Second Year Students Fall 2015 How's It Going

Threeboysmom

Won a prize in my discipline outside of the university, which is the first external validation I've had since joining this discipline for my PhD. Kind of bowled over and oh so happy! Starting to prepare for the national conference in December where the prize will be awarded, and where I'm presenting the same paper. Coursework is chugging fine, although it's frustrating having to fulfil certain requirements which stop me being able to take the most relevant courses to my dissertation, at times.

I'm really worried about learning two languages from scratch, neither of which use the Latin alphabet, and passing reading exams in both by the end of next year. The reality of how intense and stuctured this program will continue to be into year 3 and 4 is starting to hit home.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm well! Things are so busy though...I can't wait for the end of October. By then, two publications and a fellowship applications should both be submitted, and Thanksgiving will be right around the corner!

This is great!  Congratulations!

Just attended a conference where I presented a paper as first author! 

Now back to my reality of courses, TA-ing, research, and (a new thing for me) undergrad research mentoring.

Good job presenting at a conference.  I attended my first professional conference in March, It was so overwhelming.   

Happy that I have a long weekend (it's Canadian Thanksgiving).

Unfortunately for me, it seems that I'm not fully recovered from my concussion. :(  I was doing so well with my practicum this summer, we were hopeful.  Unfortunately, it seems like the kind of mental concentration and heavy reading and computer work required by graduate school has caused my concussion symptoms to flare again. :(  Fortunately, my program is very understanding, and I have accommodations through Accessibility services.  It definitely makes things challenging, though, as I can only work in short chunks of time before I need a break.  And I have a headache at the end of the two days I have class, since those are solid days (class from 9 to 4 or 10 to 5, with only an hour break for lunch on both days).

Also struggling to get a couple of papers published.  Been rejected pre-review from the first two journals we submitted to.  Trying to find other journals we can submit to that don't charge open access fees.

I can only imagine the frustration you are experiencing at this time.  I hope the situation with the concussion gets resolved.  Best of luck to you as you continue your studies despite the concussion. 

Won a prize in my discipline outside of the university, which is the first external validation I've had since joining this discipline for my PhD. Kind of bowled over and oh so happy! Starting to prepare for the national conference in December where the prize will be awarded, and where I'm presenting the same paper. Coursework is chugging fine, although it's frustrating having to fulfil certain requirements which stop me being able to take the most relevant courses to my dissertation, at times.

I'm really worried about learning two languages from scratch, neither of which use the Latin alphabet, and passing reading exams in both by the end of next year. The reality of how intense and stuctured this program will continue to be into year 3 and 4 is starting to hit home.

This is fantastic! I'm sure the external validation feels great. Learning two different languages....yikes, seems daunting.  At least you're aware of what your in for over the next couple of years and its seems like you are laying the foundation to ensure your future success.  I'm sure the road ahead will be filled with challenges but, nothing comes easy.  Best of luck to you. 

Took  my first exam of the semester and I did okay.  Not as great as I would have liked but okay.  Feeling a little lonely this semester, don't know what that's about.  Also the changes with the layout on gradcafe have made it more of a challenge to keep up with old friends.  Hanging in there, researching in preparation to write two big papers this semester.  

I've been working from home in California all semester even though I live in Michigan. I got a sort of permission from my advisor to live with my long distance partner for the semester as long as I keep my work up. I also have an online course. Managing everything while living with my partner and our 4 other housemates (he is finishing up his teacher's credential in an expensive big city) has been more challenging than I expected. But I'm just about finished planning out the nitty gritty details for my main dissertation experiments and am in the process of ordering supplies and preparing my specimens.

Took  my first exam of the semester and I did okay.  Not as great as I would have liked but okay.  Feeling a little lonely this semester, don't know what that's about.  Also the changes with the layout on gradcafe have made it more of a challenge to keep up with old friends.  Hanging in there, researching in preparation to write two big papers this semester.  

Sorry to hear you are feeling lonely.  I think there must be something about second year.  A lot of my classmates report being totally unmotivated.

A lot of them (they are mostly traditional-aged students) are realizing that there are no answers in our field, and that everything depends on context.  Yet in our classes, we're asked to propose solutions to enormous problems that haven't been solved yet (i.e. childhood obesity, increasing fruit and vegetable consumption, etc.)  If experts haven't figured out how to solve these, how are we supposed to?  Most of them understand that it is more about understanding how complex these problems are, how many different ways there are to approach them, and how to critically analyze the literature that is out there and not just accept things that are published in peer-reviewed journals as "correct."  It really is amazing how much "junk" gets published - where authors, for example, use totally inappropriate and incorrect methods.  It really makes you wonder about the entire peer review process if papers with those kinds of flaws get published (and in my field, I'm talking about simple things, like using the DRIs correctly to assess dietary intake - nothing controversial or difficult).

I feel terrible. My MS experience seems to not help at all. I used to be able to fabricate samples and run experiments quite confidently, if a bit slowly. In my PHD, it seems like nothing goes the way it is supposed to. When I entered the lab, it seemed like I was just tossed into the lab with no preparation in how things actually run - I don't know how to buy chemicals, my PI isn't here, the postdoc thinks I suck at everything. Supplies are frequently short. I didn't do wet chemistry in the past, and yet now all my samples need to be solution processable. My previous experiments in this group all felt like they were pulled off only with extraordinary luck. I have very little input into the project either. I don't know what to do.

"Second year blues" are starting to kick in... when is something going to go right?

I hear you!  Although I did not know second year blues were to be expected.  I believe I have a slight case.

Sorry to hear you are feeling lonely.  I think there must be something about second year.  A lot of my classmates report being totally unmotivated.

A lot of them (they are mostly traditional-aged students) are realizing that there are no answers in our field, and that everything depends on context.  Yet in our classes, we're asked to propose solutions to enormous problems that haven't been solved yet (i.e. childhood obesity, increasing fruit and vegetable consumption, etc.)  If experts haven't figured out how to solve these, how are we supposed to?  Most of them understand that it is more about understanding how complex these problems are, how many different ways there are to approach them, and how to critically analyze the literature that is out there and not just accept things that are published in peer-reviewed journals as "correct."  It really is amazing how much "junk" gets published - where authors, for example, use totally inappropriate and incorrect methods.  It really makes you wonder about the entire peer review process if papers with those kinds of flaws get published (and in my field, I'm talking about simple things, like using the DRIs correctly to assess dietary intake - nothing controversial or difficult).

Yes I have no motivation to do anything.  Perhaps a lot of that can be contributed to the fact I have a broken leg for the past nine months and everything is a chore.  My first year I felt more on top of things.  This semester I feel so disjointed.  Weird, I can't really explain it. Looking forward to surgery to fix my leg this week.  Then looking forward to the Christmas break.

I hear you!  Although I did not know second year blues were to be expected.  I believe I have a slight case.

Yes I have no motivation to do anything.  Perhaps a lot of that can be contributed to the fact I have a broken leg for the past nine months and everything is a chore.  My first year I felt more on top of things.  This semester I feel so disjointed.  Weird, I can't really explain it. Looking forward to surgery to fix my leg this week.  Then looking forward to the Christmas break.

Good luck with the surgery.  I can imagine that everything must be a chore with a leg in need of surgery.  All the best!

Not dead yet - which is always a bonus in my book. :)  I hope you're all well...

Clicked this thread from the Forum directory page because I saw your picture and username and thought "Munashi?! I remember Munashi!!"  ... although I don't think we ever really knew each other.  You're one of the regulars I'd see all the time nearly two years ago!

As for how I'm doing ... I'm doing pretty well!  Applying for PhD programs (my program is a terminal MA), and I'm engaged now and getting married a soon after graduation.  Also doing my master's thesis, part of which I'll be sending out for publication, and I'm co-authoring three other pieces including a book chapter! Woo! 

But I've also been living off of coffee in the process.  It's ok though, cause coffee is a hug in a mug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made it to 2nd year. 

My program is one year full time but since I am part-time all my classmates have graduated so at times feeling a little down. At least most of the part time students are still there.

on the bright side I lended a temp full time position related to my studies. Now have to keep networking.  

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, feel like I haven't posted on here in awhile! Hopefully everyone is doing well as the semester winds down.

Things have been going pretty well for me actually. One of my assistantships (TA) this semester wasn't exactly what I wanted but for next semester it appears that I actually have my ideal assignment -- a research assistantship with my advisor and teaching my own course which I've done before so it doesn't require that much more prep. 

Also got asked to be on a grant with my advisor and TA an intensive winter course for another committee member. Both of which happened shortly after I got pretty close to a breaking point mid-November. So for anyone struggling remember the universe has a way of balancing things out!

On 11/7/2015 at 6:14 PM, Threeboysmom said:

One week post surgery and I am struggling to keep up with my reading while on all the meds to fix my broken leg.  Hanging in there though. 

Also had surgery towards the end of the semester! I thought "Wow, I'll have a few days to do nothing" but I had forgotten that recovering from surgery isn't like having time off, really ... much more pain involved than I remember (this is my fifth surgery of this type; I guess we tend to block out the bad memories)! There were a couple days off where I felt better than worse, and I am happy to report that I'm pretty much all better. 

Submitted the last of my grades yesterday, and I just sent the last of my GRE scores to PhD programs I'm applying to! Feeling relieved, yet not looking forward to the waiting game!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2015 at 9:51 AM, gingin6789 said:

Also had surgery towards the end of the semester! I thought "Wow, I'll have a few days to do nothing" but I had forgotten that recovering from surgery isn't like having time off, really ... much more pain involved than I remember (this is my fifth surgery of this type; I guess we tend to block out the bad memories)! There were a couple days off where I felt better than worse, and I am happy to report that I'm pretty much all better. 

Submitted the last of my grades yesterday, and I just sent the last of my GRE scores to PhD programs I'm applying to! Feeling relieved, yet not looking forward to the waiting game!

Good luck as you go through the agonizing waiting process.  

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted here in a while! 

I took my comprehensive exams (PhDs are required to do that their third semester).  I passed, but it was absolutely awful.  I cried when it was over because I felt like the biggest idiot that has ever been allowed to pass a comp exam.  I was also feeling the blues all fall semester which didn't help in my preparation. 

Now it's the 4th semester and things are going much better.  I've felt like my advisor has been disappointed with me ever since my exams (I'm one of the very, very few students to be admitted directly to the PhD program).  But he told me the other day that I was doing great work.  So...I guess I'm currently on the incline portion of the roller coaster. 

I do have a question. Test anxiety.  Does anyone here get it, and how do you deal with it?