Fall 2017 MFA

kaiphi

2 minutes ago, aridari said:

It really is, especially when there's news of waitlists and acceptances for some of them trickling out. Really not equipped this time around to deal ha. Do the Canadian schools take a while to get back? Good luck!

I'm not sure! I've been checking the MFA Years Notifications and the University of Victoria is the only one on the list and they have sent out their non-fiction acceptance - I applied to fiction.

32 minutes ago, tonydoesmovie said:

I'm not sure! I've been checking the MFA Years Notifications and the University of Victoria is the only one on the list and they have sent out their non-fiction acceptance - I applied to fiction.

Yeah, gradcafe doesn't seem to have other notifications other than that one cnf this year. But genres usually notify separately from each other! Hang in there

Edited by aridari

8 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

Why did you apply to Canadian schools?. It seemed like none of them offered full funding :/

The programs seemed to offer a greater variety to areas of study. Having a diverse catalog of courses was important to me. For example, University of Guelph-Humber offered a drama course in conjunction with fiction, University of British Columbia offers stageplay, TV writing, and writing for children/ YA workshops along with their fiction workshops, and University of Victoria had an elective within film and TV structure. I'm really interested in having a well-rounded (for me) education.

Beyond that, two of the programs allowed me to submit a screenplay in my portfolio. Most selfishly, Toronto and Vancouver are hubs for film and comedy, and I wanted to be in art communities where comedy, film, and writing intersected and collided magnificently, outside of the traditional UCLA/USC routes.

12 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

Wow, that sounds really exciting! Do they offer funding? How will you pay for it? Get a job at the school so they'll remit tuition?

If I have to sell my body, and in this economy, there isn't much demand for it, then that is what I will do.

I have work experience at university already, so hopefully that would translate well. UBC and Guelph-Humber offer a bit of funding per semester to students. From there, I'd want to utilize TA- and GA-ships, scholarships, etc. Also, relative to other non-fully funded programs in the US, their credit cost per hour and tuition by semester are steals compared to their US counterparts (yes, even converting for Canadian Dollars).

Hey grad cafe world! I have been a major lurker but decided to post today because I saw someone else who applied in Canada. I have had the hardest time ever finding info on schools there and got overly excited seeing someone mention Canada!

So hi @tonydoesmovie. I applied to Memorial University in Newfoundland and got in, which is cool. I'm waitlisted for funding, though, which is not cool. I have family there and that was the main draw for me. Since hearing the news I have been debating about going anyway since it would end up being cheaper with the exchange rate and overall cost of tuition. We'll see what happens...

Anyway, good luck to all! This thread has certainly helped assuage some of my nerves over the past few weeks, so thanks. :)

1 hour ago, manandcamel said:

@aridari I have a large map on my wall marking each place I applied. The whole PNW is a heartbreaker!

Tell me about it! The pnw dreams are dying a sloooow death. Or maybe all the dreams. I've been avoiding looking at my spreadsheet ha. a map is a nice idea

Does anyone have any thoughts on waitlists? Like what do you think the odds are of getting off of a waitlist. 

I got waitlisted at McNeese, so I'm desperate to calculate my odds.

2 hours ago, sadpoet said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on waitlists? Like what do you think the odds are of getting off of a waitlist. 

I got waitlisted at McNeese, so I'm desperate to calculate my odds.

Congrats on the waitlist! They're tricky, as most programs don't tend to give much detail about the list to applicants on them, and every school is different. Regardless, there have been many stories of people getting off of them. Just keep in touch with the school, and ask them (general, or if you have them, specific) questions about the waitlist process while letting them know you're enthusiastic and interested. They may or may not answer all your questions but it's not bad etiquette to ask, as long as you're polite.

Edited by aridari

If you're 99% sure you won't go to a school, do you inform them right away so they can take someone off the waitlist? In other words, is it customary to wait until ALL your results have come in to reject offers, or do you respond as soon as you think you can? I don't want to sound like a dick, but I am dreading writing this email. The school has been so nice, which makes it all the harder. 

Last question: Is it better to just say you cannot attend or to state that you have decided to go to X school instead? 

Does anyone have any insight into UMass Amherst poetry applicants? What does it mean if I haven't heard anything from them yet? I saw a few people post results a couple of weeks ago, but I've heard nothing...

8 minutes ago, paperpencil said:

If you're 99% sure you won't go to a school, do you inform them right away so they can take someone off the waitlist? In other words, is it customary to wait until ALL your results have come in to reject offers, or do you respond as soon as you think you can? I don't want to sound like a dick, but I am dreading writing this email. The school has been so nice, which makes it all the harder. 

Last question: Is it better to just say you cannot attend or to state that you have decided to go to X school instead? 

Would love to hear others insights on this as well. Draft may be a good resource from seasoned folk.

In my opinion, if I were given that decision to make (and I hope we all are given that burden) I would state how thankful and appreciative I am of the opportunity, how nice my points of contact have been to work with, and how lovely the school is, however, at this time, I feel like a school (I would not name them) has presented me with what I feel is the best opportunity for me and that I have chosen to accept their offer of admission. Again, I would endlessly thank them for acceptance and kindness and wish them and their new cohort all the best.

1 hour ago, mmc557 said:

Does anyone have any insight into UMass Amherst poetry applicants? What does it mean if I haven't heard anything from them yet? I saw a few people post results a couple of weeks ago, but I've heard nothing...

HEY this was me a few weeks ago. Check your SPIRE status. I had emailed the admin in late Feb, who confirmed I am wait listed. My portal status finally changed from "applied" to "wait listed" on the 6th of March.

Per the admin, this is the first year they have had wait lists. Message me if you wanna chat.

Hi all, any word on whether Rutgers-Newark, NCSU, or UVA has notified people? I'm not on draft, so I miss some of the updates. 

Keep on keeping on (by which I mean writing). 

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

@romola re: Newark and UVA, both schools told me that notifications would start coming out in "a week or so" from now. hold on there!

Re: re: rumor has it that UVA poetry's been pushed back to ~20th of March, instead of the standard ~15th. Source: I spend too much time on Draft. 

@Sleam fiction seems to be the latest round of acceptances. No CNF word yet. Per TGC results, it seems like (take w/ grain of salt) that acceptances go out in a couple of waves, then in late March, rejections are sent. The acceptance doc from last year's Draft has disappeared, so no comparison on there. 

Edited by manandcamel