KAUST applicants - Spring 2016

Lindsay1986

2 hours ago, UET_Applicant said:

Hi there

Good luck for all those who had there second interview and for us too who heard nothing yet from KAUST. I think the only selection criteria for any scholarship is your luck. I have 7 years of experience in my field and have four international journal publications from which 2 are impact factor. Also one book written by me and available on amazon. Still got a hint from POI of not to have any hope to be selected. 7 band in IELTS. Gold medalist in my undergrad, but the only thing I didnot have was a good GPA in MS which was 3.2/4 in 2010, just because got married at that time and had kids so couldn't concentrate on my studies. (I can't imagine that a research University (KAUST) with high research standard can reject on the basis of just GPA that is just on the basis of the marks which you get in exams, they didnot count my gold medal, my impact factor publications, my 7 years of experience. What can be worse than that. I wanted to join KAUST just because of my strong affiliation for Makkah and Madeena, and there was no other reason for joining KAUST, as there are a lot of world class universities in the world. I am rejected because I am a female and females are not a part of diversity I think).

My POI (USA no. 1 professor) told me that he strongly wanted to hire me and I also got emails from his side that he has selected me. The only authority over there is the admission committee. POI was very surprised when he wanted to move my case further and he came to know that my application was dropped.

I shared my experience just to tell you all what happened to me. I dont want to discourage you, maybe you are the ones whom KAUST is looking for. What do you all suggest should I apply again for Fall 2016? as for that too I can't change my MS GPA. Please share your experiences as well.

May I know where you submitted your papers? IEEE trans. on? 

My suggestion is how about being a research student for 6 months. While doing it, you can apply for Fall 2016.

I also heard about the rumor. Being subtle about it is better, IMHO.

Good luck

23 minutes ago, DBIN said:

Hi Folks,

Done with Personal interview. It was good 30 minutes. Nothing technical. Only background and motivation check. No àckward questions. Local guys (One Lady and a Gentleman) took the interview. 

Quite cordial talk.

Hoping for the Best.

Ready for the worst.

Let's c what comes to my Thirst.

Great! They told when you will get an answer ?

13 hours ago, UET_Applicant said:

Hi there

Good luck for all those who had there second interview and for us too who heard nothing yet from KAUST. I think the only selection criteria for any scholarship is your luck. I have 7 years of experience in my field and have four international journal publications from which 2 are impact factor. Also one book written by me and available on amazon. Still got a hint from POI of not to have any hope to be selected. 7 band in IELTS. Gold medalist in my undergrad, but the only thing I didnot have was a good GPA in MS which was 3.2/4 in 2010, just because got married at that time and had kids so couldn't concentrate on my studies. (I can't imagine that a research University (KAUST) with high research standard can reject on the basis of just GPA that is just on the basis of the marks which you get in exams, they didnot count my gold medal, my impact factor publications, my 7 years of experience. What can be worse than that. I wanted to join KAUST just because of my strong affiliation for Makkah and Madeena, and there was no other reason for joining KAUST, as there are a lot of world class universities in the world. I am rejected because I am a female and females are not a part of diversity I think).

My POI (USA no. 1 professor) told me that he strongly wanted to hire me and I also got emails from his side that he has selected me. The only authority over there is the admission committee. POI was very surprised when he wanted to move my case further and he came to know that my application was dropped.

I shared my experience just to tell you all what happened to me. I dont want to discourage you, maybe you are the ones whom KAUST is looking for. What do you all suggest should I apply again for Fall 2016? as for that too I can't change my MS GPA. Please share your experiences as well.

UET, 

I would suggest not to worry and apply for universities in the US. With your research background and work experience, I am sure you would get admissions with funding somewhere here. So many universities! Only thing is you will need to take the GRE and score well on quant. 

PS. Also, were you still not officially notified about your application being rejected?

2 hours ago, DBIN said:

Hi Folks,

Done with Personal interview. It was good 30 minutes. Nothing technical. Only background and motivation check. No àckward questions. Local guys (One Lady and a Gentleman) took the interview. 

Quite cordial talk.

Hoping for the Best.

Ready for the worst.

Let's c what comes to my Thirst.

That is good DBIN, hopefully you will get decision soon! Was your interview via skype? You are in Germany right?

8 hours ago, JDeane said:

UET, 

I would suggest not to worry and apply for universities in the US. With your research background and work experience, I am sure you would get admissions with funding somewhere here. So many universities! Only thing is you will need to take the GRE and score well on quant. 

PS. Also, were you still not officially notified about your application being rejected?

Thanks JDeane

I am planning to take GRE these days. My status is still registered/waitlisted and not rejected officially because no one got any response from the admission committee yet.

20 hours ago, Ardevara said:

May I know where you submitted your papers? IEEE trans. on? 

My suggestion is how about being a research student for 6 months. While doing it, you can apply for Fall 2016.

I also heard about the rumor. Being subtle about it is better, IMHO.

Good luck

What rumor are you talking about?  Please share

Sounds good to me of being research student for 6 months and then apply for fall 2016, please elaborate this? you mean I apply as a research student in KAUST?

Can you please share how can I apply for it directly????

3 hours ago, UET_Applicant said:

What rumor are you talking about?  Please share

Sounds good to me of being research student for 6 months and then apply for fall 2016, please elaborate this? you mean I apply as a research student in KAUST?

Can you please share how can I apply for it directly????

The rumor I talked about is the Mecca thing.

The name of the program is VSRP. You can search it in KAUST website.

Good luck

1 hour ago, Ahassan said:
1 hour ago, Ahassan said:

Hey guys 

just got an invitation for yet another interview ... this time it is in Istanbul !! this would be my 3rd interview after an academic and personal interview both of which were on Skype

it will be on late November

Same as you bro. I have to go to Istanbul for a 3rd interview.

18 hours ago, DBIN said:

Any specifics about the 3rd interview?

How many days or plan for the interview? Will it be sponsored or self expenses?

I received the same e-mail as the personal interview. I have passed the personal interview November, 11th and I received this e-mail yesterday.

The interview is scheduled November, 26th. The flight and hotel reservation could be sponsored by KAUST. Otherwise I know nothing. It seems to be the normal protocol (face-to-face interview).

Best

Hello,

I am applying for Spring 2016 at KAUST at the Bioscience program. I submitted my application in mid September.

My academic interview was on November 8th, and my personal skype interview was yesterday on November 17th. I asked them when would they reply but they did not specify a time.

Are there others who did their interviews around the same time as mine ?

Hi guys,

I have applied in August, however I had my interviews only in November. Academic and personal interviews on 12th and 16th of November respectively. Now I am invited to Istanbul to the 3rd interview on 26th of November.Now I could not understand is it good sign or bad sign, I mean, is there anyone who have already been accepted after academic and personal interviews via Skype? 

All the best

7 hours ago, Badr said:

Hello,

I am applying for Spring 2016 at KAUST at the Bioscience program. I submitted my application in mid September.

My academic interview was on November 8th, and my personal skype interview was yesterday on November 17th. I asked them when would they reply but they did not specify a time.

Are there others who did their interviews around the same time as mine ?

Hello Badr. My personal interview was yesterday Nov 17th as yours. I asked them about when results would be ready but they dont have a specific time, they only mentioned that these would be pretty soon.

5 minutes ago, DBIN said:

3rd interview  is not necessary. As far as I know it depends on your availability. If you are located very far from Middle East then they make the decision on 2 interviews only.

Are you sure ? I am living in France (very far from Middle East) and they have invited me for a 3rd interview.

Yes, I read on the website that those who are not far from Istanbul will be gathered for face to face. But this should be seen as advantage, as that is a better way to make an impression than skype! Western hemisphere (e.g. USA) will not get such interview.

Edited by JDeane

2 hours ago, DBIN said:

No update for me. No Istanbul call and neither any update. Inquired with admissions department. Got an answer from them stating that Results for all students will be declared soon.

That's all until now. Admissions people are sole decision makers. So your academic merits doesn't count for sure. Positive node from you POI is least counted at KAUST. 

Yes, I can definitely agree with that! POI is only a first and small step in the process, as the administration is the big decision makers. But this has been quite lengthy, and I will most likely accept an offer here in the US if results are not posted very soon.

On 9/17/2015, 11:14:44, Lindsay1986 said:

Good luck to everyone who wish to attend KAUST in 2016, Here we can shear our questions about the acceptance , update or anything related ..

I applied for MS Applied Math.  I wish if I could know any information a bout the academic interview. 

Hi Lindsay,

Have you finished your interviews or recieved a decision yet ??

I am applying for PhD at AMCS and had both interviews but no decision yet.