KAUST applicants - Spring 2016

Lindsay1986

4 hours ago, abohammed said:

Guys,

Did you know anyone who had been accepted in KAUST before without doing an interview.........

Till now, I didn't get any chance for an interview, even that I believe my profile is strong enough to be evaluated.....

KAUST prefers cultural diversity more than talent. There is some regional quota and if your regional quota has already exhausted by some more talented applicants from your region, it will be very difficult to get in to KAUST, no matter how brilliant you are. I am just saying that it is not anomalous for a student having strong profile, yet no interview. Try contacting some POI. This should help.

5 hours ago, Ardevara said:

Hi guys,

I am going to have the personal interview the next week after next week. Do you know what to expect? Has anyone received the personal interview invitation?

Hi Ardevara,

I already had personal interview in September. It is pretty standard, like why KAUST? They will also ask about your family background and hobbies. Nothing academic.

Hello all,

I had my academic interview early August and the supervisor sent an e-mail to the admission regarding my application and sent me a CC of that e-mail but till now I haven't got any invitation for a personal interview I asked my supervisor and said he have no information regarding my application yet!! I wonder if any of you have same situation 

Edited by salam11

Yes, it seems that the professor sponsorship is the first step, and then the final and major step is the KAUST administration. They get the final word, even if your professor gives a high recommendation. And even getting the personal interview does not mean a guaranteed admission, as I am still waiting from September until now.

10 hours ago, JDeane said:

Hi Ardevara,

I already had personal interview in September. It is pretty standard, like why KAUST? They will also ask about your family background and hobbies. Nothing academic.

Thank you JDeane. 

If my understanding is correct, since you had the personal interview in September, now you can only wait for the final result to be announced, right? 

Anyway, do you have an example where an applicant having a recommendation from a professor was rejected? I thought having a recommendation from a professor can somehow guarantee you.

21 hours ago, Ardevara said:
4 hours ago, Ardevara said:

Thank you JDeane. 

If my understanding is correct, since you had the personal interview in September, now you can only wait for the final result to be announced, right? 

Anyway, do you have an example where an applicant having a recommendation from a professor was rejected? I thought having a recommendation from a professor can somehow guarantee you.

Yes, that is correct, I am just waiting for final result. I think in some past forums there were some ppl rejected after both interviews. However, most people with both were accepted. I am not ruling out the possibility, but remain hopeful!

6 hours ago, Ardevara said:

My question was in the condition where we already have a professor's recommendation. Do you have a personal opinion about this?

Yes, you can only move onto the personal interview with the professor's recommendation, and then it is all up to KAUST administration. I think in a highly competitive major, a professor can even recommend multiple students and let the HR make decisions. But as long as you got personal interview, it is good sign! 

DBIN,

I agree, just keep alternatives open and do not rely too much on KAUST. This process is quite excruciating due to the interviews and long time it takes. Don't really know exactly what they are looking for???

Anyways, everybody just keep your heads up, and if accepted, great! Otherwise, it is no big deal, plenty of institutions out there!

19 hours ago, abohammed said:

Did any one interviewed by the admission (the 2nd interview)?

First interview September 3rd, and second interview September 10th.

Hello guys,

I am applying for PhD  Environmental Science and Engineering ...anyone of you is candidate for this one too?. If so, have you received any update about your application status?

Thanks

Edited by Yoseline

On 11/5/2015, 7:16:54, JDeane said:

Hi Ardevara,

Hey DBIN, please see quote above. Keep us updated!

Hey Guys,

If u guys are comfortable posting your stats, please do, truthfully. Here is mine...

GPA: 3.96/4.00

GRE:

Q: 163

V: 153

* No English test necessary (US)

One research intern/fellowship with government.

19 minutes ago, JDeane said:

Hey Guys,

If u guys are comfortable posting your stats, please do, truthfully. Here is mine...

GPA: 3.96/4.00

GRE:

Q: 163

V: 153

* No English test necessary (US)

One research intern/fellowship with government.

GPA: 3.92/4.00
no GRE
TOEFL: 99.

Very standard

Yours is near perfect. You must feel very optimistic. 

GPA: 3.57/4

no GRE

IELTS: 7 bands

First interview: 6th October

More than 1 year job experience

Waiting for second interview

You guys have much better profile than me. You should be very hopeful. And Best of luck DBIN, keep us updated.

Thank you all for posting! I think there is a lot of other factors associated with this admissions process. I think these include diversity, nationality, openings or competition within specific programs, and if the candidate is a good fit or not. Of course, research is really important, and this is my weakness with no publications yet. But anyways, I think it is more than just these stats guys, like DBIN said, it could be some luck!

14 hours ago, JDeane said:

Thank you all for posting! I think there is a lot of other factors associated with this admissions process. I think these include diversity, nationality, openings or competition within specific programs, and if the candidate is a good fit or not. Of course, research is really important, and this is my weakness with no publications yet. But anyways, I think it is more than just these stats guys, like DBIN said, it could be some luck!

Hi there

Good luck for all those who had there second interview and for us too who heard nothing yet from KAUST. I think the only selection criteria for any scholarship is your luck. I have 7 years of experience in my field and have four international journal publications from which 2 are impact factor. Also one book written by me and available on amazon. Still got a hint from POI of not to have any hope to be selected. 7 band in IELTS. Gold medalist in my undergrad, but the only thing I didnot have was a good GPA in MS which was 3.2/4 in 2010, just because got married at that time and had kids so couldn't concentrate on my studies. (I can't imagine that a research University (KAUST) with high research standard can reject on the basis of just GPA that is just on the basis of the marks which you get in exams, they didnot count my gold medal, my impact factor publications, my 7 years of experience. What can be worse than that. I wanted to join KAUST just because of my strong affiliation for Makkah and Madeena, and there was no other reason for joining KAUST, as there are a lot of world class universities in the world. I am rejected because I am a female and females are not a part of diversity I think).

My POI (USA no. 1 professor) told me that he strongly wanted to hire me and I also got emails from his side that he has selected me. The only authority over there is the admission committee. POI was very surprised when he wanted to move my case further and he came to know that my application was dropped.

I shared my experience just to tell you all what happened to me. I dont want to discourage you, maybe you are the ones whom KAUST is looking for. What do you all suggest should I apply again for Fall 2016? as for that too I can't change my MS GPA. Please share your experiences as well.

11 minutes ago, UET_Applicant said:

Hi there

Good luck for all those who had there second interview and for us too who heard nothing yet from KAUST. I think the only selection criteria for any scholarship is your luck. I have 7 years of experience in my field and have four international journal publications from which 2 are impact factor. Also one book written by me and available on amazon. Still got a hint from POI of not to have any hope to be selected. 7 band in IELTS. Gold medalist in my undergrad, but the only thing I didnot have was a good GPA in MS which was 3.2/4 in 2010, just because got married at that time and had kids so couldn't concentrate on my studies. (I can't imagine that a research University (KAUST) with high research standard can reject on the basis of just GPA that is just on the basis of the marks which you get in exams, they didnot count my gold medal, my impact factor publications, my 7 years of experience. What can be worse than that. I wanted to join KAUST just because of my strong affiliation for Makkah and Madeena, and there was no other reason for joining KAUST, as there are a lot of world class universities in the world. I am rejected because I am a female and females are not a part of diversity I think).

My POI (USA no. 1 professor) told me that he strongly wanted to hire me and I also got emails from his side that he has selected me. The only authority over there is the admission committee. POI was very surprised when he wanted to move my case further and he came to know that my application was dropped.

I shared my experience just to tell you all what happened to me. I dont want to discourage you, maybe you are the ones whom KAUST is looking for. What do you all suggest should I apply again for Fall 2016? as for that too I can't change my MS GPA. Please share your experiences as well.

Sorry to hear that. Just one suggestion, if you still somehow make it to 2nd interview...don't tell them that you want to come to KAUST for Makkah and Madena..dont even mention it....may be you've mentioned this thing in your SOP that's why your application is dropped (as far I think). I've heard of many cases where Pakistani or Muslim students talk about Haram and how good Muslim they are bla bla bla and get rejected in 2nd interview. Khalaas. Lastly, don't worry, you know everything happens for a good reason, you just don't know it yet.