2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

1 minute ago, RaganSmash said:

Same boat as all of you. From Memphis, got a BS and MS near Chicago, then landed a biotech job in Seattle.  Gotta have a PhD to get where I want to be, but I am really tired of moving and starting over so this year only applied to UW Immunology and UW Bioengineering. GPA of ~3.4 and ~3.6. So yeah, go non-traditionals!

I'm totally in the same boat as you.  I'm from California and I stuck with CA schools because I really like where I live and I don't want to have to leave quite yet.

I have a 3.25 GPA, but a 3.4 in my Jr/Sr. year.  I have publications and all sorts of posters/orals and great LORs.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised by my lack of contact from schools yet, but I am hoping that I get an interview or two in the second round once some others have turned them down. 

6 minutes ago, pandorse said:

Should you respond to the email which states that you are invited to an interview, or just RSVP in the provided link and that should suffice?

The interview e-mail didn't seem personalized towards me.  I'd like to respond with a thank you, but the e-mail was sent via their admissions email address so I'm not sure what to do

Please advise!

I'd reply with a thank you, worst case scenario no one reads it. Best case you make a good impression.

8 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

I'm totally in the same boat as you.  I'm from California and I stuck with CA schools because I really like where I live and I don't want to have to leave quite yet.

I have a 3.25 GPA, but a 3.4 in my Jr/Sr. year.  I have publications and all sorts of posters/orals and great LORs.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised by my lack of contact from schools yet, but I am hoping that I get an interview or two in the second round once some others have turned them down. 

man, yeah, we're all the same ;). I'm in NYC and would love to stay, so I'm keeping fingers crossed for albert einstein or a magic late invite from cornell. It definitely gets harder to pick up and move as you get older.

My GPA was a 3.06, but I also have a master's (3.6, which is still mediocre because you really have to screw up to get below a B in many grad programs, haha). I'm pretty happy with the work I do now, but I really don't want to max out in a few years. And one of my undergrad interns applied to PhD programs last year and had a handful of solid acceptances. He was just a mildly intelligent guy with good grades, and I taught him everything he knew about research. So once that happened, I was like jeez now I really need to go back, because this guy CANNOT be my boss one day! ;)

Edited by parafilm

UMich just emailed me a rejection email, relatively early, nice to not be left in the dark for a few more months.

Congrats to others who got interviews there! They have fantastic research going on there.

1 hour ago, mwgskol said:

just got invited to Wisconsin CMB interview!!!! I'm soooooo excited right now I can't stop talking 

58 minutes ago, biosci said:

Me too :)  Congrats!  Hoping they will let me somehow combine it with my cellular & molecular pathology visit...

Congrats. Me three.
Except all three weekends are already booked for me so :/

On December 20, 2015 at 8:58 PM, tempbiostud said:

Does anyone know the status of the following schools and programs?

Emory - PBEE PhD

UWash - Microbiology PhD

UCSD - Biomedical Sciences PhD

Baylor CoM- Molecular Virology and Microbiology PhD

UPenn - Genomics and Computational Biology PhD

I'm thinking I got rejected across the board.

uw micro has not sent out invites yet 

33 minutes ago, parafilm said:

Don't think there are any other posters here applying for UColorado Anschutz cancer bio, but in case of lurkers/future applicants, I got an interview(my first!!! phew!!!) via email today.

Congrats! When is your interview weekend? 
I'm interviewing for UColorado's immunology program on 1/10-1/13.

6 minutes ago, Focus said:

Congrats! When is your interview weekend? 
I'm interviewing for UColorado's immunology program on 1/10-1/13.

Nice! Cancer Bio isn't until Feb 5, I've got some time to kill. I actually grew up in Denver, and it's a really nice place to live, so I wouldn't hate going back! Seems like there's some solid research going on there, too.

44 minutes ago, parafilm said:

Don't think there are any other posters here applying for UColorado Anschutz cancer bio, but in case of lurkers/future applicants, I got an interview(my first!!! phew!!!) via email today.

Congratulations!! I'm applying to Cancer Bio there too and also got an invite today.

I also got an email for an interview at University of Washington Immunology today. Very good day!

I'm surprised no one's heard back from UCSF tetrad yet on the forum. I only see a handful on the survey. Either they're taking their sweet time, or they are being more selective than Harvard BBS for the first cut. 

Wisconsin CMB to finish of my universities. Gonna have to end up declining unfortunately. Good luck to all those still waiting and to all those who just got acceptances! Can't wait to meet some of you at these interview weekends!

3 minutes ago, GeneWeaver said:

Congratulations!! I'm applying to Cancer Bio there too and also got an invite today.

I also got an email for an interview at University of Washington Immunology today. Very good day!

Congratulations! I still haven't heard anything from UW Immunology...in 2011/12/13, they sent out rejections before interview invitations, but no one reported rejections in 2014. So I have no idea what's going on. =\

7 minutes ago, pot8o said:

I'm surprised no one's heard back from UCSF tetrad yet on the forum. I only see a handful on the survey. Either they're taking their sweet time, or they are being more selective than Harvard BBS for the first cut. 

I agree. Seems like their interviews have been trickling in on the acceptances page. Weird. 

1 minute ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

So excited (and relieved).  Just heard back from my first school!  Got an interview.  It's on a popular weekend for the schools I applied for but I am going to take it since its the first school I heard back from and since it's one of my top 3!

Yay!!! Congrats!

20 minutes ago, daniolabtest said:

Just heard back from Dartmouth's PEMM program!

Bummed I may not be able to go on their main interview weekend, already schedule another on that ends on the first day of PEMM's... Gonna see what's up with their alternate. 

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application? I submitted mine on November 3rd (my last recommendation went out on November 30th though), and I haven't heard back from them yet.

Just now, ForScience! said:

If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application? I submitted mine on November 3rd (my last recommendation went out on November 30th though), and I haven't heard back from them yet.

I submitted mine on Dec. 15. I did make some connections with the program at a conference I went to and focused my application for the neuroscience track, so I don't know how much either had to do with the quick turnaround. The deadline is the 31st so I wouldn't worry too much about the radio silence right now! And seeing where you have interviews you're probably a pretty good applicant ;)

1 minute ago, daniolabtest said:

I submitted mine on Dec. 15. I did make some connections with the program at a conference I went to and focused my application for the neuroscience track, so I don't know how much either had to do with the quick turnaround. The deadline is the 31st so I wouldn't worry too much about the radio silence right now! And seeing where you have interviews you're probably a pretty good applicant ;)

Ah! Thanks for letting me know. I applied to the Cancer Biology and Molecular Therapeutics track, and since the deadline is January 15th, I guess I am just being a bit paranoid.

Thanks for the compliment! After only getting 1 interview invite during the last application session (Fall 2015), and being waitlisted and ultimately not making it, I am glad I am getting interviews at a lot of places this year. Let's hope I end up getting accepted in at least one of these programs though :D (Fingers crossed).