Second Year Students Fall 2015 How's It Going

Threeboysmom

Well we made it through first year.  After this year I still have two years left since I'm attending part time.  Some of you are getting ready for your thesis etc.  Let's keep each other encouraged this year with our progress.  This board has been very helpful to me throughout my preparation studying for the GRE, application, first year and now beginning the second year.  

Currently, I'm going through my home purging and getting the office ready for the upcoming semester.  I have ordered a few books and I need to get a jump start on my reading.  How are you all doing? Wishing each of you the best as you continue your journey. 

I still have another three weeks left of my summer practicum.  Then I have two weeks off before the Fall Semester starts.  This fall will be nice, as I only have to commute two days a week.  They are both very full days of class, but I have a day off between them.

I've also just started thinking about PhD applications!  I'm going to have to start asking for reference letters for the PhD programs soon.  I have to start working on my SoP as well, which will be interesting, as a PhD SoP is quite different from one for a professional master's.

I still have another three weeks left of my summer practicum.  Then I have two weeks off before the Fall Semester starts.  This fall will be nice, as I only have to commute two days a week.  They are both very full days of class, but I have a day off between them.

I've also just started thinking about PhD applications!  I'm going to have to start asking for reference letters for the PhD programs soon.  I have to start working on my SoP as well, which will be interesting, as a PhD SoP is quite different from one for a professional master's.

Awesome,  I have one more week after today with my summer practicum and then 3 weeks before fall as well.  Good luck for with your SoP for your PhD program.  I've started thinking about it.  I'm not sure I want to make the time commitment yet.  

Congrats on finishing your first year, Threeboysmom and RunnerGrad!

I finished all my coursework and moved to Berkeley to be with my partner. During the next academic year, I'll be holding a policy fellowship at McGill and a partner institution in India, auditing classes at UC Berkeley, and co-organizing a conference. I suppose I'll be applying to a slew of fellowships for the following year since I've decided to take  a year off before applying to PhD programs. And oh, I am also supposed to do some fieldwork and write my MA thesis. Yikes!

I still have another ... five years ....  God, that's intimidating to think about.   

First year went well, have five publications under review, so we'll see whether or not I can keep it up this coming year I guess.  I'm doubling the number of projects I'll be working on, at any rate.

Good luck to everyone thesis-ing or thinking about PhD apps!  Keep us posted. :)

I too have another 5 years. Just secured a great apartment for the coming 12 months so feeling excited to get back to town after a summer of fieldwork and visiting family abroad :)

I'm taking a language next year which means I have class 4 days per week (boo) but also allows me to only pick the two most interesting courses from my own department per term (yay). I'll be on the department's grad student board and the university-wide student health board for 2015-16, which should be interesting in terms of understanding how US educational institutions work from the inside. I'm presenting at my discipline's major conference in December too. The main goal this year is to get more of a balance between the different aspects of being a grad student, rather than being too hung up on coursework.

I just finished up my first year of an MA/PhD and successfully got my MA (just need to file for it). I'm applying for two summer scholarships for next summer and for 5 conferences for this coming year, with the hope of getting into one. Other than that, I'm just focused on coursework and my new job. I can't wait for the semester to start and yet, I'd also like a few more weeks to Netflix and stare at the books I promised myself I would read.

Congrats on finishing your first year, Threeboysmom and RunnerGrad!

I finished all my coursework and moved to Berkeley to be with my partner. During the next academic year, I'll be holding a policy fellowship at McGill and a partner institution in India, auditing classes at UC Berkeley, and co-organizing a conference. I suppose I'll be applying to a slew of fellowships for the following year since I've decided to take  a year off before applying to PhD programs. And oh, I am also supposed to do some fieldwork and write my MA thesis. Yikes!

This sounds awesome!  Way to go and good luck with your thesis. 

I still have another ... five years ....  God, that's intimidating to think about.   

First year went well, have five publications under review, so we'll see whether or not I can keep it up this coming year I guess.  I'm doubling the number of projects I'll be working on, at any rate.

Good luck to everyone thesis-ing or thinking about PhD apps!  Keep us posted. :)

Yes, when you think about the time it can feel overwhelming but slow and steady wins the race.  Five publications congratulations!! Sounds like this next year will be busy for you as well.  Best of luck to you.  

I too have another 5 years. Just secured a great apartment for the coming 12 months so feeling excited to get back to town after a summer of fieldwork and visiting family abroad :)

I'm taking a language next year which means I have class 4 days per week (boo) but also allows me to only pick the two most interesting courses from my own department per term (yay). I'll be on the department's grad student board and the university-wide student health board for 2015-16, which should be interesting in terms of understanding how US educational institutions work from the inside. I'm presenting at my discipline's major conference in December too. The main goal this year is to get more of a balance between the different aspects of being a grad student, rather than being too hung up on coursework.

Congrats on the new apartment.  Good luck presenting at your conference this year.  Please keep us posted on how things go.  Good luck with your goal to balance all the aspects of grad life.  If you come up with a solution please share.  I feel that the time my head is not buried in a book, or writing a paper I'm cooking/cleaning for my family.  Not much fun but considering the circumstances I won't complain. 

I just finished up my first year of an MA/PhD and successfully got my MA (just need to file for it). I'm applying for two summer scholarships for next summer and for 5 conferences for this coming year, with the hope of getting into one. Other than that, I'm just focused on coursework and my new job. I can't wait for the semester to start and yet, I'd also like a few more weeks to Netflix and stare at the books I promised myself I would read.

I hope you get into a conference. I can so relate to wanting to watch Netflix or read a book for pleasure.  I'm making the most of the two weeks I have left. 

I'm taking this week "off" (having a staycation, what have you) to gear up for uclasses beginning again next week. I'm hanging out with the cats, knitting, getting a head start on thesis-related reading, watching netflix, and napping.

Napping, Knitting and Netflix sounds awesome. I have so many things to do but I get overwhelmed and end up taking a nap.

I'm in the process of switching labs (joy). Classes start up in two weeks and so does teaching... Trying my best to mentally prepare. Also starting to mentally prepare for grant writing.

It's nice to read everyone's updates!  I'm finished my summer practicum, now I just need to create a poster presentation for our research day about my practicum experience, and then I can just relax until September 14th, when classes start!

Starting to think about SoPs for PhD applications.  Hoping my MPH with major research project will be acceptable - most PhD programs in my field in Canada want an MSc with thesis.  I don't want to do a second master's degree, so if my MPH isn't good enough, well, then I'll just enter the workforce as an RD and see where that takes me.  I do love research, though.

I was sadly a bit lazier than intended this summer. Didn't finish a book review I planned to submit, so I'll go into PhD application season without a publication of any sort. I'm working on my thesis proposal now (just polishing for my IRB submissions), and hope to be able to have that mostly knocked out before I teach my first class of the semester next week.

Not taking any classes this next quarter, woohoo! So much has happened this past year!

- Switched from an MS track to an MS/PhD track (something I never had the guts to do before); my advisor retired, so I joined a new lab; learned lots and lots of new things since my undergrad degree was in a different (yet related) field; ended an 8 year relationship; learned many new machines and techniques, even authorized to use a few; passed my comprehensive exams and now have an MS; moving into grad student housing; I have one paper under review, 2 more being typed up, and I'm almost ready to write my first first-author paper.

I'm also much more confident in my ability to read and analyze papers, to synthesize new particles and to learn other techniques, to ask questions. I've even started teaching people how to use machines.

I've grown so much in the past year, and I hope to grow more this year. I still haven't experienced the "I hate my life and want to quit" feelings that, I think, inevitably many students feel during their time... this year might be when I really start to push my limits. Summer has been pretty relaxed, and it's been good to recharge before the school year, since I'm expecting to come up against struggles.

I realised today that I'm really excited to get back to classes and spend time in the library. Another month left until classes kick off but got a few side-projects (internship and other exams not related to coursework) that I'm undertaking to keep me busy. 

The first year went well, 4 A's and a Pass (0 credit course). Looking forward to the start of the fall term, as it should be an easy one. I had taken a professional training class in one of the technologies used for the Info Viz class I am registered for -- same instructor too, that should be interesting. I am also getting excited for the upcoming spring - my previously intended concentration will now be an official concentration.  

I am also excited for my daughter, she didn't get into any of the grad programs she had applied to at other schools, but was asked to apply for an expedited late admission to a new program at RU that she hadn't previously considered. She should find out later this week. Either way, I know that she will be coming to a few of the seminars that I need to attend, as they overlap with her interests.  

I also need to clean up my home work area - there is a bunch of junk piled on top of my desk right now, mostly papers that need to find a place in a filing cabinet. Of course that means I need to actually get a filing cabinet over the weekend.

My practicum portfolio was approved, so I've a "pass" grade for my summer practicum.  One step closer to being a registered dietitian!

Also realized I have to get working on CIHR applications.  The internal due dates are early this year for a few universities.  Need to see how many reference letters, etc. I need as part of the application.

• 1 month later...

I'm well! Things are so busy though...I can't wait for the end of October. By then, two publications and a fellowship applications should both be submitted, and Thanksgiving will be right around the corner!

Happy that I have a long weekend (it's Canadian Thanksgiving).

Unfortunately for me, it seems that I'm not fully recovered from my concussion. :(  I was doing so well with my practicum this summer, we were hopeful.  Unfortunately, it seems like the kind of mental concentration and heavy reading and computer work required by graduate school has caused my concussion symptoms to flare again. :(  Fortunately, my program is very understanding, and I have accommodations through Accessibility services.  It definitely makes things challenging, though, as I can only work in short chunks of time before I need a break.  And I have a headache at the end of the two days I have class, since those are solid days (class from 9 to 4 or 10 to 5, with only an hour break for lunch on both days).

Also struggling to get a couple of papers published.  Been rejected pre-review from the first two journals we submitted to.  Trying to find other journals we can submit to that don't charge open access fees.