Fall 2016 I/O Psychology

Just got an acceptance email from the director of the I/O MA program at my current top choice: Roosevelt University!

A blog post with more details can be expected within the next few days. 

Good luck, everyone!

On 27/01/2016 at 2:02 PM, Flume said:

Canadian applicant here, also overwhelmed with anxiety while I wait to hear back from schools!

I only applied to two programs:

- MA for I/O Psych at University of Guelph

- PhD for I/O Psych at University of Waterloo

Really hoping to hear back soon! Good luck to everyone else :) 

Hey Flume, also a Canadian applicant who just got rejected from my own school (SMU) :( Staying in my own province is no longer an option.

I have two schools left that I've applied to:

- MA for I/O Psych at University of Western Ontario

The Guelph Secretary (Robin) was extremely nice when I was having issues with WebAdvisor fortunately.

Maybe we'll both meet at Guelph some day, good luck! ^_^

So I was going through the historical list of admission/rejection decisions on this website, and found that one program for which I applied showed a strong trend of notifying applicants in late January. With no acceptance/rejection email sitting in my inbox I started freaking out a little bit. Then I had an idea. I checked my spam folder and sure enough it was there! Always check your spam folder, folks!

Sometimes, it pays to be anxious...

On 1/28/2016 at 5:56 PM, bugabooo said:

Just got an acceptance email from the director of the I/O MA program at my current top choice: Roosevelt University!

A blog post with more details can be expected within the next few days. 

As promised, new blog post up. I'm posting here because I know I'm the only I/O blogger, and I hope that's alright! PM/comment/whatever if anyone has questions, notes, ideas, etc.. 
Also, @LMXtreme congrats and now I'm paranoid.

Finally got a formal acceptance to a PhD program! I'm so happy I feel like I could cry, jump for joy, and take a nap all at the same time. It's been an exhausting two application season, and I'm happy to never have to spend another dime on the application process again!

29 minutes ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

Finally got a formal acceptance to a PhD program! I'm so happy I feel like I could cry, jump for joy, and take a nap all at the same time. It's been an exhausting two application season, and I'm happy to never have to spend another dime on the application process again!

Do you mind sending a PM of the name of your PI?  I also interviewed there (if you're talking about the University of Connecticut)...

Edited by c.j.p.cas
Clarity

45 minutes ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

That's really great @ihatechoosingusernames, so happy for you!!! I can only imagine how you feel! Congrats :lol:

UConn is a great school!

Had a structured interview with my POI at UofGuelph (MA) today and was invited to attend open house (which the supervisor mentioned is only for students who successfully completed the interview process), does that usually mean admission into a program? Any insight would be great!

For those of you who have interviewed with University of Akron:

Did you get an interview with your PI, whoever it might be?  Or was it someone you had not mentioned in your SOP?

Background: I had an interview with someone other than the person I mentioned in my SOP.  The interviewer did not frame it as a "phone interview" per se, but a chat about the program and where I was at.  I wasn't sure whether to mention who was in my SOP or not.

So, if this was a phone call to see how I fit into the program, I think it went relatively well.  However, if my interviewer was looking at how I fit into their research...maybe not so much?

I'm just trying to gauge how I might have done.

Any insight would be great! 

Doesn't seem to be a lot of action on here regarding Canadian universities. Has anyone heard anything from the University of Calgary, SMU, Western, or Waterloo?

I had an interview with the University of Windsor this week, hoping it went well! 

12 hours ago, IOhopeful2016 said:

Doesn't seem to be a lot of action on here regarding Canadian universities. Has anyone heard anything from the University of Calgary, SMU, Western, or Waterloo?

I had an interview with the University of Windsor this week, hoping it went well! 

I received an email two weeks ago from a PI at Western I spoke to and mentioned in my SOP; she told me I was on the shortlist for the Masters and was invited to the open house on Feb 12th. I still haven't heard anything from the administration, but she told me the general timeline for the day so I know when to get there.

I also just got an email today from a PI at Waterloo asking me if I want to switch my application from the PhD to the MASc (I'm coming out of undergrad). I'm a bit confused, because all over the website they say you should apply directly to the PhD program. I've also heard this from other schools. Does anyone know if this is a new approach, if they think I'm not good for the PhD program and they want me to apply to the masters, or are they suggesting I apply for the (what I believe to be terminal) MASc program?

This is the email:

" However, we noticed that you applied to PhD—I think you noted it was your preferred choice. More typically, students complete a master’s degree and then apply to the PhD program. Matriculation to the PhD program is typical for interested individuals, but is, of course, dependent upon good performance in the master’s program. Thus, I was wondering if it would be ok with you if we changed your status MASc?"

I'm a bit concerned because I thought the MASc was terminal and therefore not funded, and I'm interested in a funded program. I also was leaning towards waterloo as the PhD is direct entry and it would be much quicker. This definitely changes things, but I should wait for the admission to make that decision anyways.

On 1/27/2016 at 1:02 PM, Flume said:

Canadian applicant here, also overwhelmed with anxiety while I wait to hear back from schools!

I only applied to two programs:

- PhD for I/O Psych at University of Waterloo

Really hoping to hear back soon! Good luck to everyone else :) 

Hey I applied to MA at Guelph too.

POI - Dr. Son Hing, interviewed by Dr. Gill. but no response yet after that hbu? :( Good luck with Waterloo as well!

I think I saw your other post saying you got an invitation to Western as well. Congrats! I haven't heard anything and I was looking forward to work with Dr. Richard Goffin. Who was your POI there if you dont mind me asking

Edited by UofT Grad

8 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

I received an email two weeks ago from a PI at Western I spoke to and mentioned in my SOP; she told me I was on the shortlist for the Masters and was invited to the open house on Feb 12th. I still haven't heard anything from the administration, but she told me the general timeline for the day so I know when to get there.

I also just got an email today from a PI at Waterloo asking me if I want to switch my application from the PhD to the MASc (I'm coming out of undergrad). I'm a bit confused, because all over the website they say you should apply directly to the PhD program. I've also heard this from other schools. Does anyone know if this is a new approach, if they think I'm not good for the PhD program and they want me to apply to the masters, or are they suggesting I apply for the (what I believe to be terminal) MASc program?

This is the email:

" However, we noticed that you applied to PhD—I think you noted it was your preferred choice. More typically, students complete a master’s degree and then apply to the PhD program. Matriculation to the PhD program is typical for interested individuals, but is, of course, dependent upon good performance in the master’s program. Thus, I was wondering if it would be ok with you if we changed your status MASc?"

I'm a bit concerned because I thought the MASc was terminal and therefore not funded, and I'm interested in a funded program. I also was leaning towards waterloo as the PhD is direct entry and it would be much quicker. This definitely changes things, but I should wait for the admission to make that decision anyways.

Congrats on your interview and invitation to Western's open house! 

I'm not sure, only they know the answer, but it sounds to me like a nice way of saying you maybe weren't the first pick for the PhD, but that they still want you to go there, so they are hinting that you could apply to the MASc... Hopefully that's not the case! Good luck!

Edited by IOhopeful2016

1 hour ago, IOhopeful2016 said:

Congrats on your interview and invitation to Western's open house! 

I'm not sure, only they know the answer, but it sounds to me like a nice way of saying you maybe weren't the first pick for the PhD, but that they still want you to go there, so they are hinting that you could apply to the MASc... Hopefully that's not the case! Good luck!

Thanks so much!

Yeah I agree with that, I've heard of people doing that at NYU, but with a super expensive, non-funded MA program (it's like $40k a year). I hope that's not exactly what they're doing in this case.

I emailed them back to ask for some clarification (whether it's funded, whether it's terminal, and whether you can speed through some parts of the PhD if you stay on) and then I'll have to make a decision I guess.

On February 4, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Flume said:

Had a structured interview with my POI at UofGuelph (MA) today and was invited to attend open house (which the supervisor mentioned is only for students who successfully completed the interview process), does that usually mean admission into a program? Any insight would be great!

I was just looking over my emails to my POI for UGuelph and they specifically said that if they decide to make an offer of admission you will be invited to attend the open house, so I think you should be good to go! 

9 hours ago, IOhopeful2016 said:

I was just looking over my emails to my POI for UGuelph and they specifically said that if they decide to make an offer of admission you will be invited to attend the open house, so I think you should be good to go! 

Thank you so much for letting me know! That's the impression I got from talking to one of the POI's grad students, since they replied saying "I hope I've helped make your decision of choosing programs easier". But being the neurotic individual I am, I was still unsure. Thanks again for the clarification, I hope you hear back soon from your POIs :)

On 2016-02-05 at 1:10 PM, eternallyephemeral said:

This is the email:

I heard a few years back that the reason Waterloo doesn't have Masters as an option for their application is to dissuade people who would only go there and leave afterwards (particularly an issue for I/O psychology, since people can get a well paying job after).

As for funding--is the Masters degree only not funded by the school of graduate studies? I'm currently in a master's program, and on the graduate school level, there's no guaranteed funding, but at the departmental level, funding is almost equal to PhD's. Perhaps this is the same case in Waterloo? They may just be putting you at the Master's level to extend your "fundable period" within the department. There's also the added benefit that there's an extra year you'd be eligible to apply for the Doctoral-level SSHRC, along with another year's worth of experience. Definitely talk to your PI regarding the funding structure.

50 minutes ago, Oshawott said:

I heard a few years back that the reason Waterloo doesn't have Masters as an option for their application is to dissuade people who would only go there and leave afterwards (particularly an issue for I/O psychology, since people can get a well paying job after).

As for funding--is the Masters degree only not funded by the school of graduate studies? I'm currently in a master's program, and on the graduate school level, there's no guaranteed funding, but at the departmental level, funding is almost equal to PhD's. Perhaps this is the same case in Waterloo? They may just be putting you at the Master's level to extend your "fundable period" within the department. There's also the added benefit that there's an extra year you'd be eligible to apply for the Doctoral-level SSHRC, along with another year's worth of experience. Definitely talk to your PI regarding the funding structure.

Thanks so much for your insight - it does seem that they may be doing this. I don't get the impression that they want me to do a terminal masters, they very much emphasized the path to the PhD. I asked about the funding structure, so hopefully they will clarify that. If it was one year, I would be more interested but the website (which is extremely confusing) said the masters is two years with an internship. So overall there's a lot of miscommunication. However I see your point.

On 2/6/2016 at 4:26 PM, pri5 said:

With programs that had a deadline on Jan. 15, when do you think they will send out decisions?

Hey, I think it depends on the program.  For example, University of Akron has had phone interviews and have invited some interviewees to their recruitment weekend (as far as I know, they have not sent out accept/reject decisions yet).

I've not seen some other places on the board yet, such as Clemson and SUNY Albany, both of which had a January 15th deadline.

Not sure if this helps or not.

I can't stand it... I want answers! I know we are all worrying ourselves to death--stay strong! On that note, has anyone heard from UGA or UMSL? This is my second application cycle and the uncertainties about my future are kicking in. I have had one interview but haven't heard back. Best of luck to everyone! 

17 hours ago, Southernbelle91 said:

I can't stand it... I want answers! I know we are all worrying ourselves to death--stay strong! On that note, has anyone heard from UGA or UMSL? This is my second application cycle and the uncertainties about my future are kicking in. I have had one interview but haven't heard back. Best of luck to everyone! 

I feel the same way, @Southernbelle91. I haven't heard from UMSL but I was invited to the UGA visitation weekend, which is the weekend of Feb. 19. Good luck!

Hey everyone, I'm finishing up a blog about the interview weekend I attended at Western Michigan University for their I/O MA. It's pretty long, but then so was the weekend! Please let me know if there are any topics anyone would like me to write about in the future.

Here's hoping for more acceptances and offers rolling in this week for everyone!