UCLA MSW Fall 2016 Applicant

Jen B

Just now, Msw_22 said:

@van2312 wow congrats !! Did you get an email as well telling you to check your app portal ?

Thank You!!!! :) No I did not I just randomly checked because I saw on here that their letter was on the portal and just logged and was shocked to see it updated.

Edited by van2312

I was accepted to UCLA last Friday, but I called in Monday and they said I did not receive the graduate fellowship...

This was probably the only way I was able to finance my graduate education. Do any of you know if there are any scholarship/fellowship opportunities for undocumented students? I am in a situation where I do not qualify for loans.

I was also accepted to UChicago's SSA program with a $30,000 scholarship, but their tuition is just way too high!! And including living costs I don't know if it will be affordable.

I'm trying to make some tough decisions here... :(

Finally received the much awaited news!!!! After sending Tiffany a frenzied email she told me I have been admitted! She said to expect a letter from graduate committee within 10 days and one from the department sooner than that :)!

Edited by lizlizliz

4 hours ago, sl332907 said:

I was accepted to UCLA last Friday, but I called in Monday and they said I did not receive the graduate fellowship...

This was probably the only way I was able to finance my graduate education. Do any of you know if there are any scholarship/fellowship opportunities for undocumented students? I am in a situation where I do not qualify for loans.

I was also accepted to UChicago's SSA program with a $30,000 scholarship, but their tuition is just way too high!! And including living costs I don't know if it will be affordable.

I have been told to get in contact with the SW department (preferably someone over financial aid and scholarships) and see if they can match what Chicago offered you or at least something close. I'm not applying/attending UCLA, but this is what I did for NYU. 

9 hours ago, Msw_22 said:

I got accepted to UCLA!!!!! got an email from Tiffany asking to call her when I'm available and said I've been accepted!!!!

congratulations!!!! Ok I got the same email and I was asked to call her. I called her she said we are forwarding your application for recommendation of acceptance. But I have not received an email yet. Have you?

3 minutes ago, Anna9019 said:

congratulations!!!! Ok I got the same email and I was asked to call her. I called her she said we are forwarding your application for recommendation of acceptance. But I have not received an email yet. Have you?

I received the same phone call and message from Tiffany ~4:30 pm! She said to expect a letter from the graduate committee (decision reflected on portal) in no more than 10 days and a letter from the department sooner than that. Hope that helps!

52 minutes ago, lizlizliz said:

I received the same phone call and message from Tiffany ~4:30 pm! She said to expect a letter from the graduate committee (decision reflected on portal) in no more than 10 days and a letter from the department sooner than that. Hope that helps!

Oh good. I am just overly pessimistic and won't believe it until I see it. I heard her say it and I didn't believe it. I am wayy to excited as you can see. 

On March 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Sbjj0701 said:

Thank you! Congrats to you too!  If I happen to see anything about the commitment deadline, I will definitely let you know!

I got the letter in the mail finally. I have until April 15. 

6 hours ago, MrsKozee said:

you guys!!! Look for UCLA MSW-Fall 2016 on Facebook!! One of our cohort members created it just now!!!

congrats to all!!

Hi. I see a UCLA MSW 2016 group with 191 members but I don't see a Fall one. 

On 3/10/2016 at 1:22 PM, sl332907 said:

I am also deciding between the two schools because Chicago SSA program offered me a 28k scholarship. I am too afraid to call into UCLA to see whether or not I got the fellowship, so I am just waiting it out until maybe like next week :(. If I do not get the fellowship at UCLA, I think I would be going to Chicago because 44-28= 16k while UCLA's tuition around 22k (considering I will not be getting any scholarships). Argh! 

:(

@anony2888, I'm so sorry. Is WUSTL unable to provide additional funding in any way? I understand being debt-averse; for the most part, we're going into fields that are undervalued salary-wise yet require $100K to train for them. It's crazy.

Edited by RCtheSS

@RCtheSS: They offered a $10,000 scholarship pro-rated over two years for the MSW and no funding at all for the MPH, so my cash price would be $99K tuition before living expenses. I have not attempted to negotiate for more because I do not have excellent numbers or research to cite. They would have to give me at least $30K more in order for me to feel comfortable with the cost and that's extremely unlikely.

Congrats to all of you on your hard-earned successes!

Just now, anony2888 said:

@RCtheSS: They offered a $10,000 scholarship pro-rated over two years for the MSW and no funding at all for the MPH, so my cash price would be $99K tuition before living expenses. I have not attempted to negotiate for more because I do not have excellent numbers or research to cite. They would have to give me at least $30K more in order for me to feel comfortable with the cost and that's extremely unlikely.

Congrats to all of you on your hard-earned successes!

Hey its amazing itself that you were accepted for a dual master. Do not be afraid to ask for more money, you never know till you try. Be honest with the school. I hope they can work something out for you.