Ways to go above and beyond

Alexmai

Aside from a killer personal statement connecting with the grad program, great LOR, as well as experience in the field, etc., what else have people heard of doing to really set yourself apart from 500+ applicants at some of these reach schools? Just an example- I have a family friend who applied to Washington University and called the admissions department regularly inquiring (this is a little excessive in my opinion, but you get the idea).

So what else is out there to do? Calling? Visiting? Mentioning your visit in your personal statement? Contacting a professor of a lab you're interested in and mentioning the professor? I guess I'm wondering what the etiquette is as far as what to do and what not to do and if anyone has any tips up their sleeve. 

I would think that most people who stand out in a pool of 500+ applicants have unique experiences and backgrounds that set them apart. I don't think things like calling the department really help especially when the receptionist isn't on the decision committee. Once it's application season I'm not sure there's much you can do besides looking great with your stats and LORs/SOP.

While the AA's aren't on the committee, being obnoxious to one definitely gets back to them. I think calling repeatedly is a horrible idea. Confirm your materials got received, then leave it be until you hear something (or we get to mid March and you haven't heard anything)

I personally have made sure my personality shines through all email communications with PIs and anyone who may be on an admissions board. You need to want them as much as they want you, so trying to put on a face for admissions purposes just seems silly to me. As such, I've been told multiple places that I'm the most "real" applicant they've had in a while, because I've been me. So maybe that? (I don't know, I'm not in anywhere yet!)

I personally have made sure my personality shines through all email communications with PIs and anyone who may be on an admissions board. You need to want them as much as they want you, so trying to put on a face for admissions purposes just seems silly to me. As such, I've been told multiple places that I'm the most "real" applicant they've had in a while, because I've been me. So maybe that? (I don't know, I'm not in anywhere yet!)

Can you give us an example of how you made your personality shine through your email communications? 

Can you give us an example of how you made your personality shine through your email communications? 

For example, I am not afraid to be honest with them. I've said that there's certain hard no's for me (I will not be doing cadaver work for example - I just can't do it - and in my field that can be an issue), that I'm incredibly flexible and hard working when it comes to work hours and tasks, but when I'm away from the lab I'm away from the lab and will not answer emails. I've obviously sold my skills and experiences in such a way that this doesn't come off as stand-offish as this post may suggest. 

Another example (probably a better one) is the fact that a lot of my previous experience has been epidemiological (I'm a different field to SLP) and I've said straight upright that although this experience has been invaluable I'm ready to apply the skills to a different area. I've just been me - made jokes about always being the stats girl, laughed off minor errors (I tried to book a skype appointment on Labor day), and acknowledged that although this PI may be incredible in their field, they too are just people who make mistakes. No point hiding either of your personalities if the match up isn't going to work in the long-haul (and I think I might have said that at one point or another...."sorry if this email isn't particularly conventional but this is me, and if you don't think my personality will fit into the lab at XYZ, I'd prefer to know now rather than wasting my app money"). 

I am a blunt person. I don't pander to personalities and I don't hide away from harsh realties and truths. As such, I know I am a "love them or hate them" person and this comes across in my communications. I need to be somewhere where I like everyone and they like me! The same should go for everyone applying. You're interviewing schools as much as they're interviewing you.

piglet33, while your advice is really great, this is in the speech-path sub-forum, and most of us don't have PIs, since we're doing a professional master's program. Most of us won't have the same level of email correspondence with anyone in the department before applying, and it could even be frowned upon. I can't imagine why someone in this field would be emailing a faculty member at a prospective school so much so that the faculty member remembers their name in any positive light, or enough for them to stand out during the admissions process. It's still advice that could be incorporated in to personal statements, however. In fact, I think a lot of people fall short on personal statements in this field. This is just my opinion, but I think it's important to remember the process for a professional master's has some important differences than PhD or academic master's. Interviews are not even that common in this field, you'll have a cohort of 25 people (give or take), and your advisor is more there to make sure you get your courses done and have all your prereqs for state certification, not really anything else.

In general, at this point in your application process, the best way to go "above and beyond" is to... well, not to try. You should have genuine interests and experiences that stemmed from those interests related to this field by now. If you start doing something now just to get in to grad school, it kind of shows. Even if you have a passion not related to this field, like swimming, you can still use that in your personal statement in some way.

Like I said, I think people fall short on personal statements, but I can only speak from my experience. I've read a lot of personal statements for slp programs over the last 4 years. I read a lot of bad ones, in real life and online. Anecdotally, all of the people who got multiple acceptances (and acceptances initially) were able to talk about programs specifically and why they wanted to go to those schools, and what their backgrounds could bring to those programs. If they have a lab you're interested in? Feel free to contact the professor! Get some details. And mention that in your personal statement. Do they have a special track that you're interested in, like an AR focus, or multicultural emphasis? Mention it! You have a reason for applying to that school. Let them know. They know they have good rankings and good professors or whatever; they don't need you to tell them that. They need to know why you're invested in that program. Every program is different, so there's more than enough you can talk about. I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, but I do think visiting schools before you apply is a great idea. I didn't do it. I wish I had, but the cost was prohibitive. I learned SO much about the program I ended up at by visiting after I was accepted, and I think I could have really made my personal statement for that program better by visiting being applying. I learned information that wasn't even on their website by going, which ultimately made my decision for me.

That may seem like common sense, but I'm shocked at how many applicants don't do this or dismiss the importance of it. One little sentence is not enough. I really believe talking in your statement about "why this program" is underestimated. At this point in the application process, your SOP is one of the few things you still have control of. Use it to your advantage. Don't just pop one out on December 21st and call it a day. Really take your time. Read other people's SOPs. Have people read yours. Make sure they're honest and critical. I can't tell you how much my friends (all of whom I respect as great writers and academics) helped me out by giving solid advice.

Edited by MangoSmoothie