Edited by unicornsarereal

I think that if you've composed papers in your field or areas of interest, you could submit one of those papers. Naturally, the paper should be substantial (at least 10 pp), and should demonstrate your research, analytical, and close reading skills. And polish/revise it and have colleagues and the professor for whom you wrote it read over the paper.

Also, and maybe I'm just uninformed, but haven't many programs' deadlines passed already?

I doubt very much it will matter. Usually the writing sample component of your application will have a page cap, particularly for MA programs (nothing over 15pgs seems common). So even if you do the thesis you will only be able to give them a portion of it or a very truncated version of it; either way it might not be the best medium to showcase your writing abilities. 

By this I mean -- I didn't do an undergrad thesis but am strongly considering applying to MAs in the fall. I'm assuming this means I'm out of the running for lots of places. If I have other samples in my field of interest, does it matter that much?

No, it doesn't.  I wrote an honors thesis in undergrad, spent a year researching it, and ended up writing a brand new writing sample pursuing a completely different interest for my graduate school applications.  Staying within the page cap, writing well, and demonstrating knowledge of a subject is more important than the occasion you wrote it for.

It doesn't matter at all. I didn't do an undergrad thesis and I did just fine this application season. Term papers from upper-level courses work well as writing samples.

The important part with the writing sample is to submit your best work, whatever that is. My personal experience - I was told to submit something that had "passed through official channels," just because the grad I received was proof it was quality work, whether that was a Thesis or a very good term paper. Doing a thesis might be a feather in your cap, but if you haven't done one, and you're an otherwise strong applicant, it's not going to hurt you.