HESA Masters 2016

rgreen

14 minutes ago, JayBoogie said:

@SAgal I WAS ASKED TO INTERVIEW, TOO!!!! CONGRATS! I'll see you there!!! I'm so excited right now!!!! OMG

Which interview weekend! Feb. 21-22nd is when I'm going!

2 minutes ago, SAgal said:

Which interview weekend! Feb. 21-22nd is when I'm going!

I'm going that weekend, too! Is it the only weekend you think? Either way, we can see each other!!!! I'll just be glad there's someone there who's as nervous/excited as me haha

3 hours ago, JayBoogie said:

I'm going that weekend, too! Is it the only weekend you think? Either way, we can see each other!!!! I'll just be glad there's someone there who's as nervous/excited as me haha

Awesome! And yeah there's another weekend, February 7-8th I believe.

I was invited to interview February 7-8! I wonder how they decide the dates...since the second session would work better for me. Oh well. Also I got into Ohio State last week! Hoping for the best for all of us.

23 hours ago, JayBoogie said:

@SAgal really!? I'm with you--I'm not very hopeful because not only was my SOP pretty dreadful, but I heard they usually receive an INSANE number of applicants each period. It was my "dream" school (i.e. the one I knew I more than likely wouldn't be accepted to, but applied anyway just to say I did). You and I can anxiously refresh our emails together! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

I did the exact same thing!! I figured I have a better chance of getting in if I apply. It never hurts to try.

According to the NASPA website, they get about 300+ applicants (but Im not sure when that was last update). It seems schools that have "a lot" of applicants are receiving about 150-200, where most other schools are less than 100. So its safe to say that UConn is really competitive.  

Edited by xSuperRaquelx

8 hours ago, xSuperRaquelx said:

I did the exact same thing!! I figured I have a better chance of getting in if I apply. It never hurts to try.

According to the NASPA website, they get about 300+ applicants (but Im not sure when that was last update). It seems schools that have "a lot" of applicants are receiving about 150-200, where most other schools are less than 100. So its safe to say that UConn is really competitive.  

Yeah, UConn is one of the most competitive. I have a friend that was accepted (after interviews) and she said that one of the coordinators said they had over 400 applicants. (This was last year, mind you.)

Also, as a side note, does anyone know how many people are interviewing at the University of Vermont? I have a feeling like it's a lot and people have told me interview weekend is insanity and it's so difficult to stand out because there are so many people. 

5 hours ago, JayBoogie said:

Yeah, UConn is one of the most competitive. I have a friend that was accepted (after interviews) and she said that one of the coordinators said they had over 400 applicants. (This was last year, mind you.)

Also, as a side note, does anyone know how many people are interviewing at the University of Vermont? I have a feeling like it's a lot and people have told me interview weekend is insanity and it's so difficult to stand out because there are so many people. 

Not a clue! It makes me so nervous! I've heard similar, that there are a lot of interviewees! But that might be why UVM splits the dates--to get a better idea of each and every candidate. I have heard that some programs invite upwards of 70 students to interviews (and of course some will decline the invitation).

17 hours ago, hesaplease said:

I was invited to interview February 7-8! I wonder how they decide the dates...since the second session would work better for me. Oh well. Also I got into Ohio State last week! Hoping for the best for all of us.

I was wondering how they decide too! The current students I talked to had a pretty even mix of which weekend they attended (1st or 2nd), so it might just be random.

The first weekend would work better for me haha!

Hey guys, make sure (if you're comfortable with it) to put your admission results on the results/survey page! There's barely anything about Student Affairs on their and I'm sure it'd help out other people and future students.

Rep Student Affairs! And congrats again on the Vermont invites to those of you that got them :)

1 hour ago, queerpsych2013 said:

Hey guys, make sure (if you're comfortable with it) to put your admission results on the results/survey page! There's barely anything about Student Affairs on their and I'm sure it'd help out other people and future students.

Rep Student Affairs! And congrats again on the Vermont invites to those of you that got them :)

I'm new here, what is the survey page?

8 minutes ago, hesaplease said:

I'm new here, what is the survey page?

Welcome! 

Here's the link - http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

It's the page where people can read and submit their acceptances, denials, interview invites, etc, as they're received from perspective schools.

4 hours ago, SAgal said:

Not a clue! It makes me so nervous! I've heard similar, that there are a lot of interviewees! But that might be why UVM splits the dates--to get a better idea of each and every candidate. I have heard that some programs invite upwards of 70 students to interviews (and of course some will decline the invitation).

Yeah, I've heard that people having to fund their own trip to UVM deters a lot of applicants. Some people can drive, but for me I have to fly/book a hotel and all that good stuff. BUT, I'm still super excited. And keep in mind we had to go through the assistantship application so they have to go through another set of applications after our interviews (the HESA department does). We can keep each other sane during interview days. :D

1 minute ago, JayBoogie said:

Yeah, I've heard that people having to fund their own trip to UVM deters a lot of applicants. Some people can drive, but for me I have to fly/book a hotel and all that good stuff. BUT, I'm still super excited. And keep in mind we had to go through the assistantship application so they have to go through another set of applications after our interviews (the HESA department does). We can keep each other sane during interview days. :D

I'm most likely going to have to fly as well! And yeah I saw they said we would be contacted by assistantship sites soon so we know who we'll be talking to! Also, my assistantship application wasn't as strong as I would've liked it to be :unsure:

@JayBoogie @SAgal Hi y'all! I'm a current first year in the UVM HESA program! Just as a note, as far as travel and where you'll stay, we do our absolute best to try to host everyone who needs a place to stay while they are here for their interview weekend. There's a possibility that you'll need a hotel but we make every effort that people stay with a current student not just to save money, but so that you also get some time to chat with your host and make connections. :) Also, I'm not sure what the policy is this year, but last year there were some funds for travel assistance for those with financial need (didn't cover everything but definitely helped.) It's worth calling the HESA office and checking if cost is an inhibitor to coming. 

14 minutes ago, justabluedevil15 said:

@JayBoogie @SAgal Hi y'all! I'm a current first year in the UVM HESA program! Just as a note, as far as travel and where you'll stay, we do our absolute best to try to host everyone who needs a place to stay while they are here for their interview weekend. There's a possibility that you'll need a hotel but we make every effort that people stay with a current student not just to save money, but so that you also get some time to chat with your host and make connections. :) Also, I'm not sure what the policy is this year, but last year there were some funds for travel assistance for those with financial need (didn't cover everything but definitely helped.) It's worth calling the HESA office and checking if cost is an inhibitor to coming. 

OH MY GOSH! Thank you so much for the information! It's so incredibly helpful. I'll definitely try to reach out to the HESA department and ask them! If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips/advice for the interview process? :-D 

@SAgal in regards to my assistantship application, I TOTALLY feel you! I don't think mine was as strong as it could have been either. But I think we're just psyching ourselves out. We'll be fine (and hopefully part of the 2016 cohort!). :-)

I'd be happy to chat more and give some insight about what the process was like for me last year! Would you mind private messaging me? I'm working on summer internship applications at the moment but I'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow, and feel free to ask any questions you have. I'll answer to the best of my ability. :)

5 minutes ago, justabluedevil15 said:

I'd be happy to chat more and give some insight about what the process was like for me last year! Would you mind private messaging me? I'm working on summer internship applications at the moment but I'll get back to you tonight or tomorrow, and feel free to ask any questions you have. I'll answer to the best of my ability. :)

Mind if I message you too? I'm full of questions as well!

13 minutes ago, JayBoogie said:

OH MY GOSH! Thank you so much for the information! It's so incredibly helpful. I'll definitely try to reach out to the HESA department and ask them! If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips/advice for the interview process? :-D 

@SAgal in regards to my assistantship application, I TOTALLY feel you! I don't think mine was as strong as it could have been either. But I think we're just psyching ourselves out. We'll be fine (and hopefully part of the 2016 cohort!). :-)

You're probably right! It has to be the nerves!!!!

6 minutes ago, SAgal said:

Mind if I message you too? I'm full of questions as well!

Absolutely! I'm an open resource and if for some reason there's something I can't answer, I will connect you with someone who can. :)

Just for those who applied, UConn hopes to send out interview invites today! And those who are no longer in the admissions cycle will be notified next week. I asked because I have my UVM interview the same time as UConn and wanted to make sure I could attend both. :P 

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO APPLIED!!!

21 hours ago, JayBoogie said:

Just for those who applied, UConn hopes to send out interview invites today! And those who are no longer in the admissions cycle will be notified next week. I asked because I have my UVM interview the same time as UConn and wanted to make sure I could attend both. :P 

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO APPLIED!!!

Did you hear anything back from them? I'm assuming they sent out invites yesterday and that I didn't get one!!! You win some and lose some I guess, but I wanted to be absolutely sure before confirming with UVM as well.