Fall 2016 I/O Psychology

Wow, just like JeremyXX, I just realized this place exists. I'm just starting my applications (I'm giving myself the excuse that I was too busy with school). 

Is anyone applying to Florida Institute of Technology? They're the only school out of my pool of schools that is not using an electronic application - they want us to send the recommendation letters, CV, and statement of intent (plus transcript & GRE) over the mail. I called their admissions office several times to ask if the aforementioned materials can be sent through email (out of my distrust and lack of patience over mailed materials), and they consistently replied yes. But it just feels fishy without a systematized electronic application. Did anybody have a similar concern/answer with this school. 

In the meanwhile, I'm glad I found this forum! :D It gives me an outlet to vent out my anxiety/insecurity. I wish everyone good luck. 

13 hours ago, JeremyXX said:

Hows everyones holidays? Anyone get acceptance letters for christmas?

Not for any of my I/O programs! I did get an interview invitation for a social psych program though. I hate going through the results page and seeing all the clinical invites though. Looks like someone received an invite to interview at Texas A&M, and my heart skipped a beat until I saw it was for the clinical track. 

I sent in an early application to a local university where I receive free room and board at home and reduced tuition (in-state) and was accepted!  Very happy as now I do not need to send in a bunch of applications and stress about getting accepted.

Salem State University in Salem, Massachusetts.  Great program including a full semester internship which typically ends up as a permanent job placement.

My stats are low, although I have never gotten below a B- (twice), since I have dyslexia I tend to get a lot of B's.  Since I do not do well with standardized tests I made sure I bumped up the rest of my application and that seemed to help.

GPS:  3.2, but rising

GRE's:  V:157, Q:147, W: 4.5

I/O internship, work as residential counselor at a halfway house, 3 years research experience in PTSD and affects on the workplace.  I have won grants and awards for my research.

Hey everyone, 

I was accepted into Elmhurst's MS program for I/O psychology. Does anyone here have any information about the program at Elmhurst? I'm a little apprehensive since I've been rejected by 2 other schools, and the application process at Elmhurst seemed a bit... quick. 

Hello!

I've been lurking around this thread for a while and finally decided to sign up and participate. Has anyone heard back from any schools? I applied to 18 schools (initially 19 but Purdue emailed me halfway through the application process that they were no longer accepting students for 2016). 

I looked through last year's thread and it looks like some schools (BGSU, University of Maryland, George Mason) have contacted applicants as early as January 9th. I'm filled with anxiety!

Hey guys!

Debating on whether or not I should apply this year.  Do these programs typically require a lot of research experience?  I only have one year being an RA back in 2011 (I've been working full-time since I graduated UCLA in 2012).

My stats: 3.7 GPA GRE: 155 Q 152 V 5.0 AWA

Work experience in sales, HR, staffing.  Some of my programs of target are SJSU, SFSU.

Hello everyone, 

Joining the conversation. A few more apps to complete, but most PhD apps are in. Applied to 7 last year, but didn't get in. Spent a year getting research/applied experience, refining research interests, reading literature, and improving my SOP. So, here I am again for this app cycle. My plan until interviews/visits/decisions (hopefully :)) is to continue reading articles and books relevant to my research interests. Stay hopeful everyone! There's a lot of time for decisions to be made. Here's where I applied:

PhD programs: 

University of South Florida

George Mason University

University of Georgia

Rice University

Clemson University

Master's programs:

George Mason University (pending PhD decision)

University of West Florida

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Middle Tennessee State University

Basic Stats:

GRE - V (166/96%), Q (160/78%), W (5.0/93%)

GPA - 3.72 overall, 4.0 last 6 semesters.

14 hours ago, MD_io_16 said:

Hello everyone, 

Joining the conversation. A few more apps to complete, but most PhD apps are in. Applied to 7 last year, but didn't get in. Spent a year getting research/applied experience, refining research interests, reading literature, and improving my SOP. So, here I am again for this app cycle. My plan until interviews/visits/decisions (hopefully :)) is to continue reading articles and books relevant to my research interests. Stay hopeful everyone! There's a lot of time for decisions to be made. Here's where I applied:

PhD programs: 

George Mason University

University of Georgia

Rice University

Clemson University

Master's programs:

Basic Stats:

It looks like we are applying to some of the same schools. What are your research interests?

17 hours ago, MD_io_16 said:

Hello everyone, 

PhD programs: 

George Mason University

University of Georgia

Rice University

Clemson University

Master's programs:

Basic Stats:

Good luck! I'm also applying to USF, George Mason, and Rice University. :)

On 12/22/2015 at 8:13 PM, chocana said:

Wow, just like JeremyXX, I just realized this place exists. I'm just starting my applications (I'm giving myself the excuse that I was too busy with school). 

Is anyone applying to Florida Institute of Technology? They're the only school out of my pool of schools that is not using an electronic application - they want us to send the recommendation letters, CV, and statement of intent (plus transcript & GRE) over the mail. I called their admissions office several times to ask if the aforementioned materials can be sent through email (out of my distrust and lack of patience over mailed materials), and they consistently replied yes. But it just feels fishy without a systematized electronic application. Did anybody have a similar concern/answer with this school. 

In the meanwhile, I'm glad I found this forum! :D It gives me an outlet to vent out my anxiety/insecurity. I wish everyone good luck. 

I am applying to FIT... and I am also a little anxious about their paper submission process. It's the only school out of 8 that I am applying to that doesn't have another submission option for the items you mentioned. One of my letter writers sent their LOR back in the beginning of December, and FIT has had some trouble locating it (yayyy). Of course, the deadline is in 3 days, so I'll be calling the admissions office this afternoon, again. 

Edited by Sospeso

I was just invited yesterday to interview at Western Michigan for their IOBM master's. Super excited, but very nervous. 

I'm trying to apply to Elmhurst, but their office of admissions has been close to rude in our email conversations, at one point saying I failed to send my GRE scores to the correct office, and then blaming a clerical mistake when they finally admitted that I had done my part correctly. I was told that an adviser would be in contact with me after submitting my application, but that was in November and I've heard nothing. Yikes. (They DID send me a christmas card, though...?)

I've been contacted by a few other schools and am applying to a few more on top of that. I'm especially interested in Roosevelt University. 

I've been on my Uni's dean's list every single semester, have a 3.7 cumulative GPA and will graduate w/honors in April. My GRE-V is 87th percentile, GRE-Q is 52nd, and GRE-A is 80th. I'm the ONLY student at my university with an I/O focus of any kind. I really don't know what I'm doing, but I found this forum today.

So, here I am. 

Sending good vibes!

On the off chance that individuals lurking around this thread are not aware of this survey, please use it to update all 2016 I/O applicants of interviews and acceptance or rejection notices. 

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Industrial%2FOrganizational+Psychology&t=a&o=&p=1

This thread is not as active as last year's so any bit of information helps! :D

Edited by gradschoolapp

What are my chances?

Hey All,

like many of you I have just finalized the last of my applications for Ph.D. programs. Some days I feel like I have a great shot and others I feel like there's no hope. This waiting period is the absolute worst and I can't help but incessantly check the results page. I was hoping if you could give me some genuine feedback and let me know what you think my chances are.

Major: Psychology Minors: Studio Art & Social Entrepreneurship

Cumulative GPA: 3.68

Psychology GPA: 3.91

Junior/Senior GPA: 4.00

GRE (V/Q/A): (157 / 155 / 4)

Research Experience: 2 years in I/O lab and some time in oral biology lab

- Research accepted at 3 conferences (SIOP, APS, MPA)

Work/Leadership Experience:

- Teaching Assistant for Psychology since Aug 2014

- Part-time at retail for 3+ years

- Psi Chi President

I'm definitely a little worried about my GRE and my GPA could be a little stronger. I'm just hoping my application doesn't get tossed immediately. Let me know what you think.

Phd Programs Applied to:

George Mason, Auburn, Saint Louis University (MA to Phd), DePaul, U Akron, University Nebraska-Omaha (MA to Phd), Colorado State, Penn State

On January 16, 2016 at 0:21 PM, ihatechoosingusernames said:

I got a notification that someone looked at my Academia.edu page. Too bad I don't have anything on there! :rolleyes:

Haha solid :D. The POI looked at my LinkedIn but I have yet to be contacted. I hope he didn't "next" me! 

On 1/13/2016 at 5:45 PM, bugabooo said:

I was just invited yesterday to interview at Western Michigan for their IOBM master's. Super excited, but very nervous. 

I'm trying to apply to Elmhurst, but their office of admissions has been close to rude in our email conversations, at one point saying I failed to send my GRE scores to the correct office, and then blaming a clerical mistake when they finally admitted that I had done my part correctly. I was told that an adviser would be in contact with me after submitting my application, but that was in November and I've heard nothing. Yikes. (They DID send me a christmas card, though...?)

I've been contacted by a few other schools and am applying to a few more on top of that. I'm especially interested in Roosevelt University. 

I've been on my Uni's dean's list every single semester, have a 3.7 cumulative GPA and will graduate w/honors in April. My GRE-V is 87th percentile, GRE-Q is 52nd, and GRE-A is 80th. I'm the ONLY student at my university with an I/O focus of any kind. I really don't know what I'm doing, but I found this forum today.

So, here I am. 

Sending good vibes!

I had the same issue with Elmhurst, something about the offices getting mixed up with ETS. I did a phone interview with them and they sent out their first batch of acceptance letters last week.

Edited by eagereyez

3 hours ago, eagereyez said:

I had the same issue with Elmhurst, something about the offices getting mixed up with ETS. I did a phone interview with them and they sent out their first batch of acceptance letters last week.

Yeah, I feel odd about them... But I have an interview with them soon too. Can't hurt to give it my best shot!

I haven't been able to sleep the past few days due to anxiety over this process. It's crazy! Good luck everyone!!!

I am trying to stay close to home so applying to mostly schools on the East Coast (All Master's Programs):

1. NYU

2. COLUMBIA-TC

3. LA SALLE UNIVERSITY

4. UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND 

How selective is NYU's IO program? Does anyone know?

I know the school has a great reputation but it is virtually unknown in the IO field, according to my trusted friend, Google. 

Sending positivity to each and every one of you! 

Canadian applicant here, also overwhelmed with anxiety while I wait to hear back from schools!

I only applied to two programs:

- MA for I/O Psych at University of Guelph

- PhD for I/O Psych at University of Waterloo

Really hoping to hear back soon! Good luck to everyone else :)