Overwhelmed?

modernity

Anyone else? I know its early in the process, but I think that might be why. I just have such a long list of things to do: retake Gre, finish writing sop, revise SOP (repeat 20 times), order transcripts, contact professors, etc. I am also applying to quite a few universities, so that multiplies the process as well (as I am sure it does for most of you!) What are you doing to get yourself organized (How are you keeping all the dates, universities,etc. straight)? What are you doing to relax/focus? Any suggestions for SOP brainstorming/revision?

i agree!!

while retaking gre, taking the subject test +applying for canadian us and Uk scholarships --> my letter writers are going to hate me

doing a full courseload + honours seminar ontop of a thesis + RA position

& applying to schools with very different programs (ie. cannot just use same SOP for all)

i am trying to do it all as early as possible! im asking for reference letters now

doing 1 school at a time so you don't get the requirements mixed i honestly hope SOPs get easier with practice my 1st one took weeks to write

This is going to be about getting organized:

I found it useful to compile a large excel table to keep me organized. I then printed it and hung it above my desk at home, with the deadlines printed LARGE and in red. It's annoying to compile, but once its done I found it very pleasing to cross out individual requirements and put a BIG check mark next to completed applications :D

I tried to keep all possible relevant information in my table, so I'll have everything I need in one place:

- school name,

- application fee,

- deadline,

- details of application requirements (+ link to the site that lists these. periodically check to see that nothing has changed(!) ):

- length of SOP; SOP prompt.

- nr of recs; submit online/via post ?

- writing sample (needed? length?)

- nr of transcripts; send directly from school or yourself? sealed, signed envelopes?

- GRE/TOEFL required?

- any other req mentioned on the website (personal statement, financial statement, cv, whatever).

- link to online application website.

- username & password for the online app.

- names of interesting faculty, links to their webpages,

- program website, tentative list of "special" things about the department that it might be wise to mention in an SOP,

- address for shipment of transcripts,

- address for shipment of writing sample (sometimes different!).

After finding out what the reqs were for each school, I got right around to compiling kits for my LoR writers. I set up a "reminder system" with each of them and also put that in the table, so I would know when to drop by their office or send an email to see if they still remembered I existed..

Also, I ordered the transcripts as early as possible (right after calculating exactly how many I needed + 3 extras just in case).

I alternated working on my SOP and writing sample. I found I needed a few days between writing on a new draft and being able to critically reread it, so in the meanwhile I worked on the other essay, or studied for the tests. Or, you know, went out for a beer. Once you've got a finalized version of the SOP for one school, it's not that difficult to change it to fit another - so first worry about having a general working version and then add the "fit paragraph".

Try to do as much as possible as early as possible, so you're not stuck at the last second with technical problems (you'll see posts on e.g. december 31, 11:56pm that start "the server at X university crashed and I can't submit my app .. what do I do??"). At the same time though, I found it pretty much a waste of time to first fill out the details in all of my apps, then later finalize and send each of them - I just ended up doing everything twice because I rechecked and reread what each site required. It might be wiser to work and complete one application at a time.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Wow. That list is VERY helpful. I'm using it to fill in the blanks of my list, since there were some things I forgot. I think that will definitely help with my organization issues if I use excel and put it up somewhere easily accessible. Good tip!

I started pretty early in the process. I've registered for all schools I've considered and entered any information I possibly can. I also have a folder filled with folders for each school which contains anything I need to submit or work on (e.g. sop, other prompts, supplemental forms). I've only done 6 rewrites (normally have 5 - 6 people look at my paper each time) for my SOP, but it seems that my LoR are happy with what I've written thus far. Now I just need to tailor the SOP which shouldn't be so difficult since I already have my reasons for attending almost each respective school. I also have a list of schools with addresses and how many transcripts needed to send. I'm hoping to finalize everything by mid-October, then do another once over and send everything in early November.

It is an overwhelming process and then we need to play the waiting game too. That's probably an even worse feeling since the decision is totally out of your hands.

"That's probably an even worse feeling since the decision is totally out of your hands." Heh, I'm looking forward to that, actually :P.

Anyways, my own way of organizing is a folder for each school filled with various stuff: sop drafts, lists of professors with interests that match mine, papers to read, and a small text file with essential stuff like how many pages the writing sample is and what the deadline is.

Each of my letter writers gets CV + writing sample + SOPs (this is over time) + transcript + list of deadlines.

I have 21 hours so that I can graduate in time to attend this as yet unrealized phd program I hope to be joining in the fall. When not in one of said 7 classes I am learning to write a grant by "practicing" on a half million dollar request in my research position and then there's the little matter of applying to ten schools.

So, yes, overwhelmed applies. :?

But, we do what we have to do, right?

I have a master list on google docs not unlike the ones discussed above. They list due dates, any special requirements or requests, etc. I am also applying for the Javits and it's deadline is Oct 5th which really puts the rush on things. My earliest school app is due Nov 1st for "preferred consideration".

And I retook the GRE today.

My body is asking me in not so subtle ways is I am insane. I've fought off a sinus infection and all kinds of aches and pains.

But I have been through worse. It's times like this that I'm grateful for the time I've served in cubicles. :) It helps me keep a perspective.

My biggest issue is getting folks to do my LORs in a timely fashion. I created an online sharepoint for my letter writers and everything to try and make it as easy as possible and still I'm pretty sure none of them have gotten started!!!

GAH! Myself I can depend upon. It's the other moving parts that are nerve racking.

I am totally overwhelmed.

I just took and failed the GRE, so I will have to retake it at the end of Oct

I am student teaching for a very intense teacher and working on a pretty hefty briefing paper, and I am taking French.

I am married with three boys. My husband is also going to school fulltime and working part time.

On top of that, still have to write a SOP, do apps for 7 schools, edit a writing sample, work on and turn in a presentation proposal for a conference (although I might not do that since I will be studying for the GRE all this month). Also, my hubby will have another year of school left, so he will also need to figure out what schools to should apply to and do that.

I am totally overwhelmed.

I just took and failed the GRE, so I will have to retake it at the end of Oct

I am student teaching for a very intense teacher and working on a pretty hefty briefing paper, and I am taking French.

I am married with three boys. My husband is also going to school fulltime and working part time.

On top of that, still have to write a SOP, do apps for 7 schools, edit a writing sample, work on and turn in a presentation proposal for a conference (although I might not do that since I will be studying for the GRE all this month). Also, my hubby will have another year of school left, so he will also need to figure out what schools to should apply to and do that.

Wow that sounds really tough. Just try to stay organized, keep a schedule (as tough as it may be), and try not to go insane. If you still have to write your SOP and you don't have any ideas. I'd bring a little notepad with you where ever you go and jot down ideas during your few seconds or minutes of free time.

As far as organizing things, I do not feel overwhelmed. My semester is quite busy (Latin and Greek, an Independent study, writing a senior thesis), but the most overwhelming, daunting aspect of this whole process is writing the SoP. I have good grades, I suspect I'll do reasonably well on the GRE (end of October), and my recommenders all think very highly of me. I even helped my girlfriend write her SoP last year and it was easy - the great advice came from my lips as if I had written a million statements of purpose (she got into Duke, so I guess some things worked). Now I'm writing my own and in one week I've scrapped 4 drafts. I'm almost convinced I'll never get a Ph.D because I cannot write an SoP.

I am with you on the SOP writing. I've written one before, I helped friends with theirs last year, but when it comes to writing mine this year...I just keep scrapping everything I write. Its so frustrating. I am sure it will be fine in the end. I just really want to be done with the process early this year, and so I am putting a lot of pressure on myself to get it done. I guess its just a matter of getting through everything piece by piece and breaking it down. Perhaps trying to write a paragraph here and there?

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I feel like I can't progress on my apps. Each week I eke just enough for the next week, while my apps are just stagnating.

I'm trying to cram all the weekly stuff I need to do into fewer days, and also trying to dedicate a specific day (or whole weekend) to working on apps. It's kind of working out, but it definitely isn't easy.

Wow that sounds really tough. Just try to stay organized, keep a schedule (as tough as it may be), and try not to go insane. If you still have to write your SOP and you don't have any ideas. I'd bring a little notepad with you where ever you go and jot down ideas during your few seconds or minutes of free time.

Thanks

I dropped French because it felt like too much.

I bought a whiteboard tonight to get all important dates and requirements out in front. I was planning to move the GRE back to Nov 15, so that I could really have enough time to study and learn and feel ready. But I just realized that 3 of the schools I plan to apply to have Dec 15th deadlines, so I think the 15th might be cutting it too close. But it would be disastrous if I didn't give myself enough prep time and failed again,

i have a question, which may be dumb.... why do people apply to so many schools

whenever i tell profs im applying to 10 they look at me like im crazy haha

like why not apply to half of htem that way you can spend more energy contacting profs reaserachign teh school writing a really well tailored SOP

My to do list is different. I have been out of school since the late 90s, last time full time in 96. I'm working through the application process, studying for the GREs (my last one is from 96...hahah way too old), ordering transcripts and the applications. By far and away, GREs studying is the most extensive. Im only applying to 3 schools for a variety of reasons, including time constraints. But since I'm working full time and have a family, I'm trying to balance them as well.

My most difficult challenge is approaching my boss, who will be an excellent recommender ordinarily, and asking him to put in a good word for me so I can leave the office (my role is essential) and they are under a hiring freeze. That actually warrants its own post. But other work-related tasks interfere with college preps.

So while im not in school, yes it is overwhelming here too.

i have a question, which may be dumb.... why do people apply to so many schools

whenever i tell profs im applying to 10 they look at me like im crazy haha

like why not apply to half of htem that way you can spend more energy contacting profs reaserachign teh school writing a really well tailored SOP

The obvious reason to apply to a lot of schools is to increase the chances of being admitted. Of course you have to do your research and find the places with the best fit, and you need to write good sops. But generally you write most of the sop once and only change the fit paragraph, and if you start in time there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to both thoroughly research schools and apply to a dozen of them. Beats the hell out of having to wait a year and reapply because you were too picky in the first round. Costs more that way too.

I especially relate to captiv8ed and pea-jay. I've been out of school since the 2001. I am applying to four schools. The deadlines are all in early January. In order of what overwhelms me most to what overwhelms me least:

1. Prepping for GRE (this was an unexpected requirement of one program that I learned about in September...the rest of my programs don't require it).

2. Finding an old research paper to use for a writing sample (I've hunted my house from top to bottom, but I've moved 5 times or more since being in school, so...), then editing it.

3. Contacting profs at the schools (which also involves me finding missing notes from my meetings with a couple of the schools).

4. Writing my s.o.p. (I've definitely worked on this, but it is nowhere near a first draft form that I can even begin to have people review).

5. Responding to extra essay questions on some of the applicatios.

6. Updating my CV.

Some things don't overwhelm me, such as general completion of the applications, but those are few and far between.

On top of it all I have a partner, two young children who are not yet of school age and who both have special needs and have a lot of medical and speech/occupational/physical therapy appointments, a demanding 40-60 hour/week job, and an old house that always has something going on with it that needs attention...oh, and because of my job, the fact that I am applying for school is viritually secret so I don't have a lot of support.

My goal right now is just to make sure I can study for at least an hour each day, and I'm not close to making it yet.

Oh yeah, and the number ONE thing that worries me is that I don't have money to register for the GRE, nor money to pay for my applications. I am totally freaking about that, especially the GRE since I want to register in time to get seats on my preferred date in my preferred city.

Prepping for GRE (this was an unexpected requirement of one program that I learned about in September...the rest of my programs don't require it).

Wow. Is this program one of your top choices? It's a lot of money to spend on applying just to this one school (gre+app fee+transcripts) if it's not a top choice. If I were you I'd contact the school to make sure that your potential advisors are taking on new applicants next year and that the school can fund its incoming cohort (I assume you're going to want to be funded). Otherwise I'd seriously consider saving my time and money and not apply. Just my 2 cents.

It is my very top choice, and so far there does seem to be at least some mutuality of interest (hard to tell). But yeah, I've considered ditching the effort several times just because it is like EEek!

I've also decided not to spend as much time studying it as I might otherwise, since it isn't required at the other schools. Still, I feel like I need to at least give it a worthwhile shot, since again, it is my very top choice.

BTW, I meant I learned about the requirement in September (it is a new requirement), not the program LOL.

Oh yeah, and the number ONE thing that worries me is that I don't have money to register for the GRE, nor money to pay for my applications. I am totally freaking about that, especially the GRE since I want to register in time to get seats on my preferred date in my preferred city.

I completely understand- I'm unemployed right now (one of the many victims of this wretched economy) and have zero money left over after paying bills each month. But I'm applying to 10 schools, which means I have to make about $1000 dollars appear out of thin air in the next two months. I refuse to apply to fewer schools because I am hell-bent and determined to get into grad school this time (this is my second attempt). Fortunately I don't have a family to worry about so it's just gonna be me that goes hungry. :|

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? :wink:

Yeah, sure.

I completely understand- I'm unemployed right now (one of the many victims of this wretched economy) and have zero money left over after paying bills each month. But I'm applying to 10 schools, which means I have to make about $1000 dollars appear out of thin air in the next two months. I refuse to apply to fewer schools because I am hell-bent and determined to get into grad school this time (this is my second attempt). Fortunately I don't have a family to worry about so it's just gonna be me that goes hungry. :|

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? :wink:

Yeah, sure.

and what does kill you makes your mom and dad stronger. if you look at it that way, it's sort of a win-win :?

I'm totally overwhelmed. And I have to say it's nice to know I'm not alone. Deadlines are coming up and each step of the application process seems so painstaking. My CV is almost complete, but I haven't started my SOPs or LORs yet. I'm applying to programs after being out of school for 8 years. This is something I haven't been able to commit to for the past 4 years. My GRE scores and undergrad GPA aren't stellar. So my confidence in this whole process isn't where I want it to be and I will have to apply to some no-name local schools in addition to the more competitive ones. I'm in school part time and I work. I don't have time to study and retake the GRE, but I am going to enroll in a statistics pronto so I can slap it on my grad school applications as proof that I DO have some up to date quant skills (8 years later).