Is grad school right for an actor/dramaturg?

jmills62

I'll be a senior musical theatre major this fall. I've been doing some reading & fallen in love w/ the idea of dramaturgy- especailly since I already work at a library as a research assistant.

My goal is to actually be employed as a dramaturg (well, assistant/intern somewhere, that's not a position you get right after graduation, I'm sure) and be able to audition/take masterclasses when I can and also rub elbows with people in the theatre on a regional level, maybe even continue to train as an actor and have them see me as a useful dramaturg and employable actor. Because I love writing (not plays, like papers reviews etc), play analysis, reading (literature and plays) and my library position and would love to do that for a theatre but I love performing just as much, if not slightly more. I've done it since I was 7, it's what my degree is in. First, I am an actor.

I know there are intern/apprentice programs out there such as Seattle Repertory Theatre that employ/train actors post-grad but I really want to either get my 2nd bachelor's degree or graduate degree in english/dramatic literature or dramaturgy... I feel as though english/dramatic lit will open more doors for me though and make me more well-rounded for the position versus strictly dramaturgy.... Am I thinking properly here?

Also, a lot of univesities that I've come across for english and dramatic lit are in the UK... I'm elated because I would love nothing more than to live & study abroad. My undergraduate program didn't allow that sort of flexibility.

A friend of mine described the concentration of a graduate degree in english & I'm fairly sure I don't want to be that concentrated, I want to learn it all & be well-versed in material... I think I'm rambling now, but does anyone have any advice for this?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a masters in English would be right for you, since, depending on the school, you might only need to fulfil coursework and so wouldn't have to specialize. A second bachelors in English would also perhaps do what you want. I would caution you away from a 2nd bachelors in dramatic lot if only because that seems a little TOO close to what you've been doing.

• 1 year later...

English or Creative Writing would be a suitable option. A couple friends who majored in Drama applied for Creative Writing MFA programs. I'm looking at a few UK universities at the moment and happen to come across a Masters in Shakespeare Studies at King's College (London). You might be interested to check it out.

• 1 year later...

This is a bit different than what you've suggested, but I'd recommend checking out some Master's programs in Media Studies, Media Arts, etc., to see if they interest you. Many offer broad curriculum in things like screenwriting, aesthetics, lighting, and business aspects of entertainment/arts; and also help you find internships in casting, development, writing, and that sort of thing. Just a thought, since your interests in the field seem quite broad.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're going down the dramatic literature path, be sure to contact professors who do research in dramatic lit and check the curriculum of the program. English is very well rounded in that classes can cover plays, memoirs, poetry, etc but that can also be its hinderance. 

Also, English people are fucking weird compared to theater people.

• 2 months later...

My two cents: I would recommend trying to get some experience doing dramaturgy before going down the graduate school road. Having experience in your background will probably make you a more competitive candidate. It can also help you to A: confirm you want to pursue an advanced degree in the field, and B: help you to discern what kind of specialization and experience you want in graduate school and in your career. You said that you’ve fallen in love with the idea of dramaturgy, and I will simply point out that this might not inherently mean you will actually fall in love with the practice of dramaturgy or an English degree. Futhermore different schools offer different types of experiences and may have different goals. Do you want to be a literary manager, a new play dramaturg, a teacher, a critic, etc.? Try to get your hands dirty first. Internships in dramaturgy, literary management, etc. would be a great place to start. I see no reason why you would need an advanced degree to qualify for an internship. I would recommend applying for a few, and see where that takes you. The people you meet doing an internship could also be a great resource for letters of recommendation, networking, learning about different programs, etc.