2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

23 minutes ago, double_helix said:

I got a short email about an hour ago saying I got an interview for UCSF Tetrad for February 25th, but more details would come in January. I'm not sure if they are running behind or what, the email came at 7pm PT and they spelled my name wrong...but I'll take it! I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't heard yet!

Thanks for the update and congrats on the Tetrad invite!

I am assuming that it's as you say and that they are likely behind schedule due to the overwhelming  number of applicants. So I won't be surprised if ppl start getting emails over Saturday (which is actually common for many schools such as UCSD and UCLA). 

51 minutes ago, double_helix said:

I got a short email about an hour ago saying I got an interview for UCSF Tetrad for February 25th, but more details would come in January. I'm not sure if they are running behind or what, the email came at 7pm PT and they spelled my name wrong...but I'll take it! I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't heard yet!

Congrats on Tetrad! And thanks for the info!

And now there are people posting in the results survey about Stanford Biosciences invites... I thought those were supposed to come after January 4th.

EDIT: I found this in an email: "During the week of January 4, 2016, the committees will start to contact applicants who have been selected for an interview."  All hope is not lost! :D

Edited by biochemgirl67

1 hour ago, StemCellBio said:

Congratulations! It's an amazing program, I work with a couple people in that are currently in it. I applied to BMCDB, and the MCIP program, but haven't heard anything. The MCIP program doesn't close until 1/5/16 so I'm not worried yet but I'm starting to lose hope for BMCDB. 

Thank you! I'm very excited. And I saw some people post pretty recently about BMCDB so I wouldn't totally give up hope!

1 hour ago, immuno91 said:

For those waiting for Harvard BPH, I spoke with the coordinator today. Invitations are likely going out before the holiday (early next week), but potentially won't be out until mid-January. I was also told that the interview is scheduled for February 8-9.

I got an invite from Harvard BPH today and can confirm these interview dates. 

34 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

And now there are people posting in the results survey about Stanford Biosciences invites... I thought those were supposed to come after January 4th.

EDIT: I found this in an email: "During the week of January 4, 2016, the committees will start to contact applicants who have been selected for an interview."  All hope is not lost! :D

In the email invite from Stanford they say: 

Please note the 14 Ph.D. admissions committees all operate on their own timelines, so your friends and coworkers may or may not have heard from a Stanford Program yet. Please understand that "no news does not mean bad news", as some Programs may complete their admission process in early January. Please keep this in mind when sharing your good news with others.

13 minutes ago, pcc2129 said:

I got an invite from Harvard BPH today and can confirm these interview dates. 

In the email invite from Stanford they say: 

Please note the 14 Ph.D. admissions committees all operate on their own timelines, so your friends and coworkers may or may not have heard from a Stanford Program yet. Please understand that "no news does not mean bad news", as some Programs may complete their admission process in early January. Please keep this in mind when sharing your good news with others.

That's reassuring.  I guess the immunology track (not Microbiology & Immunology) releases in January.  I don't see it on the results forum but still makes me nervous.  I actually appreciate their candid information.

6 hours ago, partydon'tstarttillIwalkin said:

Did any international student hear from anywhere? I thought interview invites were sent out around the similar timings with those for domestic students, but getting none so far makes me more and more anxious! ugh

Congrats to all those who got invites! 

Hey. I'm an international student in a kinda similar situation to yours. I have gotten one interview invite by skype from the University of Virginia but it's all been radio silence apart from that so I wouldn't worry too much. Are you an international living in the States or in a different country?

2 hours ago, double_helix said:

Thanks for the info. I'm not really expecting to get in there, but good to know there may still be a chance!

Wow - Do the two posts for Stanford's Microbiology and Immunology effectively from today effectively mean that all hope for lost if you applied to that home program? I'm interpreting the "no news is not bad news" blurb to mean "Other home programs will send emails later, but we're done", but it could be open to interpretation.

Anyone know how often Stanford accepts people to their "2nd and 3rd choice" home programs? Would I stand a chance at being accepted to either of those?

This is really freaking me out, has Stanford ever sent out emails in December before? If anyone who got one of those emails could maybe shed some light that would be nice too... :)

Edited by risk_unfold
added clarification

24 minutes ago, risk_unfold said:

Wow - Do the two posts for Stanford's Microbiology and Immunology effectively from today effectively mean that all hope for lost if you applied to that home program? I'm interpreting the "no news is not bad news" blurb to mean "Other home programs will send emails later, but we're done", but it could be open to interpretation.

Anyone know how often Stanford accepts people to their "2nd and 3rd choice" home programs? Would I stand a chance at being accepted to either of those?

This is really freaking me out, has Stanford ever sent out emails in December before? If anyone who got one of those emails could maybe shed some light that would be nice too... :)

I can't answer your questions beyond what was written above.  It does seem like that home program did send out some invites, at least, and I don't know if more are forthcoming.  But their office is now closed until the date when they said the January invites will come out.  One person who got an invite responded to me above (I think they got one) and they copied and pasted Stanford's schpeel about "no news =/= bad news."  I've decided to remain hopeful and then get the results, whatever they may be, in January.  Especially since there's no one to definitively answer any questions.

24 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I can't answer your questions beyond what was written above.  It does seem like that home program did send out some invites, at least, and I don't know if more are forthcoming.  But their office is now closed until the date when they said the January invites will come out.  One person who got an invite responded to me above (I think they got one) and they copied and pasted Stanford's schpeel about "no news =/= bad news."  I've decided to remain hopeful and then get the results, whatever they may be, in January.  Especially since there's no one to definitively answer any questions.

I'm extremely confident that Stanford Immunology has not come out yet and that it will only start rolling out after Jan 4 -- the other home program was just odd timing especially given that they even indicated that in the e-mail. Take a few weeks to relax, which you deserve.

@Omarou498 I'm an international student, studied in the States for college and now live overseas. Guess I need to find ways to distract myself from obsessively refreshing this forum website and my email inbox, since I can't fall asleep until midnight in US time these days. haha... 

1 hour ago, partydon'tstarttillIwalkin said:

@Omarou498 I'm an international student, studied in the States for college and now live overseas. Guess I need to find ways to distract myself from obsessively refreshing this forum website and my email inbox, since I can't fall asleep until midnight in US time these days. haha... 

Same....that's almost the first thing I do when I wake up :P 

Hi guys, 

anyone know if all UCSD BMS interviews are sent out? Really appreciate your help.. Any idea about Duke UPGG and UNC chapel hill BBSP??

happy weekend folks !!

Edited by pm666

Undergrad Institution: Foreign Institute
Major(s): Finance
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA: 2.8
Position in Class:
Type of Student: International, female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 145
V: 141
W: 2.2
B:

I know it's bad but it was my first time taking a standard test ever! Retaking it on the 28th, late but will try.

TOEFL Total: IELTS 7

Research Experience: At school and work but no publications whatsoever

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Interned during the summer for 3 years, worked for a year through a graduate professional development provided by a bank, Volunteer work since 2008

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: overall strong application other than the GRE & GPA

Applying to Where:

UC Berkeley, Master's in Development Practice (I really want to get in but I'm being unrealistic with a low GPA and a low GRE)

University of San Francisco (Master's in Non-profit Administration) - Does not require a GRE score.

Boston University (Master's in Global Development Policy)

51 minutes ago, Dalal said:

Undergrad Institution: Foreign Institute
Major(s): Finance
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA: 2.8
Position in Class:
Type of Student: International, female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 145
V: 141
W: 2.2
B:

I know it's bad but it was my first time taking a standard test ever! Retaking it on the 28th, late but will try.

TOEFL Total: IELTS 7

Research Experience: At school and work but no publications whatsoever

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Interned during the summer for 3 years, worked for a year through a graduate professional development provided by a bank, Volunteer work since 2008

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: overall strong application other than the GRE & GPA

Applying to Where:

UC Berkeley, Master's in Development Practice (I really want to get in but I'm being unrealistic with a low GPA and a low GRE)

University of San Francisco (Master's in Non-profit Administration) - Does not require a GRE score.

Boston University (Master's in Global Development Policy)

This thread is for bio programs, btw. You'll probably have better luck in one of the other subforums 

7 hours ago, breaker746 said:

I'm extremely confident that Stanford Immunology has not come out yet and that it will only start rolling out after Jan 4 -- the other home program was just odd timing especially given that they even indicated that in the e-mail. Take a few weeks to relax, which you deserve.

I'm sure too.  (And even if it weren't true, I was going to hold onto January 4th regardless.) I just wanted the other person to hear a perspective of a person who freaked out then decided not to.

12 minutes ago, Earl said:

for those who've gotten multiple interviews (like 5-6+), are you planning to go to all of them?  schedule looks so crazy.

I am.  But I am really worried about missing a ton of school....

2 minutes ago, biosci said:

I am.  But I am really worried about missing a ton of school....

Your professors will understand. And in the long run what's more important? Your last semester/quarter grades or the next 4-6 years of your life? At least that's how I'm gonna look at it. 

15 minutes ago, AstronautSteve said:

So is all hope lost for Harvard BBS? I tried to contact an admin but had no luck. Think all invites have been sent out?

Hey Steve that's my working theory based on other posts in this thread. Plus a fair few results came out on the boards for BBS.

Im in same boat btw.

Edited by Jmoney$$