Switching programs after 4 years into my PhD

neuropsych76

I began my PhD in psychology and had a pretty awful time in graduate school. Poor mentoring, lack of fit, ect. I switched into a sociology program at my same school and I'm much, much happier now. The department actually cares about its students and I can study topics that I am interesting. So I wanted to mention that it's possible to switch if anyone is considering it!

Anyway, I do not know what to write on my CV for my 4 years of doctorate training! I didn't earn a MA and will be getting my PhD from the same school. How would be the best way to describe my time at my last PhD program? I was essentially ABD and did all the coursework. Could I just write PhD candidate? Should I say how many credits I earned? I did publish 3 articles during my time there so I was somewhat productive despite the awful experience. 

Thank you!

I wouldn't list that you're ABD in psychology on your CV unless it's somehow relevant. I definitely wouldn't put the number of credits you learned or anything like that on your CV. Is there any way that you could still earn a MA or MPhil in psychology so that you had something from that time to put on your CV?

What are you getting your PhD in?  Sociology?  You're taking your exams in Sociology, right?  You left that Psych department and are no longer being supported by that program.  Your first year is irrelevant.

However, I'd still CONSULT with your adviser and DGS on this issue.

I agree with the above - there's no reason to put that time in your psych PhD on your CV. You can certainly put the publications from the time on your CV, and if you had some official title like "research assistant" you can put your work on your CV. If anyone asks you about that period of time you can be upfront and say that you were in a PhD program in a different field for 4 years before switching, but you don't have to worry about it being on your CV - you were productive, and few people are deeply interested in what you did before you began the relevant PhD program.

Thank you all for your replies!

Unfortunately, earning an MA isn't possible at this point, but once I get my MA and PhD in sociology, it hopefully won't matter much. 

I guess it is confusing because a decent number of credits from my psychology program transfer into sociology. 

However, I like the idea of just listing my pubs and titles. I was a research assistant and instructor as a psychology PhD student. So I'm think about just listing those titles along with the publications so it makes more sense.

That makes sense. You can and should also list the classes you taught as an instructor. I have every class I've ever taught on my CV even though I've taught in... three different departments.