Graduate assistantship, teaching assistantship, research assistantship out of department

Just wanted to share a bit of advice. If you haven't been offered an graduate assistantship from your own department, look to other departments. A lot of times they are looking for students and even know slp students are hard workers so may favor them. I see a lot of posts about choosing a dream school versus one that has offered you a scholarship/assistantship but is local/ not your top choice. I went through this debate myself and ended up choosing my dream school. I decided that even if I didn't get any money, for me, personally, it was worth it. However, I also I thought might as well apply to anything I could find (GAs, TAs, RAs, etc) because I had nothing to loose. I ended up getting an assistantship from another department which covers tuition and gives a stipend. Obviously it was a gamble, so I decided based on the assumption I would not get anything. But it my point it just that just if you don't originally get offered anything, there is a real chance you could get something substantial later. The department told me that they frequently hire SLP students because they have had good past experiences with them. Even if departments don't advertise, dig around, ask a lot of people because I the worse that you can hear is not and they you're just back were you started. Hope that helps someone. 

This was a pain to read. You might want to go back and edit some.

Please, kindly disregard my post then. This is the first time I started a topic, and I was watching TV when writing it and not paying too much attention. Just wanted to share some advice and good news. However, I've clearly only pissed people off with my poor lazy grammar. Sadly, I'm too lazy to go back and edit it. While I completely agree that poor grammar is a pain, you might want to go back and edit some of your older posts, your poor manners are a pain to read. 

Thank you, JFFA, for this valuable advice! It's awesome that you were able to get an assistantship with another department, and that it came with a tuition waiver and stipend. Way to be resourceful! Congrats!! :)

And hey, guys, remember that language--whether written, spoken, or signed--can be characterized by irregularities for many different reasons. Hopefully we can have the patience to work with others' "flaws" (in their language, their character, or other) and have faith that others will also have the patience to work with our own shortcomings. :D

"To err is human; to forgive, divine." -Alexander Pope

Good advice, I've been thinking of applying but know very little of what it entails. What exactly do you do?

Hi kristenflowers, if you're asking about how to apply for positions outside of your home department, the following advice might be useful.

If you haven't already, visit the website of the department you're interested in and see if they have any information. If there are existing opportunities, you may be able to find details about what they entail, how to apply, the compensation, etc. You can then e-mail the contact person (if listed) and inquire as to whether applicants from outside departments would be considered. If you don't find the info you're looking for, e-mail the head of the department.

In either case, introduce yourself and state the reason for which you are contacting him/her. Briefly describe your background/qualifications, and make it clear why you are interested in working for the department in question, and in what kind of position you are interested (e.g., research assistant, teaching assistant, tutor, etc.). It would be good to attach an updated and relevant resume, and just thank them for their time and consideration.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Hi kristenflowers, if you're asking about how to apply for positions outside of your home department, the following advice might be useful.

If you haven't already, visit the website of the department you're interested in and see if they have any information. If there are existing opportunities, you may be able to find details about what they entail, how to apply, the compensation, etc. You can then e-mail the contact person (if listed) and inquire as to whether applicants from outside departments would be considered. If you don't find the info you're looking for, e-mail the head of the department.

In either case, introduce yourself and state the reason for which you are contacting him/her. Briefly describe your background/qualifications, and make it clear why you are interested in working for the department in question, and in what kind of position you are interested (e.g., research assistant, teaching assistant, tutor, etc.). It would be good to attach an updated and relevant resume, and just thank them for their time and consideration.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Thanks so much!