2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

2 hours ago, Earl said:

I'm committed to doing 7 interview weekends in a row as well, plus 1 Skype.  It's a lot, but I'm excited about traveling to all those places and learning more about the schools/programs.  I'll be exhausted probably by the end, but I feel it's worth it given all the work it's taken to get to this point.

Beyond that, I have another school that if I decide to interview at I'd have to do the back-to-back interview thing in a week (as you described), which I'm not sure I want to do.  I'd have a long flight to get from one school to the other, and then once I land, I would have to go straight to the other school.  I might be a zombie at that point, so I am thinking about asking for Skype if possible.  If not, I think I'll have to cancel it.

1 hour ago, Bourbaki said:

I also see it as a great opportunity to meet with PIs working in the specific field you're interested in. You can get some sense of the direction that things are going in, what kinds of approaches/projects people are working on next and most excited about. The PIs probably won't remember us, but it's nice to have a face and even a short conversation to match up to authors of some of the papers you'll read in the future.

Thank you both for the advice! I completely agree that this is a great opportunity to meet with people. I've talked to some graduate students that I know and they told me that the program they ended up at wasn't their top choice until they visited.

As for the back to back interviews in one week, the second interview is at my home institution, which I bet will be a lot easier than if I had to travel to two different places and then fly home. 

So I emailed both UNC and Emory yesterday ( I know, I know.. I'm impatient :rolleyes:) and I got replies this morning,

UNC is about 3/4 of the way done with reviewing apps. There are still interview offers to be sent and they will most likely be done no later than the end of next week. They don't have a final decision for me yet so fingers crossed!!

Emory's MMG sent out several rejections yesterday and I was told I wasn't among them. About an hour later I got an email that I was waitlisted. I'm not surprised, and I'm glad I know now.

Good luck to everyone leaving for interviews today, you'll do great!!

3 minutes ago, laxgoal100 said:

That makes me nervous cause I applied there too! But congrats. I wonder if all the invitations are going out today... was the cal from a POI or admin?

Good luck! I got a call from a POI, and she said I'd get a followup email with travel details later today. I'm not sure if they're sending out all the invites today or not, but hopefully you'll hear from them soon! I was told the main interview weekends are Feb 12th and Feb 19th.

3 hours ago, bdnf_13.1 said:

MIT Biology is sending out official rejections now

Finally. Got it and happy. Still have MIT BSC anyway.

1 hour ago, SpartanNerd1021 said:

I also got an MIT official rejection. Not too disappointed since it was a reach school for me. Looking forward to my other interviews and hearing back from other schools!

It's really hard to call anything a reach school especially based on looking at people's stats and invites here. But, on the bright side, you get to concentrate on your other schools now!

41 minutes ago, YouCantBcereus said:

Good luck! I got a call from a POI, and she said I'd get a followup email with travel details later today. I'm not sure if they're sending out all the invites today or not, but hopefully you'll hear from them soon! I was told the main interview weekends are Feb 12th and Feb 19th.

Did you apply to MCDB through PIBS?

Is anyone interviewing for Weill Cornell PBSB on Jan 20-22? I just got the detailed schedule of events and I noticed that on Thursday we're doing things from 7:45am to midnight, including attending talks, getting tours, and some of our interviews with faculty. :)The evening consists of fun activities with the grad students. My question is, what would you wear for this? I have a nice dress and blazer I was going to wear with tights and boots for the interview but there's so many activities all day I wonder if I should bring clothes to change out of for after interviews? 

8 minutes ago, laxgoal100 said:

Did you apply to MCDB through PIBS?

Not exactly. I originally applied to PIBS and got rejected back in december. But a faculty member from MCDB who was on the adcom really liked my application and asked if I wanted to transfer my application to the MCDB program, so that's what I did.

Just now, YouCantBcereus said:

Not exactly. I originally applied to PIBS and got rejected back in december. But a faculty member from MCDB who was on the adcom really liked my application and asked if I wanted to transfer my application to the MCDB program, so that's what I did.

ah, I see. Nice!

42 minutes ago, jordy_protein said:

Is anyone interviewing for Weill Cornell PBSB on Jan 20-22? I just got the detailed schedule of events and I noticed that on Thursday we're doing things from 7:45am to midnight, including attending talks, getting tours, and some of our interviews with faculty. :)The evening consists of fun activities with the grad students. My question is, what would you wear for this? I have a nice dress and blazer I was going to wear with tights and boots for the interview but there's so many activities all day I wonder if I should bring clothes to change out of for after interviews? 

I am (neuro though) Yeah I saw that - til midnight OY (I live in Brooklyn so will be commuting back home afterwards, a train ride that'll take me an hour at that time...so might have to skip out on Ph.D: The movie...). I was planning on wearing nice pants and blazer type thing for the actual interview day, including heels so I'm probably going to bring a change of clothes (like dark pants and boots with my collared shirt) to change into after the interviews and faculty parts are done so I'm not in bizness wear all night during "fun activities". 

45 minutes ago, brainsandeggs said:

I am (neuro though) Yeah I saw that - til midnight OY (I live in Brooklyn so will be commuting back home afterwards, a train ride that'll take me an hour at that time...so might have to skip out on Ph.D: The movie...). I was planning on wearing nice pants and blazer type thing for the actual interview day, including heels so I'm probably going to bring a change of clothes (like dark pants and boots with my collared shirt) to change into after the interviews and faculty parts are done so I'm not in bizness wear all night during "fun activities". 

Thanks for your response! I'm thinking of doing the same, at the least changing into flat shoes instead of heels for the evening activities 

3 hours ago, YouCantBcereus said:

Emory's MMG sent out several rejections yesterday and I was told I wasn't among them. About an hour later I got an email that I was waitlisted. I'm not surprised, and I'm glad I know now.

Was the email you received about being wait-listed an "official email" or sent in response to your inquiry? 

I also applied to Emory and haven't heard anything official. I emailed early last week and received : "All of our programs are in the process of finalizing their interview invitations. Most programs keep a healthy wait list that they can go back to if they need to, which is not uncommon."

Though I assume I have been wait-listed, I am wondering if I should expect a formal notice of it.

Good luck! 

Just now, Torbjornen said:

Was the email you received about being wait-listed an "official email" or sent in response to your inquiry? 

I also applied to Emory and haven't heard anything official. I emailed early last week and received : "All of our programs are in the process of finalizing their interview invitations. Most programs keep a healthy wait list that they can go back to if they need to, which is not uncommon."

Though I assume I have been wait-listed, I am wondering if I should expect a formal notice of it.

Good luck! 

I received a separate email that I was officially waitlisted about an hour after I received a response to my inquiry. Did you apply to MMG or IMP? If so I think you probably got wait listed and should receive an email today or tomorrow about it. Good luck to you as well!

My inquiry response email said "The programs are in the process of finalizing their plans for the interview visits.  They also keep a healthy wait list, and it is not unusual for them to return to it as applicants make decisions. Yesterday I processed a lot of emails to applicants who applied to IMP and MMG notifying them that the program was no longer able to consider their application, and you were not among them.  The program will likely be in touch in the near future to give you a status update."

Then my official waitlisted email said "We were very pleased to receive your application to the Microbiology and Molecular Genetics program at Emory University.  We have a limited number of students we can admit for fall 2016. Therefore, we have a limited number of recruits we can bring for our first round of interviews.  However, we are extremely interested in your application and potential in our program.  You are currently on our waitlisted group of applicants, and we hope you’ll continue to consider Emory as an option for your graduate work.  We will be in touch as changes develop, particularly if we are able to extend an invitation to interview in the future."

36 minutes ago, YouCantBcereus said:

I received a separate email that I was officially waitlisted about an hour after I received a response to my inquiry. Did you apply to MMG or IMP? If so I think you probably got wait listed and should receive an email today or tomorrow about it. Good luck to you as well!

My inquiry response email said "The programs are in the process of finalizing their plans for the interview visits.  They also keep a healthy wait list, and it is not unusual for them to return to it as applicants make decisions. Yesterday I processed a lot of emails to applicants who applied to IMP and MMG notifying them that the program was no longer able to consider their application, and you were not among them.  The program will likely be in touch in the near future to give you a status update."

Then my official waitlisted email said "We were very pleased to receive your application to the Microbiology and Molecular Genetics program at Emory University.  We have a limited number of students we can admit for fall 2016. Therefore, we have a limited number of recruits we can bring for our first round of interviews.  However, we are extremely interested in your application and potential in our program.  You are currently on our waitlisted group of applicants, and we hope you’ll continue to consider Emory as an option for your graduate work.  We will be in touch as changes develop, particularly if we are able to extend an invitation to interview in the future."

Thanks for your response. Very informative. 

I applied to IMP, so a little different, but probably not drastically. I would think they follow similar protocols. 

Hi,

I contacted Weil Cornell Graduate School BCMB Program for the application update but they told me that the applications are still in review. But some people have got their invites, anyone please explain the situation?

Thanks