UCLA MSW Fall 2016 Applicant

Jen B

Just now, Lorie said:

Did you get something from the department?  The app status link for me contains a link to a letter from the Dean of Graduate studies and that letter states the department should be sending me something that details the timeline I have to accept.  How long did they give you to accept?  If you got a letter from the school- did it say anything at all about financial aid or other potential scholarship opps beyond the fellowships?  (I know you said you later got  the diversity fellowship- congrats!!!!!!)

Hey @Lori, yes! I got my acceptance letter online on Feb 13th and then received my official letter in the mail about a week and a half later! 

1 hour ago, lizlizliz said:

Congrats!!! Thanks for letting us know. Did not get any news yet. Do you mind sharing your stats and when you applied? :) thanks

Hi lizlizliz, thank you.  I only found my news by incessantly checking the grad status link.  I still don't have a letter from the department but the grad status link has a link to a letter dated today (so hopefully the department letter is on the way).  

Background as follows:

-flunked out of college at age 18 with a 1.6 GPA

-worked in corporate America gradually climbing way up from bottom for 15 years. Last few years spent researching large Fortune 500 companies and regulations in banking and healthcare industries (finding ways to help corporations work around legislation that protected the lower and middle classes)..couldn't sit with it and decided to make a change to the other side.

-Went to Santa Monica College to do prereqs while working 

-Undergrad currently finishing at CSULB in Social Work, 4.0 GPA on all Jr/Sr work.  3.3 overall GPA

-Semester internship in LAUSD School Mental Health

-2 Semester internship at an affordable housing provider in Santa Monica(more macro community work)

-1 year paid work on 2 research studies related to developmental disabilities and autism and Latino families

-9 months to current paid work on medical research study related to heart attack patients at Cedar Sinai

-1 year volunteer work on human rights documentary

All in total, I'm pretty new to this field.  Hope that is encouraging to all.  Hope all our letters of acceptance come today!!!!!

8 minutes ago, MrsKozee said:

@Lori, you can accept through a link in the letter itself. You don't need to wait for your actual physical letter in the mail to accept!!! ☺️☺️☺️☺️

I think so but I was hoping to find out more about scholarship opportunities to help me in making the decision.  We are working with the county to foster to adopt so even though I don't qualify for financial aid, our ability to contribute is pretty weak, and I need to put the future child first financially.  Just trying to figure out what it all means for us.  I could go to CSULB for 1 year program but ......it's not as good.  Thanks for listening!  

6 minutes ago, Lorie said:

I think so but I was hoping to find out more about scholarship opportunities to help me in making the decision.  We are working with the county to foster to adopt so even though I don't qualify for financial aid, our ability to contribute is pretty weak, and I need to put the future child first financially.  Just trying to figure out what it all means for us.  I could go to CSULB for 1 year program but ......it's not as good.  Thanks for listening!  

I see... I am not sure about other scholarship opportunities.... I didn't get my scholarship award until about two weeks after my acceptance... I applied late November... Financial aid is pretty non existent for graduate studies besides scholarship and concentration  fellowship opportunities ... Everything is loans.... Yea.... Not cool.... Crossing my fingers that you get a great scholarship!! Yes; I totally get it! I have an 8 and 2 year old.. If you can sacrifice for two years, it will be worth it in the end!!! The county will also give you money every month for the child!! Something it think about!!

24 minutes ago, MrsKozee said:

Hey @Lori, yes! I got my acceptance letter online on Feb 13th and then received my official letter in the mail about a week and a half later! 

FASFA related information should be sent out end of March.... Call the financial aid office and ask questions!!

13 minutes ago, MrsKozee said:

FASFA related information should be sent out end of March.... Call the financial aid office and ask questions!!

Good idea.  I sent the school some questions just now about possible other scholarships or research work. I am going to call the Financial Aid office Monday.  I want to find a way for it to work!

18 minutes ago, MrsKozee said:

I see... I am not sure about other scholarship opportunities.... I didn't get my scholarship award until about two weeks after my acceptance... I applied late November... Financial aid is pretty non existent for graduate studies besides scholarship and concentration  fellowship opportunities ... Everything is loans.... Yea.... Not cool.... Crossing my fingers that you get a great scholarship!! Yes; I totally get it! I have an 8 and 2 year old.. If you can sacrifice for two years, it will be worth it in the end!!! The county will also give you money every month for the child!! Something it think about!!

I am so scared of taking out that much in loans as I already have undergrad loans and am over 40.  I want to save the county's money for the child in an education fund for them, if at all possible.  How long did they give you to accept?  Thank you for answering all my questions!

6 minutes ago, MrsKozee said:

That's the spirit!! I hope you find all the answers you need, and hope to see you there this fall!! Also, welcome day is April 5th... Not sure what time?

Thank you.  I hope so too.  I'll be in touch!

1 minute ago, Lorie said:

I am so scared of taking out that much in loans as I already have undergrad loans and am over 40.  I want to save the county's money for the child in an education fund for them, if at all possible.  How long did they give you to accept?  Thank you for answering all my questions!

This makes so much sense!! I paid my student loan off some time ago, but I get it... Congrats on the addition to your family; that's incredible!!! ☺️☺️☺️ Yes, saving that money also makes sense... I would want to do the same... I am not sure how much time they gave; I accepted immediately.  This was my number one choice; I love the program and I loved the campus while I was there for my undergrad. I also applied to USC, but I prefer the smaller cohort and UCLA experience... I have no heard from USC yet... 

8 minutes ago, MrsKozee said:

This makes so much sense!! I paid my student loan off some time ago, but I get it... Congrats on the addition to your family; that's incredible!!! ☺️☺️☺️ Yes, saving that money also makes sense... I would want to do the same... I am not sure how much time they gave; I accepted immediately.  This was my number one choice; I love the program and I loved the campus while I was there for my undergrad. I also applied to USC, but I prefer the smaller cohort and UCLA experience... I have no heard from USC yet... 

I think you are making the right choice.  I agree about having a smaller cohort!  I didin't apply to USC - the cost was just to much to think about given what kind of money we will be making and my age.  I'm psyched for you- what concentration are you going in to or do you know?  I want to get the PPSC certificate and work in School Mental Health for a few years, then hopefully move into designing interventions.

Edited by Lorie

1 hour ago, Lorie said:

Hi lizlizliz, thank you.  I only found my news by incessantly checking the grad status link.  I still don't have a letter from the department but the grad status link has a link to a letter dated today (so hopefully the department letter is on the way).  

Background as follows:

-flunked out of college at age 18 with a 1.6 GPA

-worked in corporate America gradually climbing way up from bottom for 15 years. Last few years spent researching large Fortune 500 companies and regulations in banking and healthcare industries (finding ways to help corporations work around legislation that protected the lower and middle classes)..couldn't sit with it and decided to make a change to the other side.

-Went to Santa Monica College to do prereqs while working 

-Undergrad currently finishing at CSULB in Social Work, 4.0 GPA on all Jr/Sr work.  3.3 overall GPA

-Semester internship in LAUSD School Mental Health

-2 Semester internship at an affordable housing provider in Santa Monica(more macro community work)

-1 year paid work on 2 research studies related to developmental disabilities and autism and Latino families

-9 months to current paid work on medical research study related to heart attack patients at Cedar Sinai

-1 year volunteer work on human rights documentary

All in total, I'm pretty new to this field.  Hope that is encouraging to all.  Hope all our letters of acceptance come today!!!!!

Wow thanks for sharing! Sounds like you have great experience ! Best of luck to everyone still waiting for news 

Sooo..., I just received an email from USC to inform me that I did not get the Dean's leadership scholarship.  Funny thing, the end of the email said ' we look forward to seeing you here this fall'? I wonder if that is a very generic closing or if I will be getting my acceptance soon?… I guess I'll have to wait and see. Did anyone else have the same experience?

On March 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM, MrsKozee said:

Hi. No. I keep checking the mail every day. I could just accept from the link on the application status portal, but I am still weighing options and not ready. I wrote them Friday with questions but no response yet. I wish I knew how long I had to decide. Acceptance letter from the school was dated March 4- it talked about a department letter forthcoming.  I am going to call the department if I don't hear back by Friday.