Nature of my writing

whit92

I was asked on a MFA application to describe the nature of my writing and the writing process, but I drew a blank.  Help!  How would I go about answering this question?

I enjoy writing immensely, but I've never taken any sort of writing class in college, so take what I say with a grain of salt. 

I think the way you go about answering the question and what you say about your writing indirectly highlights the nature of your writing. Is there anything specific you always aim to do when you write? For me, I personally always aim to be clear and organized, and I tend to get complimented on that. I want intelligent people outside my field to be able to understand what I write; I want my friends and family to be able to understand what I do (at least to a certain extent).

The question is even more open-ended for an MFA, I think. Do you like writing about particular topics? Do you aim to represent the voice of specific populations? What is unique about your writing? What/who are your inspirations? Just some thoughts.

• 2 months later...

I think what kind of emotion or event arouses you could be an option, too. In my case, some are good and some are bad in my writings, but my deepest desire is anger. I am an idealist so I tend to write about things that make me mad, say a discrepancy between what is being done and what should be done. Some of my friends write out of desire to share their knowledge and others to grasp meanings of moments that will never come back. I might not be a person who can answer to this question, though.

Edited by amolang

I was asked this once as part of a class evaluation and when I asked the professor for clarification she literally wanted to know how we chose the topic we researched, how we took notes (if we took notes), and how we set out organizing our paper and completing each section.  How I chose my topics was easy to explain, but my note taking and organizing methods were way more challenging to explain.  At some point I created my own style and it only makes sense to me apparently lol.