2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Just curious, has anyone gotten rejections for MIT Biology, Stanford Biosciences, UCSF BMS, UPenn CAMB, or Berkeley MCB? In other words, does the lack of an invitation to interview definitely mean a rejection? My parents (who are very removed from the world of science & phds) have told me that no news is good news, so I was curious if anyone has gotten accepted to these programs without interview or whether a second wave of interview invites would possibly come out after their first interview date. 

Also, anyone else mentally preparing to freeze to death going to UChicago on the 21st? :)

6 minutes ago, scilinny said:

Just curious, has anyone gotten rejections for MIT Biology, Stanford Biosciences, UCSF BMS, UPenn CAMB, or Berkeley MCB? In other words, does the lack of an invitation to interview definitely mean a rejection? My parents (who are very removed from the world of science & phds) have told me that no news is good news, so I was curious if anyone has gotten accepted to these programs without interview or whether a second wave of interview invites would possibly come out after their first interview date. 

Also, anyone else mentally preparing to freeze to death going to UChicago on the 21st? :)

Why don't you just call them?

11 minutes ago, scilinny said:

In other words, does the lack of an invitation to interview definitely mean a rejection? 

I would call or email them. Though I should heed my own advice since I'm currently too chicken to call WashU for the same reason. 

4 minutes ago, scilinny said:

Haha, I guess because I don't want to nag them! But maybe I should? 

If you haven't called once, why are you a nagger? Ask yourself if you are prepared for a rejection. That is the worst thing that can happen. Just call!

28 minutes ago, scilinny said:

Have you checked the survey page? http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

You can also see results from previous years to get an idea of when you'll hear back. For example, it looks like MIT Biology rejections usually follow the invites a week later. 

27 minutes ago, scilinny said:

They can't really send final decisions until everyone is interviewed, so not receiving an invite is basically a rejection. Also, I'm going to UChicago in February, which might be even colder :'(

5 minutes ago, aichan93 said:

UCSF BMS has sent out all their invites[I emailed], i think so too for stanford, but you might wanna check with them.

I emailed both of them and UCSF told me so. But, Stanford told me that they are still working on apps and going to complete their interview invitation sometime this week, so it's not the dead end. 

8 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

They can't really send final decisions until everyone is interviewed, so not receiving an invite is basically a rejection. Also, I'm going to UChicago in February, which might be even colder :'(

Why can't they send final decisions until everyone is interviewed? 

33 minutes ago, Yav Friendly said:

Why don't you just call them?

29 minutes ago, scilinny said:

Haha, I guess because I don't want to nag them! But maybe I should? 

27 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

I would call or email them. Though I should heed my own advice since I'm currently too chicken to call WashU for the same reason. 

24 minutes ago, Yav Friendly said:

If you haven't called once, why are you a nagger? Ask yourself if you are prepared for a rejection. That is the worst thing that can happen. Just call!

Guys... We've been over this. Schools have a schedule they send out these things, and the poor admins that are in charge of scheduling/calling/emailing have whole programs to run in addition to that. You shouldn't call them unless you have a problem with your application (like a letter writer is going to be late or you have materials missing). Calling them to nag about your application is not only rude, but it also can cause them to put negative marks on your application. The admins keep track of who calls, etc. Be patient. It will either happen or it won't. Calling will likely NOT get you the information you desire as they are only given the information on a need to know basis.

Edited by biotechie
Clarification

Has anyone gotten an official interview offer from Standford biology? I know most of the other departments sent out offers last Friday but there isn't anything from biology department in the survey except for a post about receiving an email from a POI.

Does anyone know if invites have gone out for Tri-institutional Computational Biology & Medicine PhD program? Survey search shows two interview invites (although one says F15, it was posted on Dec 23) and a rejection? I'm an international applicant and just wondering if I'm the only one left waiting

37 minutes ago, scilinny said:

Why can't they send final decisions until everyone is interviewed? 

It's just protocol. Of course, schools that have some form of online application status might tell you earlier. However, typically, schools mail rejections and acceptances at the same time, just like during undergrad.

40 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Geez. And I thought 20 degrees this morning in STL was cold. 

Well its -7 with the windchill. So it's actually much worse. Still not nearly as bad as it can get though. February is warmer than January though. Although any day can be super freezing. 

WUSTL DBBS interview the day after. SOO nervous. Plus the weather there is not exactly welcoming.

Nonetheless, onto sartorial questions - I'm beginning packing now, so I needed some specific information for specific days:

1) The first evening, i.e., tomorrow, is just dinner. Will khaki's and a formal button down shirt, with a suede jacket and boots do? Are jeans and henleys ok, for the first dinner evening or the last day when students will show us about town?

2) I have a lovely suit for the interview day, and since I dont want to seem overdressed, should I even wear the suit/blazer, or just keep it down to a pant, shirt and tie?

Thanks peeps. 

Edited by Microburritology

2 hours ago, scilinny said:

DO NOT CALL.  Again, this is unnecessary and inappropriate.  Please stop doing this to program admins.  Assume a rejection if that is the information you need to hear and you will only be pleasantly surprised.  Anything can happen and invites do go out later.  To some extent it is true that "no news is good news" but knowing that interviews are starting for many programs and ongoing means that it may be more like "no new is ok news but not great news".  I would suggest right now focusing on any and all interviews you have.  Not contacting schools that have not contacted you at this point and simply waiting to hear results and prepare for interviews and spend your other time focusing on school if you are still in undergrad or your job if you are working.  enjoy life for the moment.

15 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

WUSTL DBBS interview the day after. SOO nervous. Plus the weather there is not exactly welcoming.

Nonetheless, onto sartorial questions - I'm beginning packing now, so I needed some specific information for specific days:

1) The first evening, i.e., tomorrow, is just dinner. Will khaki's and a formal button down shirt, with a suede jacket and boots do? Are jeans and henleys ok, for the first dinner evening or the last day when students will show us about town?

2) I have a lovely suit for the interview day, and since I dont want to seem overdressed, should I even wear the suit/blazer, or just keep it down to a pant, shirt and tie?

Thanks peeps. 

1.  I would go khakis and a button down shirt.  I don't even know if you need the suede jacket but if you like the way it brings the outfit together, go for it!  I would always assume no jeans for any part of the interview.  The only times I wore jeans for interviews was during my travel days and when I went to any official event I changed from those.  If you are simply getting picked up by grad students to go to the airport and that is it, feel free to wear jeans.  Other than that I always avoided them.  If you feel that jeans are ok for the "showing you about town" that should be fine, by then you'll have an idea of the feel of the situation, or you can casually ask your grad student buddy if you can wear jeans on that day. 

2.  I am a woman and I did a pant suit for interview day.  I wore my pants, heels, tucked in button down/blouse and had my suit coat with me.  You can always take the coat off when sitting in the interview and rather easily take it off when you are taking a regular coat off if its cold enough.  I don't think it super matters but no one will care if you have the coat on so why not?  If anyone gives shade for a suit/suit coat that is speaking more about their insecurity in the situation than you.  I've never heard once someone say: "oh they were a great applicant but really wearing the suit and trying to look nice, i mean come on...why do we want someone that tries so hard?  Reject."  Whereas the opposite is true "Did you see so and so was wearing jeans on interview day?  Not a good look for an applicant".  Basically, don't worry about over dressing.  It is always better to err on the side of over dress than under dress...ALWAYS.  Also you will have someone else in your interview group that is wearing a suit/suit and blazer...its not that uncommon that you'll stick out.

Best of luck on your upcoming interview!!  Have fun!

18 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

Thanks peeps. 

1) You're probably fine with khakis and a button down or dark jeans and the button down. I wouldn't wear the henley (we're talking Dexter-tight henley?) for a first impression. It's probably fine for the last day. 

2) Either option should be fine. Whichever makes you feel more comfortable. You can always take off the jacket. In my opinion, better to be overdressed than underdressed--it shows that you're taking this opportunity seriously. 

Good luck with your interview! Have fun!

29 minutes ago, Gram Neutral said:

Well its -7 with the windchill. So it's actually much worse. Still not nearly as bad as it can get though. February is warmer than January though. Although any day can be super freezing. 

In Iowa yesterday it was -20 with windchill.  If anyone is interviewing in the Midwest, a scarf, hat, and gloves are a MUST.  Also shoes that can walk on ice and snow would be a good idea, as it can get icy here and no one wants to fall on their butt.  I would say Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin can get this cold.  More south you'll get more ice, but not the polar vortex.  (Can anyone guess why I didn't apply to Iowa State or UofIowa? :P)

10 minutes ago, miky said:

1) You're probably fine with khakis and a button down or dark jeans and the button down. I wouldn't wear the henley (we're talking Dexter-tight henley?) for a first impression. It's probably fine for the last day. 

2) Either option should be fine. Whichever makes you feel more comfortable. You can always take off the jacket. In my opinion, better to be overdressed than underdressed--it shows that you're taking this opportunity seriously. 

Good luck with your interview! Have fun!

@miky LOLOL I actually shop PRECISELY for dexter's henleys. Indeed better to be overdressed, but I was just overthinking that maybe all the guys show up in shirt pant and no tie and i'm the clown dressed up in a suit. But good to hear suits are common.

Yeah i'll need to consult with my grad student buddy to see what he's wearing and what would be appropriate for the last day. Thanks!

Edited by Microburritology

2 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

@miky LOLOL I actually shop PRECISELY for dexter's henleys. Yeah i'll need to consult with my grad student buddy to see what he's wearing and what would be appropriate for the last day. Thanks!

If it helps, I'm going to wear a knit jacket (one that looks like it's sort of leather-y) with a knit shirt that has a little scarf attached.  Then black knit pants (soooo comfortable) that look like trousers but not so fancy with my grey strappy boots (like combat boot type things).  Women's clothes are hard to describe and sorry if this makes no sense.