DAAD Applicants for 2016-17

Horb

It is an entirely confusing process. They don't have word limits on the statement of grant purpose, there isn't a standard language evaluation, the CV has to be German style. But hey, I'll do whatever it takes!

On November 17, 2015 at 8:48:02 AM, Heimat Historian said:

Hello.  I'm also applying for the intensive language grant.  I agree Horb that the portal is incredibly confusing.  Did you every find out if we needed to use the actual reference form on the portal or if my letter writer can write her recommendation on school letterhead? 

Are you applying for the undergrad, grad, or doctoral level?

Just a heads up to anyone submitting: there have been technical issues with certain components of the application (things are not filled out when they should be). Please double check your applications and contact tech support if you are having issues. They are really helpful and quick to respond!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On January 11, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Syed Junaid said:

Hello I applied for DAAD Postgraduate scholarships for Developing countries 2016-17. Is anyone here who did the same and waiting for the status of their application? Any idea when will we be known of the application status? 

I didn't apply from a developing country but from past years it has been 2-3 months before the start date of the program (last year people found out in late April for June start dates).

3 hours ago, inkogneeto said:

I thought I would never find fellow DAAD applicants!! This waiting game is killing :(

Welcome to the community! I'm finding that because people were notified so late last year, that I'm not as anxious about it (until April rolls in...that is...)

20 hours ago, Horb said:

Welcome to the community! I'm finding that because people were notified so late last year, that I'm not as anxious about it (until April rolls in...that is...)

Thanks :) Yeah I read through last year's forum and that was pretty discouraging considering it makes or breaks my decision to go... Ah well just gotta wait and see!

28 minutes ago, inkogneeto said:

Thanks :) Yeah I read through last year's forum and that was pretty discouraging considering it makes or breaks my decision to go... Ah well just gotta wait and see!

What do you mean?

2 hours ago, Horb said:

What do you mean?

Just that everyone found out really late from what I read and getting the DAAD funding really determines whether or not I'll accept other offers from other schools

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, aynrand said:

Hi Horb. I haven't heard from DAAD yet.

Thanks for responding! I haven't either. I'm hoping we'll hear sooner this year, but I have no grounds to think such things!

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Horb said:

Hi all,

did everyone receive confirmation that their application was received? I had to email in but I'm worried that signifies something bad...

I never received any confirmation from them.

I received e-mail confirmation of receipt for my Graduate Research Award application from the NYC-based program officer on December 30.  I'm also hoping they might notify earlier this year, as the deadline was moved from November 15 to November 4 and they only asked for one rec letter rather than two. Mal schauen... 

1 hour ago, x\/x\/x said:

I received e-mail confirmation of receipt for my Graduate Research Award application from the NYC-based program officer on December 30.  I'm also hoping they might notify earlier this year, as the deadline was moved from November 15 to November 4 and they only asked for one rec letter rather than two. Mal schauen... 

Thanks for letting me know! I've applied two years in a row and have never received a confirmation (always emailed in) but I think the intensive language grant has a different process. Last year it was all on paper, this year it was moved to online with a mail in component. They also moved our deadline up, so I'm hopeful! Last year seemed unusually late (notified in late April) compared to previous years (early to mid March). 

I plan on enrolling in a local GI course if I don't get it, though doing the language course in Germany would really help me solidify academic connections.

My status changed on the portal to selection made. I think from past years this either meant nothing or that I didn't get the grant...wooo

11 minutes ago, abreak said:

My status also changed to 'selection made.' According to this comment, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, except perhaps that we should hear from them soon!

It seems then that if we don't have a change to funding in a week we were unsuccessful.