UCLA MSW Fall 2016 Applicant

Jen B

By the way ... If you guys don't mind :) can you guys chance me ( even tho it's a little too late) I've just never talked to anyone about applications and what not Cus I decided last min to apply.

im just worried about my lack of experience 

psych major at Ucsb 3.7 gpa 

3.8 for last 60 units 

I was an intern at family care network (foster care services) for a year

current research assistant for a psych lab 

5 months at domestic violence solutions 

1 years Alzheimer's center 

2 years tutoring for psych at my old cc

On July 16, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Jen B said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm applying to the MSW program at UCLA for Fall 2016. My undergrad GPA is only a 3.3, I have a little over 3 years experience working with at-risk youth, foster care youth, and currently doing a 1 year internship with an organization that focuses on Reproductive Justice. 

I'm worried about my chances of getting in because of my GPA. I didn't take the GRE because on the MSW online checklist it mentioned you don't have to submit GRE scores if your GPA is lower than a 3.3. I've also tried contacting professors I'd like to work with but haven't heard back yet. 

I'm also applying to U. Michigan, U. Washington. Both of which don't require the GRE. 

What are my chances of getting in to any of these schools? 

I think you have a good shot. GPA doesn't mean everything to grad schools, there are multitude of factors that go into making someone a good candidate. Your work experience is good, but you also should have strong LORs and a good personal statement. That stands out to most committees more than anything. Sure your GPA might be on the lower average end, but as long as your grades show that you can handle difficult classes, you have a good shot. Good luck :)

On February 13, 2016 at 2:11 PM, lizlizliz said:

thank you for sharing. Wow, extensive experience ! well deserved. i cannot wait to hear back - whether good or bad. 

I just saw this... Thank you so much!! Have you called to see if maybe they can tell you something over the phone? Speak to Tanya, she seems to be the person sending out acceptances... I spoke to her last week; I wanted to know about first year courses so I can start buying my books now.. She laughed and asked me my name... I was slightly embarrassed... Then she followed up with, you're one of the first emails I had sent out... Call and tell her you are losing sleep, very excited to hear back and wondered if there is any way she could at the very least let you know when you might be hearing back... That's how I'd present it!! Good luck!

Edited by MrsKozee

@Msw_22, I don't expect to hear from them until the first or second week of March... My application was submitted almost a week before the due date, but my community college transcripts  didn't arrive until the end of January.... I am on the wait until after the March deadline list.... Two weeks will fly by soon enough!! Well.... 

I have all ready accepted UCLA's offer.... I love the program, and the campus! I am very happy I will be going back for graduate school!  However, I am very curious about what USC has to offer in terms of scholarships... You never know!  I'm looking forward to their offer!!

Hey y'all!

Just found this forum! Was wondering if anyone knows the last day for UCLA to notify whether you're accepted or not? I submitted on January 15th! Getting impatient. About to submit to USC as well.