2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

7 hours ago, gyrase said:

AH i've been meaning to watch that! Someone needs to take this computer away from me so I stop overanalyzing survey results from 4 years ago and twiddling my thumbs over when UW MCB will be sending out invites... lol

Lol here it goes. Stop wasting your life and just be peacefully waiting loll go watch some quality TV

7 hours ago, jaesango said:

I applied immuno track here as well, didn't hear from them this evening...feeling a bit down since I thought I would be a good fit in a couple labs :(

anyone have good Netflix recommendations? 

The grand hotel!!!! Omg it's like a period mystery.  So so good.  You can watch hours of it and not get bored.  And although I've not given up hope, I'm using it as an exercise in being grateful for what I do have.  :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Edotdl said:

I wouldn't lose all hope. As I posted before, my friend told me his former UCSF PI said BMS invites would come out Dec 18th. The PI is in immuno so maybe, immuno invites are coming out a bit later?

I missed this comment before!  Well, now my hope is back up!  *hyperventilates a tiny bit* and I just booked my flights to Princeton!  :D:D  December 18th and 19th are going to be HAARRRRD

1 minute ago, biochemm said:

Admitted to UT Austin PhD program in Nutritional Sciences... Sweet!

Can't wait to see what else comes up.

Congrats!

Also, for anyone who applied to CSHL, I emailed them and they said that applications are currently under review and interviews will be Wednesday, January 20 - Sunday, January 24 and February 3-7. 

1 hour ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I missed this comment before!  Well, now my hope is back up!  *hyperventilates a tiny bit* and I just booked my flights to Princeton!  :D:D  December 18th and 19th are going to be HAARRRRD

Any idea whether Princeton's sent out any other Molecular Bio interview invites yet...?

9 hours ago, Farafeelo said:

Should be pretty soon ... i heard apps are in final stages of review this week so invites should be coming out soon ... they are also pretty good at sending out rejections along with interviews so you don't have to sit around wondering ... 

Ah cool! Good to hear.. It'd be great to have a somewhat stress free christmas

The survey says UW Genome Sciences invited have gone out on the 17th the past few years and according to their calendar they had a "faculty meeting" two days ago. I will be refreshing my email all day and watch it doesn't come out till later

i don't remember if this was asked before, but for interviews, if they give you multiple options, is it more advantageous to go to the first recruitment weekend versus a later one?  tryna work out conflictssssss.

I'm having a Pre-Harvard Stress Disorder. I cleant up my inbox, unsubscribed to 90% of my emails, carefully emptied my junk folder, and overdosed on chocolates - all in anticipation of an email from Harvard this week. Will be deeply saddened if I don't up hearing from them on the 19th :unsure:

All the more anxious coz like a moron I didn't contact/email any professor before applying :(:(

Edited by Microburritology

2 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

I'm having a Pre-Harvard Stress Disorder. I cleant up my inbox, unsubscribed to 90% of my emails, carefully emptied my junk folder, and overdosed on chocolates - all in anticipation of an email from Harvard this week. Will be deeply saddened if I don't up hearing from them on the 19th :unsure:

All the more anxious coz like a moron I didn't contact/email any professor before applying :(:(

I'm hoping they will send out invites tomorrow ... highly doubt they will be notifying on a saturday ... but if not tomorrow, then next week for sure 

35 minutes ago, Earl said:

i don't remember if this was asked before, but for interviews, if they give you multiple options, is it more advantageous to go to the first recruitment weekend versus a later one?  tryna work out conflictssssss.

On 12/14/2015 at 4:06 PM, Infinito said:

Don't read too much into it.

There are many reasons for that. You could also, if you have a conflict, say you need the first weekend. 

But, it's usually either due to the following.

a. The department of interest you have (within an umbrella program) puts on you a different weekend;

b. It's set by the graduate school and not the department, so it's to make sure the whole campus isn't flooded one weekend;

c. It's based on rolling admissions (i.e. someone's app was approved first so they designated them to come the first weekend until all slots filled up, then you got bumped to the second weekend);

d. The lowest probability option is that the first weekend interviewees have a higher rank, but this isn't viable in most places because schools don't send invites unless they have too low applicants, or you have a 70% chance of being admitted because they want you. It's not cost effective to make people interview and pay for them to come if the department thinks you aren't already a viable candidate.

So breathe. Don't think about it. Just go with it.

Forum search is your friend.

But pretty much the answer is that if you can choose, it usually doesn't matter. You just want to let them know ASAP in case one fills up. Also, some will let you know if a certain weekend is catered to a certain department or track within an umbrella program.

Also, just got another interview. 5/12 so far. Still in shock.