Fall 2015 Status Check. How's It Going?

For those starting their programs this fall, a place to express nerves or excitement or both! 

I start on Monday. I got the syllabus for the required intro/theory course and it's 200 pages of theory a week. I'm kind of peeing my pants here... and I love theory! Luckily, it seems like the other two courses I'm taking seem to be a little lighter on the reading load but it's definitely putting a crimp on plans that I had for possibly auditing a course.

I had my department orientation yesterday and every seems really cool. Intensely smart but also relaxed and willing to laugh a bit. Not seeing the competitive knives out yet ;)

Looking forward to hearing how everyone else's lead up to the beginning of the semester is shaping up!

I'm more excited than nervous at this point. I have 150 pages of theory to read (and a 300 word assignment) for my first class, which starts on the 31st, on top of my day job in a Writing Center, and some other reading material for two other courses (one of which has had exactly ZERO professor interaction so far). That said, from the two syllabi I have so far, I think juggling three graduate courses and a full GAship will be "heavy, but manageable." It helps that I have a legitimate interest in all three courses (research methodologies revolving around Shakespeare's Sonnets, intro to teaching freshman composition, and metaphor and analogy in Renaissance literature).

My goal, at this point, is to take three courses in the fall and spring, then only two for NEXT fall and spring so that I can have a heavier teaching load, if possible. I would also like to audit a language course at some point (I'm undecided on whether that will be Latin or Italian), but I might have to do that during a summer session.

Finally, I was thrilled to get my first choice for graduate mentor. I hit it off quite well with this professor during the open house back in March, and we have corresponded a few times over the summer. She reminds me a lot of my UG advisor, and is also quite distinguished, so I think she'll be a great fit, and should be able to help me a lot moving forward.

Tuesday is the big departmental graduate orientation. Even though I've been working in the department for a couple of months, I'm excited to finally meet most of my cohort and a few more professors. I've made a point of using the weekends to extract as much from summer as possible (I've hit the beach three times, and went and had a whirlwind trip to NYC last weekend to see Hamilton), since fall is going to be UBER busy!

How was Hamilton? He's my favorite figure in American history, and I'm hoping to make an NY trip for it next summer if it's still playing.

Oh, it was fantastic. There's a ton of hype surrounding the show (to wit: Denzel Washington, Aziz Ansari, and M. Night Shymalan were all in the audience for the performance I attended), and normally I'm a bit leery of hype...but in this case, the show totally lives up to it. I'm sure it will still be playing next summer -- I suspect this show will win a bajillion Tony awards and will be a Broadway staple for years to come.

I am both excited and nervous, but excited is winning the fight! I've finalized my book purchases and I'm also peeing my pants a little bit. I don't have a syllabus so I'm not sure what the reading load will be, but the quantity of books is more than I had while taking 5 undergraduate classes where some of those were honors. I did have some reading homework for one class and the professor said this was lighter than a normal week. I don't start classes until the 1st, but orientation is next week and I'm really looking forward to talking with the people I know from the open house and meeting the rest of the cohort. My cohort and some other students are getting together for a happy hour next week and I'm really looking forward to interacting with the older students as well.

WT, I've heard such great things about Hamilton! You're the fourth person this week to talk about the show and now I have to go see it!

It's nice to hear about what people are doing! I hope everyone's first semester is excellent!

I found a pretty great coffee place two blocks from my apartment, so I'm pretty much set for the next 6 years. (Classes also start for me on the 1st, and so my life is Ikea manuals and train rides to see people at the moment.) 

Edited by echo449

Somewhere around 20 freshmen are taking my early-morning class tomorrow! With any luck, they'll all be asleep and won't hear the inevitably awkward things I am going to say. I did manage to print out syllabi for all of them, so between that and my presentation, maybe they won't look at me so much.

My first graduate course is tomorrow too. I haven't done the reading yet, but the day is still young.

Good luck to everyone starting school soon! 

I found a pretty great coffee place two blocks from my apartment, so I'm pretty much set for the next 6 years. (Classes also start for me on the 1st, and so my life is Ikea manuals and train rides to see people at the moment.) 

Oh! I'm so glad you mentioned coffee places, because I came across a place right by my campus that sells the most amazing blend of coffee that I've ever drunk in my 36 years of existence. It's called "black satin," and it manages to be both smooth and incredibly bold at the same time...which is exactly what I've always been looking for in a coffee. I've bought 3lb of beans already, in addition to stopping there for a cuppa every morning before work.

Hooray for habit-forming addictions! :P

I am both excited and nervous, but excited is winning the fight! I've finalized my book purchases and I'm also peeing my pants a little bit. I don't have a syllabus so I'm not sure what the reading load will be, but the quantity of books is more than I had while taking 5 undergraduate classes where some of those were honors.

How many classes are you taking, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't taken three reading-heavy courses in a long time (the last time I did, the third class was a "flash fiction/prose poems" course, so needless to say it was manageable) and I'm feeling uneasy about how I'll handle it.

That's great to hear! I'm adjusting to not having an office on campus so I'm trying to case out my area for nice cafes. Coffee and a nice reading atmosphere is crucial!

I'm a terrible people-watcher, though, so I need the cafe to be suitably boring as well otherwise I end up looking up from my book every odd minute or so and then I end up getting nothing done.

Oh! I'm so glad you mentioned coffee places, because I came across a place right by my campus that sells the most amazing blend of coffee that I've ever drunk in my 36 years of existence. It's called "black satin," and it manages to be both smooth and incredibly bold at the same time...which is exactly what I've always been looking for in a coffee. I've bought 3lb of beans already, in addition to stopping there for a cuppa every morning before work.

There are going to be many more pounds to come in the next two years I bet! ;)

I have 2 theory classes back to back on Mondays. Ack! Definitely not my style but at least I have less days on campus. I'll be moving into the San Fernando Valley, which is going to make the idea of going to campus often much less appealing...

I'm so excited for everyone! I'm going back next week for the first time since December. I was officially enrolled last semester, but since I completed my teaching load in the Fall and took an independent study with my advisor via Skype, this Fall will be my first time back-back since my daughter was born. I have so many feelings about this: I'm so excited to see my friends, get back to my work, meet my students, and rock my exams, but I'm profoundly sad that I won't be home with my daughter all day everyday any more. This will be a huge transition for me, much bigger than when I started the program. 

This semester will also be the first time I've gone to school and not been in classes as a student. Dude. I'm done with classes, and it feels so so so good. I know I'll miss them eventually, but for now, I will celebrate entering the next stage of my doctoral career!

weekend-update.jpg

Also, WT, can't wait to finally meet you in person and hear all about how amazing Lin Manuel Miranda is live! 

How many classes are you taking, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't taken three reading-heavy courses in a long time (the last time I did, the third class was a "flash fiction/prose poems" course, so needless to say it was manageable) and I'm feeling uneasy about how I'll handle it.

I don't mind at all! I'm taking three courses-- one is a theory and criticism course in 18th century. I've never taken anything quite like it, but it's in my century of interest so I'm pretty stoked. The other two classes are just lit classes, one in Victorian and one in Romanticism. Do your classes meet once a week?

I've heard that the workload is one of the hardest adjustments so I'm trying think of how I can structure my days if things start to feel slippery. I'm commuting from NYC for this semester, but I think if it gets too time consuming that I'll relocate to New Jersey in the Spring. Did everyone else find their moves to be trouble free?

One of the things that is killing me is the lack of a good coffee shop around campus. At least--I didn't see one during open house. I'm going to have to ask around because this girl cannot live on Au Bon Pain coffee. 

Good news! Hidden Grounds is a little off-campus (~5 minute walk from Murray) on Easton, and it is probably what you're looking for. There's also QC in Highland Park (the one I mentioned above) tho that's 20 minutes away so less convenient.

Edited by echo449

Omg. I didn't realize you were going to Rutgers echo, my bad! Thank you for being such a life saver though! I wish I could upvote you more than once lol. I'll have to give Hidden Grounds a try tomorrow when I go in for orientation! :)

Omg. I didn't realize you were going to Rutgers echo, my bad! Thank you for being such a life saver though! I wish I could upvote you more than once lol. I'll have to give Hidden Grounds a try tomorrow when I go in for orientation! :)

Haha it's cool. No problem! Good coffee in the area was one of the first things I sought out when I was exploring campus in June haha.

Don't ask my why, but knowing that several of my fellow GCers care as deeply about good coffee as I do makes me feel all warm inside. Or perhaps that's the cup of Black Satin I just consumed. But still!

And @ProfLorax: I can't wait to meet you as well! I'm actively looking forward to Tuesday's GEO luncheon and meet-and-greet...hope you'll be there!

Casey's? Nice. Also, you are about 5 minutes from my favorite restaurant on the planet, Franklin's. If they have it, the Cajun Mac and Cheese is the best food on the planet. Otherwise, just get a bunch of the apps and share (I prefer the pork belly or grilled corn) with a flight of whatever they have on tap.

Casey's? Nice. Also, you are about 5 minutes from my favorite restaurant on the planet, Franklin's. If they have it, the Cajun Mac and Cheese is the best food on the planet. Otherwise, just get a bunch of the apps and share (I prefer the pork belly or grilled corn) with a flight of whatever they have on tap.

Casey's indeed! I only wish they were open later. I went over there with a professor / colleague / friend after work on Friday, but they were closing up. They were out of Black Satin, though even the remnants of their house blend was delicious. Yes, I'm definitely hooked on their coffee.

As for Franklin's, I've never actually eaten at the restaurant, but my wife and I have been to the store portion many times over the years. My father-in-law is a big fan of receiving gag gifts for his birthday, Father's Day, Christmas etc., so we often go and buy $50 or so of amusing knick-knacks. It seems like every time we go there we're watching what we're eating, but one of these days, during a "non diet" period, I'll be sure to hit the restaurant side and pig out!

Best of luck to all starting this semester!  Adjusting to the reading load can be challenging.  As someone who took up to 25 credits a semester in undergrad (including classes like Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Calculus, etc.) I thought I wouldn't have any issue with taking four courses during my Ph.D.  I almost died (also taking an off campus Italian class and a very part-time job, but basically, it was a terrible idea).  Don't push yourself too hard.  Challenge yourself but make time for your health, family, and relaxation.  Work hard but take care of yourself, too.  Best wishes to all!

And WT: If you continue to focus on lyric (specifically English EM sonnets,) I'd recommend Italian.  You can pick up Latin pretty easily after if needed, but Italian will be much more helpful if you pretty much stay in the 16th c. and pretty much all the important English sonnet writers knew and interacted with Italian sonnets.

Thanks as always, Lyoness. I'm honestly not sure whether I'm going to pursue that track right now. I may still go down that road, since it's clearly a major interest of mine, but I've been exploring other options over the summer, and have promised myself I will keep an open mind in terms of long-term research goals until the end of the fall semester. That said, I will most likely remain in the early modern vein, and Italian is obviously a critical language to know for that.

If you choose Italian (and this goes for anyone needing a language basically besides French, Spanish, and German) look into the Foreign Language Area Studies program through the Department of Education.  The FLAS supports either full-year study at your home institution or intensive summer programs that you can do in country.  I was lucky enough to get the summer fellowship twice, and let me tell you, spending a couple summers in Italy is a pretty nice way to spend a good chunk of the summer!  Immersion is also obviously the best way to learn a language, but the food might even trump the whole language-learning thing ;)

I don't mind at all! I'm taking three courses-- one is a theory and criticism course in 18th century. I've never taken anything quite like it, but it's in my century of interest so I'm pretty stoked. The other two classes are just lit classes, one in Victorian and one in Romanticism. Do your classes meet once a week?

I've heard that the workload is one of the hardest adjustments so I'm trying think of how I can structure my days if things start to feel slippery. I'm commuting from NYC for this semester, but I think if it gets too time consuming that I'll relocate to New Jersey in the Spring. Did everyone else find their moves to be trouble free?

One of the things that is killing me is the lack of a good coffee shop around campus. At least--I didn't see one during open house. I'm going to have to ask around because this girl cannot live on Au Bon Pain coffee. 

Your courses sound great! Mine meet once a week, yes. I'm really trying to keep ahead of the readings now. Luckily, much of the theory readings come from the Norton Anthology that I know a lot of people around here dislike. I'm all right with it since I have extensive notes on some of the essays in there already, which may help me during a rough week!

Oy, I had it in my mind that you chose UCLA so I was going to ask you about LA stuff but nevermind! Hope that commute from the city treats you well :)

Yay! It's true, GradCafers. Wyatt's Torch and I met today, and it was magical. I'm really happy to report that WT is already wonderfully settled in on UMD's campus and has a SWEET office! Also, he's as kind and thoughtful offline as he is online.