2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

30 minutes ago, biosci said:

another weird question: If a school gives you a choice of staying with a current student or staying in a hotel, does it look better to the school if you choose to stay with a student?

They don't care, its just to save themselves money. Every grad program I visited last year put prospectives up in really nice (and expensive!) hotels, which is probably preferable to sleeping on a couch in a current grad student's apartment.

2 minutes ago, Kinetic Isotope Defect said:

They don't care, its just to save themselves money. Every grad program I visited last year put prospectives up in really nice (and expensive!) hotels, which is probably preferable to sleeping on a couch in a current grad student's apartment.

Thanks.  I would definitely prefer to stay in a hotel, so I chose that option, but I don't want them to think I am snobby and/or antisocial.  I just want to be well rested for my interviews and everything.

The program director for the CMB program at PIBS called me and I might be able to negotiate an alternate weekend! 

Edit: An alternate weekend has happened in the past, so it's actually likely that I'll interview!

Edited by Bioenchilada

6 hours ago, scilinny said:

That the track will matter or residency? 

I'm hoping that the track matters, because if not I'm rejected from UCSF and Penn -_-, but I'm not going to give up hope on them until I get a firm rejection email... Although its also possible that these invites are coming out in waves, and that we simply haven't hit the next wave (regardless of track). 

Residency... the only reason I say that is because of the questions they asked on the application

2 minutes ago, daniolabtest said:

Woop! Interview for Weill Cornell!

@brainsandeggs I got the Feb 10 interview. Is that the difference between the Langone and Belfer groups?

awesome!! I got Belfer so could be? I figured they gave me the mid-week one because I'm in the city already, but that makes more sense

43 minutes ago, Infinito said:

Well, that makes it easier to accept another conflict that I had, and look forward to Stanford, lol.

Also Yale BBS (MCGD) just sent out the official letter.

40 minutes ago, biosci said:

I haven't gotten my official letter yet... cue the anxiety

Phew.  Just got it.  Was starting to worry I had dreamt the call!

9 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

The program director for the CMB program at PIBS called me and I might be able to negotiate an alternate weekend! 

Edit: An alternate weekend has happened in the past, so it's actually likely that I'll interview!

OMG, wait which one was this? I might need the alternate too! So if they had more people for the alternate, they may actually do it, and we could meet each other!

24 minutes ago, Ferroportin said:

Just got a phone call to interview with UC Berkeley MCB! 

Congrats! I'll be interviewing there too! Which date are you choosing?

AND as I type this up I also just got an invite to UCSD Biological Sciences! Ah I never imagined my applications would be so successful holy nuts

14 minutes ago, bicsy said:

Congrats! I'll be interviewing there too! Which date are you choosing?

AND as I type this up I also just got an invite to UCSD Biological Sciences! Ah I never imagined my applications would be so successful holy nuts

Congrats!! I just got UCSD Biological sciences too! 

For UC Berkeley I'll probably do the first January weekend since UCLA will fall on Feb 19th (if I do ever hear back from them...)

2 minutes ago, Ferroportin said:

Congrats!! I just got UCSD Biological sciences too! 

For UC Berkeley I'll probably do the first January weekend since UCLA will fall on Feb 19th (if I do ever hear back from them...)

Congrats!!! Did you get a phone call or an email? Do you mind sharing the dates?

3 minutes ago, bishengke said:

Congrats!!! Did you get a phone call or an email? Do you mind sharing the dates?

I got a phone call for UC Berkeley from a POI. He said the email invitations won't go out until Jan, but the dates are Jan 31-Feb 2 and Feb 21-23. 

UCSD Biological was an email. Their dates are Jan 29-30 and Feb 9-10.

33 minutes ago, biosci said:

Phew.  Just got it.  Was starting to worry I had dreamt the call!

True story.

But I'm actually in a pickle. When they called, it was really early and it was a whirlwind of info. I think I accepted without realizing I already had the Feb date confirmed elsewhere.

However, I checked the BBS website and it said the following interview dates existed.

February 5th & 6th: MCGD and CBB Tracks

February 19th & 20th: MCGD, MMPP, and Immunology Tracks

However, the letter doesn't give any option about the second interview date for MCDG. So It's either a typo, or I really hope to be able to go to that one ><
I wonder if anyone has gotten that alternate date.

1 minute ago, Infinito said:

True story.

But I'm actually in a pickle. When they called, it was really early and it was a whirlwind of info. I think I accepted without realizing I already had the Feb date confirmed elsewhere.

However, I checked the BBS website and it said the following interview dates existed.

February 5th & 6th: MCGD and CBB Tracks

February 19th & 20th: MCGD, MMPP, and Immunology Tracks

However, the letter doesn't give any option about the second interview date for MCDG. So It's either a typo, or I really hope to be able to go to that one ><
I wonder if anyone has gotten that alternate date.

I am going on the 19th date

1 hour ago, Gram Neutral said:

Which program? Their due date for me isn't till Dec 20th.

Immunology. I think the due date for my program is the 1st of January? I just opted to submit my application early with the rest of the (early) December due dates. I figured I might as well have it out of my hair.