2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Is there a general consensus that international applicants tend to hear back/be offered interviews later than domestic applicants?
Beginning to get nervous that I haven't heard anything yet, though I did only apply to 3 schools.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone! :-D

Update: 

Thomas Jefferson University - PhD Immunology - Interview decisions haven't been made yet, expect 1-2 week wait

Penn State - PhD Immunology - interview invites are being sent out this morning

NYU Slacker - PhD Immunology - ALL Interview invites have been sent out

Edited by novicescientist
updating information

I wanted to add this to the information I have listed above ^^ but couldn't.

Update: UT-Southwestern - PhD Immunology (Biomedical Science Group) - The committee is still reviewing applications and will not announce their decisions until late January/early February

Have those of you with interviews heard back from your schools since accepting your interviews?

I received interview emails with directions on how to respond/accept the invite.  After about 24 hours or so, depending on the school, I responded saying that I am delighted to accept the offer to interview and that I am available on weekend x or y or whatever.  Unfortunately I never received a confirmation email or any sort of correspondence since then.  I know that it is unlikely that my email got lost or anything....but I really just want to have these interview weekends scheduled and planned so that I can stop worrying about them. 

Anyone else in the same boat?  Should I be worried?

7 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Have those of you with interviews heard back from your schools since accepting your interviews?

I received interview emails with directions on how to respond/accept the invite.  After about 24 hours or so, depending on the school, I responded saying that I am delighted to accept the offer to interview and that I am available on weekend x or y or whatever.  Unfortunately I never received a confirmation email or any sort of correspondence since then.  I know that it is unlikely that my email got lost or anything....but I really just want to have these interview weekends scheduled and planned so that I can stop worrying about them. 

Anyone else in the same boat?  Should I be worried?

I've been in contact with the three schools I have interviews with after I replied to them. Two contacted me back within the day, and another took about 2 days to email me back. If you responded to your emails in the past week or so I'd give it a couple more days before following up since most schools were closed towards the end of last week because of Christmas. 

3 hours ago, novicescientist said:

Update: 

Thomas Jefferson University - PhD Immunology - Interview decisions haven't been made yet, expect 1-2 week wait

Penn State - PhD Immunology - interview invites are being sent out this morning

NYU Slacker - PhD Immunology - ALL Interview invites have been sent out

Thanks Novicescientist!  Looks like we have a few overlapping institutions.  Does this apply to all NYU programs (i.e. molecular oncology & tumor immunology program and the inflammation and immunology program?).  I was going to call contact them today but will wait for your response.

Does anyone else have news about U. of Chicago (immunology or cancer biology) or UNC Chapel Hill BBSP (microbiology & immunology or cancer biology)?  I'm VERY happy with my current interview schedule but really want to find out about these three "dead" applications.

2 minutes ago, C5aC5b said:

Does anyone else have news about U. of Chicago (immunology or cancer biology) or UNC Chapel Hill BBSP (microbiology & immunology or cancer biology)?  I'm VERY happy with my current interview schedule but really want to find out about these three "dead" applications.

I don't know, but you can always search for them on the survey: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php  Hope this helps!

5 minutes ago, YouCantBcereus said:

I've been in contact with the three schools I have interviews with after I replied to them. Two contacted me back within the day, and another took about 2 days to email me back. If you responded to your emails in the past week or so I'd give it a couple more days before following up since most schools were closed towards the end of last week because of Christmas. 

Good Idea,

I think I responded to the schools on the 22nd and 23rd.  I am sure that they were gone for the holiday, but I still am nervous.  

Just now, C5aC5b said:

Thanks Novicescientist!  Looks like we have a few overlapping institutions.  Does this apply to all NYU programs (i.e. molecular oncology & tumor immunology program and the inflammation and immunology program?).  I was going to call contact them today but will wait for your response.

Hi, yes I think so. I called the slacker institute and they said that all interview invites have been sent. Btw, I wanted to apply to UofChicago bc I have been following Dr. Jabri's work for the last three years. I applied to 16 schools and afterwords I knew I forgot 1 of them and then after the deadline I remembered UofChicago. I hope you get an interview!! 

4 minutes ago, C5aC5b said:

I applied to UNC BBSP as well! From what I've seen in past threads, this one, and the survey they're not done with sending out interviews until the 2nd or 3rd week of january. But I'm dying to hear back from them as well, they're one of my top choices.

6 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Good Idea,

I think I responded to the schools on the 22nd and 23rd.  I am sure that they were gone for the holiday, but I still am nervous.  

Maybe they'll respond soon-ish?

I emailed one of the contacts at a school I'm interviewing at on the 23rd and their email automatically responded saying the office is on holiday until the 28th. So give it a bit of time?

9 minutes ago, C5aC5b said:

I got an interview invitation for UChicago about a week and a half ago for immunology track, but they might be sending out in waves. I think I saw some results for UNC BBSP in the survey, too. 

Just now, YouCantBcereus said:

I applied to UNC BBSP as well! From what I've seen in past threads, this one, and the survey they're not done with sending out interviews until the 2nd or 3rd week of january. But I'm dying to hear back from them as well, they're one of my top choices.

In regards to UVA - which progam are you applying for? I haven't heard UVA's decision and they aren't answering their phone. I applied to the Immunology program.

14 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Good Idea,

Seeing as they liked your application enough to interview you I'm sure they won't forget your email! I understand that you're nervous though, I would be too. Being patient with this is so difficult.

4 minutes ago, novicescientist said:

In regards to UVA - which progam are you applying for? I haven't heard UVA's decision and they aren't answering their phone. I applied to the Immunology program.

I applied to Microbiology (with Biodefense and Molecular Bio as alternative research disciplines). I think that BIMS has only sent out one wave of interviews so far on the 15th and 16th, so I'd expect more to come out soon!

6 minutes ago, novicescientist said:

Hi, yes I think so. I called the slacker institute and they said that all interview invites have been sent. Btw, I wanted to apply to UofChicago bc I have been following Dr. Jabri's work for the last three years. I applied to 16 schools and afterwords I knew I forgot 1 of them and then after the deadline I remembered UofChicago. I hope you get an interview!! 

OK thanks I'll ask them anyway to be sure.  Yeah UofChicago has several immuno faculty doing research on exactly what I want to do.  I had about 16 schools at first and narrowed them down to 7 due to financial reasons.  Looking back, I wish I applied to a few more but there's no point dwelling on that with interviews coming up : )  Good luck with the rest of your apps too.  I'll post any info if it helps out the community.

Just now, YouCantBcereus said:

Seeing as they liked your application enough to interview you I'm sure they won't forget your email! I understand that you're nervous though, I would be too. Being patient with this is so difficult.

I applied to Microbiology (with Biodefense and Molecular Bio as alternative research disciplines). I think that BIMS has only sent out one wave of interviews so far on the 15th and 16th, so I'd expect more to come out soon!

Thanks! that was my 2nd choice that I listed!!! 

24 minutes ago, C5aC5b said:

OK thanks I'll ask them anyway to be sure.  Yeah UofChicago has several immuno faculty doing research on exactly what I want to do.  I had about 16 schools at first and narrowed them down to 7 due to financial reasons.  Looking back, I wish I applied to a few more but there's no point dwelling on that with interviews coming up : )  Good luck with the rest of your apps too.  I'll post any info if it helps out the community.

I heard back from UChicago's Cancer Biology division two weeks ago. 

10 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I heard back from UChicago's Cancer Biology division two weeks ago. 

Thanks Bioenchilada --- I've been tracking the Chicago results in the survey but can't tell if all invites were sent out.  I'm assuming all of my unresponsive apps are rejections at this point based on historical trends.  I don't see any invites from Chicago immunology after Dec. 26th on the survey but this is an admittedly small sample number.

1 minute ago, C5aC5b said:

Thanks Bioenchilada --- I've been tracking the Chicago results in the survey but can't tell if all invites were sent out.  I'm assuming all of my unresponsive apps are rejections at this point based on historical trends.  I don't see any invites from Chicago immunology after Dec. 26th on the survey but this is an admittedly small sample number.

Awe, I'm sorry! :(

How many interviews do you have up to this day?