Fall 2016 I/O Psychology

I'm applying to about 17 programs (15 PhD, 2 Masters) this time around. Last time I only applied to 5, and found out quickly that a lot of this is up to chance. It's partially a numbers game, and how well you fit with the faculty member's research interests really, really matters. Make sure you know that the professor you're applying to work with is taking students. Not everyone posts it on their websites.  Some of the schools with PhD programs have terminal Masters programs that you can be considered for if they don't consider you ready enough for the PhD. I think George Mason does that. Also, if you haven't already done so, it's helpful to look at the SIOP graduate training program search tool.  There were a few schools that I found this time around that I didn't know about before :) 

I know deadlines are still a bit further out, but is anyone starting to feel like they're crunched for time already? I know I sure am! 

I'm starting to feel like the deadlines are approaching quickly! The first due date for me is December 1st, and I want things done a few weeks before that... I'm applying to 11 programs (7 I/O PhD and 4 Organizational Behavior PhD). I'm hoping that that's enough, but I'm wondering if I should add a few more more. Which programs are you applying to?

Hey guys,

I'm interested in researching personality factors and how they relate to success in the workplace. More specifically, I'm interested in personality assessments as selection criteria. 

I haven't noticed many professors at schools that match my research interests for I/O programs... Would you recommend applying to OB programs as well? I graduated with a B.A in psychology.

Edited by IOgradHopeful

Hey guys,

I'm interested in researching personality factors and how they relate to success in the workplace. More specifically, I'm interested in personality assessments as selection criteria. 

I haven't noticed many professors at schools that match my research interests for I/O programs... Would you recommend applying to OB programs as well? I graduated with a B.A in psychology.

hey IOgradHopeful! Look into Dr. Oswald at Rice, Dr. LeBreton at Penn State, and Dr. Zickar at BGSU. I know they broadly share those interests. Hopefully that is helpful! 

Hi guys,

I am planning to apply I/O Psychology PhD programs for 2016 intake.

I studied engineering at unergrad and my GPA was very low (2.55). I have master`s in I/O (with GPA 3.44). I haven`t taken the GRE yet but my previous GRE score (3 years ago) was terrible (144 verbal and 149 quant). I have several papers and several conference presentations. I know my references are very good. I also worked in the field for a couple of years. When I read about your profiles all I feel is anxiety. I will be applying to Canadian universities. What do you think my chances will be? And which universities accept students similar to my profile?

Edited by phdist
typo

Hello all

I am also just starting the I/O PhD application process. I was just curious about recommendation letters. I have not been in school for over 6 years now, so I have not been keeping in touch with some of my old professors. .I have been working in international HR. I was wondering if anyone believes that letters of recommendation from my bosses are \ enough, or would I have to get one from a former professor or someone in academia?

I was interested in researching in work happiness, motivation or work efficiency. Just hope to improve working conditions in Asia :)

PhD programs require references mostly from academic sources. If you have 2 academic references a 3rd one maybe from your managers. I also had the same problem and a friend of mine said that it is professors OBLIGATION to give you a reference letter. It is a part of their jobs.

I suggest that you do not shy away to go and ask for a letter from your previous professors. The worst scenario is that you give them a lit stating important points about yourself.

Good luck

What GRE scores are needed to be competitive for Ph.D programs? 

GRE scores are relative to the program you are applying to.  And raw scores are't equal across people who take the GRE at different times (administrations).  What programs look at are the percentages your scores fall into.  For some GRE administrations a 140 might mean you are in the 70%, but for someone else at a different administration, a 140 might put them in the 75% (numbers made up).  So please please please, if you feel the need to get reassurances from other applicants (who really aren't qualified to tell you if you are going to get into grad school) at least report your percentile scores instead of your raw scores, that is a better metric to judge against.

Edited by IOSearching

Hey guys! I'm just adding a link to a post on reddit by an IO Psychology professor who is answering questions about grad school. It looked like he would be answering questions for the next few days (through 10/27). This might be a good resource for some of the people on here with questions that are hard for us to know as other applicants!

https://www.reddit.com/r/IOPsychology/comments/3pox8l/iama_the_io_psychology_professor_that_runs_the/

I'm applying to about 17 programs (15 PhD, 2 Masters) this time around. Last time I only applied to 5, and found out quickly that a lot of this is up to chance. It's partially a numbers game, and how well you fit with the faculty member's research interests really, really matters. Make sure you know that the professor you're applying to work with is taking students. Not everyone posts it on their websites.  Some of the schools with PhD programs have terminal Masters programs that you can be considered for if they don't consider you ready enough for the PhD. I think George Mason does that. Also, if you haven't already done so, it's helpful to look at the SIOP graduate training program search tool.  There were a few schools that I found this time around that I didn't know about before :) 

I know deadlines are still a bit further out, but is anyone starting to feel like they're crunched for time already? I know I sure am! 

Wow 17! I'm applying to 12 (10 PhD, 2 Masters) and it already feels like a ton of work. Plus all the money for application fees, sending GRE scores, and transcripts is outrageous... :(

Here's where I'm applying to:

PhD

• Baruch College
  • University of Maryland
  • Michigan State
  • Texas A&M
  • Penn State
  • Teachers College
  • George Mason
  • DePaul
  • University at Albany
  • Rice

Masters

• San Diego State
  • San Francisco State

Wow 17! I'm applying to 12 (10 PhD, 2 Masters) and it already feels like a ton of work. Plus all the money for application fees, sending GRE scores, and transcripts is outrageous... :(

Ain't that the damn truth! I don't know about you, but I took a few classes at different schools during my summers that have really upped the overall cost of sending transcripts. I have to spend about $40 for all 6 of my official transcripts combined, so I'm thankful for the schools where you only have to send in the unofficial transcripts. It's spendy...according to my handy dandy spreadsheet, I'm spending about $2100, not including the GRE test and test prep bulls**tery. 

Anyways, it looks like we have a few overlapping schools! George Mason, TAMU, and maybe Rice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I am currently applying to I/O PhD programs as well. It is very stressful, as you all know, so I'd love to participate in this forum. Do any of you have advice on faculty that don't respond to inquiry emails? Should you try to email them again, or just apply without actually hearing from them? Any thoughts?

Also, is there any advantage (other than stress relief) to applying early (i.e. now) rather than a week or two before the deadline? Does it affect the way your application is viewed?

Hello everyone! I spent the entire morning lurking and reading multiple posts...now I'm filled with anxiety.

I am a 2016 Master's Applicant, and I feel like I am late to the game. I decided late September that I was returning to school and have been frantically researching programs and studying for the GRE.

I took the GRE two years ago and did tragically (QUAN:147/VERBAL:152/WRITING:3) so I am pushing myself to do better this time around. I know PHD programs require competitive scores, but how much weight does it carry for Masters applications? 

I am concerned about the LORs. I was painfully shy in college and barely interacted with anyone, much less professors. There was one professor that mentored me on my honors thesis paper but we were not particularly close. I am still going to take my chances and contact her anyway. However, since most schools require at least 3 recommendations, would it weaken my application significantly to obtain 2 professional ones from previous and current employers instead of all academic recommendations?

I am so grateful for this support group and I hope we can keep each other encouraged throughout this grueling process!

9 hours ago, qqliu11 said:

Hello everyone! I spent the entire morning lurking and reading multiple posts...now I'm filled with anxiety.

I am a 2016 Master's Applicant, and I feel like I am late to the game. I decided late September that I was returning to school and have been frantically researching programs and studying for the GRE.

I took the GRE two years ago and did tragically (QUAN:147/VERBAL:152/WRITING:3) so I am pushing myself to do better this time around. I know PHD programs require competitive scores, but how much weight does it carry for Masters applications? 

I am concerned about the LORs. I was painfully shy in college and barely interacted with anyone, much less professors. There was one professor that mentored me on my honors thesis paper but we were not particularly close. I am still going to take my chances and contact her anyway. However, since most schools require at least 3 recommendations, would it weaken my application significantly to obtain 2 professional ones from previous and current employers instead of all academic recommendations?

I am so grateful for this support group and I hope we can keep each other encouraged throughout this grueling process!

Hey! I was shy too. I have my honors thesis advisor and a professor I've only taken one lab-based class with as two of my recommenders. How long have you been out of school? I think for MA programs professional recommendations will be more acceptable, though realistically you'd want at least two academic references. Also, when are you planning on taking your GREs? 

And take most things on here with a grain of salt. My first application season was spent lurking on here and panicking every time some person posted a "OMG I'M SO WORRIED I'LL NEVER GET INTO GRAD SCHOOL 4.0 GPA, Q:170 V:170, 4 YEARS RESEARCH EXPERIENCE, 5 MILLION PUBLICATIONS 10 MILLION POSTER PRESENTATIONS, WHAT ARE MY CHANCES!?!?!?!!?!?!" post. A lot of this is up to chance: is your PI accepting students? Does your program have funding? How well do your research interests fit? No matter how great your GPA and test scores are, you aren't getting in to a program that doesn't need students that year. I know I'm not the only one here who's applying a second time. 

So I just had a rude awakening this morning. Last night I had sent all my reference writers a checklist with my school information, CVs, personal statement, etc. This morning I woke up way too early but figured I'd check my email to see if anyone answered, and then maybe I'd roll back over and go to sleep. Um. No. I recieved an email from one of my recommenders that started off with the phrase "I have to be honest with you about something..."

Cue the heart palpitations. 

I was told that they've never had anyone ask for letters for more than 10 schools. Ha. My curse (or blessing?) is that there are quite a few researchers with a focus on gender based violence and sexual assault or harassment. I really think I'd be happy at any of the schools, too. Thankfully, my letter writer is still willing to write letters for as many as I decide, but they just want to know that I'm not picking random schools with research interests that may not fit. I think this was just the push I needed to narrow down my list a bit. I had a few schools on there that were okay fits, but were more focused on gender stereotyping than gender violence. My new list is still a wee more than 10, but it's a good list. I just wish I didn't need an early morning heart attack to spur me to cut out some schools :)

Anyone else have trouble narrowing down the list? Or maybe the opposite - anyone having trouble finding enough schools to apply to?

@ihatechoosingusernames

My problem is that my interests are very diffuse.  I am interested in multiple areas of psychology, and so I feel like I'm being disingenuous if I say I only want to research "insert super-specific academic topic here."  My background is more in cognitive psych/cognitive neuroscience, so I'm at a disadvantage applying to I/O programs where many of the applicants will already have extensive experience in the field.  To be honest, I wasn't even considering applying to I/O programs until I learned more about the field a few months ago.  

My test scores are pretty solid (170 V/168 Q; 830 Psychology subject test), but my GPA is a little on the low end (~3.7) , so my admittance chances mostly boil down to whether my research experience is considered acceptable.  Right now I'm just learning as much as I can about each program and advisor so that I can present my research experience as being compatible with the program in my SOP.  The more I read about the application process the more I realize how important "fit" is.  

Edited by St0chastic

10 hours ago, St0chastic said:

@ihatechoosingusernames

My problem is that my interests are very diffuse.  I am interested in multiple areas of psychology, and so I feel like I'm being disingenuous if I say I only want to research "insert super-specific academic topic here."  My background is more in cognitive psych/cognitive neuroscience, so I'm at a disadvantage applying to I/O programs where many of the applicants will already have extensive experience in the field.  To be honest, I wasn't even considering applying to I/O programs until I learned more about the field a few months ago.  

My test scores are pretty solid (170 V/168 Q; 830 Psychology subject test), but my GPA is a little on the low end (~3.7) , so my admittance chances mostly boil down to whether my research experience is considered acceptable.  Right now I'm just learning as much as I can about each program and advisor so that I can present my research experience as being compatible with the program in my SOP.  The more I read about the application process the more I realize how important "fit" is.  

I guess I have a pretty specific research interest, but I could enter into almost any field and make it work. I'm applying to I/O, Social, and Applied/Community programs, and I think I have a pretty strong fit with all of them. I just really love psych as a whole and wish I had enough time and money in life to study more than one field in depth :) 

23 minutes ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

I guess I have a pretty specific research interest, but I could enter into almost any field and make it work. I'm applying to I/O, Social, and Applied/Community programs, and I think I have a pretty strong fit with all of them. I just really love psych as a whole and wish I had enough time and money in life to study more than one field in depth :) 

I know, right?  It's too bad being a student isn't a career.

On 11/4/2015, 3:01:40, St0chastic said:

@ihatechoosingusernames

I think you can play this up as an advantage in your SOP -- just make sure that someone in the program is already engaged in each of the areas of interest you mention. Some programs even recommend that you have several multiple faculty members with whom you would like to work so that they know you are a good fit with the department as a whole. May I ask where you are applying? 

• 2 weeks later...
On November 3, 2015 at 10:57:01 PM, ihatechoosingusernames said:
Hey! I was shy too. I have my honors thesis advisor and a professor I've only taken one lab-based class with as two of my recommenders. How long have you been out of school? I think for MA programs professional recommendations will be more acceptable, though realistically you'd want at least two academic references. Also, when are you planning on taking your GREs? 

And take most things on here with a grain of salt. My first application season was spent lurking on here and panicking every time some person posted a "OMG I'M SO WORRIED I'LL NEVER GET INTO GRAD SCHOOL 4.0 GPA, Q:170 V:170, 4 YEARS RESEARCH EXPERIENCE, 5 MILLION PUBLICATIONS 10 MILLION POSTER PRESENTATIONS, WHAT ARE MY CHANCES!?!?!?!!?!?!" post. A lot of this is up to chance: is your PI accepting students? Does your program have funding? How well do your research interests fit? No matter how great your GPA and test scores are, you aren't getting in to a program that doesn't need students that year. I know I'm not the only one here who's applying a second time. 

AHHH! Thank you! So good to know I'm not the only one. 

Is it a better idea to email the recommender or call? Or both? I moved out of state so I cannot visit my professor at the university. I'm not sure what the protocol is. 

I'm taking my GRE on 12/18. I have been studying but do not feel prepared. 

On November 19, 2015 at 9:51:08 PM, qqliu11 said:

AHHH! Thank you! So good to know I'm not the only one. 

Is it a better idea to email the recommender or call? Or both? I moved out of state so I cannot visit my professor at the university. I'm not sure what the protocol is. 

I'm taking my GRE on 12/18. I have been studying but do not feel prepared. 

I emailed my professor. I also moved out of state, so I know your pain :) Plus, I figured it would give my professor a second to recall who I was. I feel like if I had called and he didn't remember me right off the bat I would have been embarassed and wouldn't have asked him for the letter. When are your application dates? My only concern is that you may be taking your GRE a bit late to apply this year. Some of the schools I've been applying to with a Dec 1 date said not to take the GRE after October 15. That said, if you have later application deadlines you could very well be fine. Good luck on the GRE though! I hate that stupid test and all the time and money that was wasted on it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else apply to Florida International University? I just noticed that there were two different addresses listed for where to send transcripts, and it looks as though they haven't recieved my transcripts yet. At the very least they aren't in the system. Anyone else have the same problem?

Just realized this place exists, could've used it a couple months ago! Very stressful but very excited at the same time!

Has anyone else applied to Minnesota or Bowling Green? My other schools are similar to some of you: George Mason, Michigan State, Akron